Author Topic: Route Planner  (Read 4226 times)

medavidcook

Route Planner
« on: 19:07:36, 12/12/17 »
Hello

What do people use to plan there walks?

Apps, software etc

Lemmy

Re: Route Planner
« Reply #1 on: 19:37:22, 12/12/17 »
MapYX Quo.  I have the whole UK at Explorer level.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:47:34, 12/12/17 »
Mapyx Quo but I'm tight and only buy the tiles for the local areas  8)

Regards Keith

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:00:42, 12/12/17 »
I use Bing maps to look and plan, the OS of the whole country on their site is free to view.

I stopped using maps. I just use the app Backcountry on my Android phone, more than good enough for the hiking I do.

If I'm looking for a pub a similar I just tend to go to Google Maps.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:01:21, 12/12/17 »
Garmin's BaseCamp and Google Earth, occasionally bikehike.co.uk  O0
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:16:20, 12/12/17 »
Bing, Bikehike and frequently, imagine if you will, maps.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:20:32, 12/12/17 »
I am a "map man" from Yorkshire i.e. I borrow them from the local library! :D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:30:44, 12/12/17 »
I use Bing maps, especially now I've worked out how to measure the distance of my walk on it  :D

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:21:55, 12/12/17 »
I use the Walking Highlands GPS tool & Bing Maps to plan.  Plus, if an area has been high definition scanned, then I will take a look at the route on Google Earth.  Oh and the Met office of course. O0

Out in the real world I can usually remember a route.  But always have a paper map and compass with me.  Plus my Andriod Phone, which I load my OS maps onto using the "OS Maps" App funnily enough.  I also have the "OS Locate" App on my phone, as in has a great Virtual Compass.  I no longer carry a back up magnetic compass as a result.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:29:39, 12/12/17 »
I use Bing maps, especially now I've worked out how to measure the distance of my walk on it  :D

How do you set routes off road?

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:11:48, 13/12/17 »
I use Google Maps, Bing and paper OS maps to plan walks. I plot my routes on the satellite map that can be saved for offline use on Viewranger.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 00:18:39, 13/12/17 »
MemoryMap or BaseCamp for ideas on where to go and production of the first draft of the route. Then onto GoogleEarth and Wikiloc for refinement of the original plan (and as a source of alternative ideas) to produce a refined draft of route; then back to BaseCamp to put the intended route in the gps and to MemoryMap print out the mapping I need at 1:12500.  It is not as complicated as it sounds, honest, but I have found it the best way to produce route that meets my planning criteria in terms of distance, height gain and going depending on time of year, weather forecast and time/light available.  It s also the best way of anticipating or avoiding snags that are not evident from the map or imagery alone.
I have tried ViewRanger on several occasions but I have found it cumbersome to use on a mixed PC/Android set up so I just transfer the final route to VR and have it as a back up.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 06:44:31, 13/12/17 »
I have tried ViewRanger on several occasions but I have found it cumbersome to use on a mixed PC/Android set up so I just transfer the final route to VR and have it as a back up.

Me too  O0
Where there's a will ...

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:42:37, 13/12/17 »
A very old edition of memory map, which I inherited, sadly without a key so I have not been able to upgrade. I have quite a lot of maps both 1:25k & !:50k. The distance measuring tool is most useful, always use tracks rather than routes and going into 3D view is very useful. My stock of OS paper maps are so tatty that I would rarely carry one, other than carefully wrapped in rucksack. But I always compile a map from piecing together screenshots from Streetmap, The large view is useful, because the scrolling tool in Pipick (screen capture software) produces large tiles to join together with photo editing software.

Somewhere along the way I taught myself to create files to put into my gps unit by building a series of map references together, I even could down load a route file but i just don't seem to have got around to that as the GPS only comes out to pinpoint my position. My route from a scan, printed out from a home printer then laminated seems to be the best option for me, as the maps can always be enlarge or reduced to show the detail I want for a particular route.

Google earth is a very useful adjunct to online mapping, Telltales such as tractor tracks leading to gates etc. can be particularly useful.

Since I am now getting past some of the longer walks in remote places and wish to reach special locations in inhabited countryside, aspect is an important consideration, the need to pass locations where the occupant might take exception to my presence, can be planned for using this available software.

I suppose I am similar to Ninthace and Sussamb, but without the GPS. Just an old dinosaur with a few bits of new techno' tacked on

« Last Edit: 10:48:06, 13/12/17 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:15:28, 13/12/17 »
I must be the odd one out. I make the route up in my head then dig the paper map/maps out, I'll throw either my phone/viewranger or the Garmin in my rucksack and go.
Very rarely bother faffing around with Basecamp and downloading files, life is just to short. Navigating on the move is easier with the Garmin but you can do it with viewranger.
If I'm visiting a new area or country I study the paper maps first, you just can't get the overall picture with a screen. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy