Author Topic: False MRT call out man faces jail  (Read 4845 times)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
False MRT call out man faces jail
« on: 11:30:52, 12/12/17 »
Magistrates have warned a man who made a hoax MRT call out in Snowdonia that he faces a jail sentence

.http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/man-who-faked-snowdonia-fall-14025097

Evidently he did the same party piece in the Lake District.

Just a shame sentencing  is deferred until January

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: False MRT call out man faces jail
« Reply #1 on: 11:43:16, 12/12/17 »
The article is a bit thin on details. Anyone know more about it?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:41:11, 12/12/17 »
It looks like it may not be the first time that he has been in trouble. But it may be that he would be better of with care rather than prison.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/15332426.__5_000_rescue_operation_after_hoaxer_wanting__new_friends__tells_999_he_s_injured_on_Scottish_hills/

Lemmy

« Reply #3 on: 13:23:54, 12/12/17 »
A few weeks in a cell with a new special friend might make him thing again in future.  He'll get all the attention he craves.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:30:43, 12/12/17 »
He has ADHD and aspergers, apparently.  I doubt that prison will cure that.

Lemmy

« Reply #5 on: 13:34:37, 12/12/17 »
I'm on the spectrum too, and I didn't behave like he does.

One doesn't 'have' ADHD.  Its a behavioural problem caused during the brains development, not a medical condition.  There is nothing physiologically wrong with someone displaying ADHD traits. It is neither defence nor mitigation when weighed against criminal behaviour.

The gent admitted in police interview that he knows what he is doing is wrong, he has rationalised for himself the reasons why he behaves this way, and yet he still does it.  A greater appreciation of the potential adverse consequences may indeed 'cure' his propensity to make false calls to EMS.
« Last Edit: 13:39:23, 12/12/17 by Lemmy »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:42:26, 12/12/17 »
As we become more aware that the issues and problems of society, simplistic black and white answers dont tend to fit anymore and its more and more difficult to lump people into simple catagories of good and bad, etc. Are the Courts up to this complexity?

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:00:58, 12/12/17 »
Perhaps his punishment should be to do something to support/help the Mountain Rescue team. No idea what but just a thought
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:14:13, 12/12/17 »
Perhaps his punishment should be to do something to support/help the Mountain Rescue team. No idea what but just a thought

perhaps sent back to Snowdon or other popular summits and made to clear the rubbish from the hills a few times.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:48:56, 12/12/17 »
I'm on the spectrum too, and I didn't behave like he does.

One doesn't 'have' ADHD.  Its a behavioural problem caused during the brains development, not a medical condition.  There is nothing physiologically wrong with someone displaying ADHD traits. It is neither defence nor mitigation when weighed against criminal behaviour.

The gent admitted in police interview that he knows what he is doing is wrong, he has rationalised for himself the reasons why he behaves this way, and yet he still does it.  A greater appreciation of the potential adverse consequences may indeed 'cure' his propensity to make false calls to EMS.

I apologise if my incorrect use of language upset you. 

The point I was making was that this guy has issues and I doubt that prison is the best environment to sort these out.  I would agree with later posters that a better outcome might be to make the punishment fit the crime, and perhaps in future he might look to assist those looking after our mountains, rather than hinder them - that way, perhaps, he might make the personal friendships he craves.

Paul

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:21:03, 12/12/17 »
I'd confiscate his phone.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:04:53, 12/12/17 »
I'm on the spectrum too

The forum moderators?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:48:56, 12/12/17 »
Each case is different.  But on the face of it, he is happy to endanger the lives of others on a whim. Lock him up for a short period and deter him from doing it again.

Oldtramp

« Reply #13 on: 14:28:36, 14/12/17 »
I have just tried an autism test https://psychology-tools.com/autism-spectrum-quotient/, having no idea whether it is any good or not.  I scored 36 and, apparently, any score of 33-50 puts one 'on spectrum'. 

I found it very easy to resist pressing the 'seek help' button and the end of the quiz, though I'd happily have pressed a 'Aw, get stuffed', one.  That likely confirms the diagnosis.

Excellent.  I thought I was just an awkward old git.  Now I have a medical 'Get out of jail free card' for everything.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:48:39, 14/12/17 »
That was fun, I have no traits. I don't know the in and outs of this case but it is intersting how people decide to make decisions. I couldn't do a right/wrong, yes/no decision, I would experience too many conflicting issues. I'd just let him go and say don't do it again.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy