Author Topic: Which one? Which one?  (Read 998 times)

The Wondering Wanderer

Which one? Which one?
« on: 19:51:28, 03/02/18 »
So. My plans for the Tour du Mont Blanc have to wait until next year now (thanks alot car troubles). So I'm hoping to do a UK national trail instead. I'll have up to 10 days to do it.
My main concerns for my 1st national trail are:
I want to camp. No b&bs or hostels or anything.
I don't know if I'll have a water filter by then or not so finding potable water supplies is going to be important. Maybe spend each night at designated camp sites with water points?
Decent places to restock food etc.

I try to do my own research on these things. The tour du Mont Blanc was easy to find all the info I needed. I knew all these things and had a rough itinerary sorted so I knew where and when to stock up on food/water. Where I wanted to stay each night. I just can't find anywhere near as detailed info on the national trails.

1st hand info is always so much more valuable. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks all.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: Which one? Which one?
« Reply #1 on: 22:39:00, 03/02/18 »
Would be good to have some idea of the mileage you hope to cover each day

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #2 on: 00:02:59, 04/02/18 »
Good point.
I'm quite a fast walker and don't take many breaks but for a long distance path I would try to slow myself down somewhat.
I'd probably be aiming anywhere between 10-15 miles a day. Less than 10 I'd be done by midday but if I'm doing more than that I'll take a few forced stops and try to walk slower.
Probably wouldn't be too much to push it to 20 but only every couple of days or so.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:53:22, 04/02/18 »
The Tour du Mont Blance I think is just over 100 miles, the Cotswold Way may be similar. If thats your kind of limit perhaps hike half the Pennine Way from Edale, or half the Coast to Coast perhaps. I dont remember having drinking water problems on any of these routes. Sorry, tell a lie, the section from Byness to Kirk Yetholme can be a bit awkward if the weather is hot and sunny, no water at all in between if I remember correctly? As an alterenative to your car, you could of course consider a coach from Victoria Station to Chamonix, swapping at Paris. Thats what I did, took a while but it was easy and cheap, about £40 when I did it. I did find the site www.rometorio.com very useful for planning routes. The company that I went with is part of the DFDS railways company in France. The coach was so luxurious and included free wi-fi. And of course going by train is very good as well. Both train and Coaches stop in the centre of Chamonix.

Back to water. I use a 2L bladder which sits in my rucksack and I drink from a tube slung over my shoulder. I only carry one small bottle as my emergency supply. I also carry a Lifestraw filter, this was cheap at the time of purchase, its just a plastic tube about 7" long, so easy to pack and I find it perfectly adequate for my needs. When I'm on the trail and don't want to keep sipping from my water bladder I find that cattle troughs are a good scource of water. I have a small plastic cup hanging from my rucksack and I just put it under the ball valve and collect, I do not take the water from the trough itself. If I'm a bit concerned about the water quality I just stick my Lifestraw in the cup and then suck and drink!

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #4 on: 10:11:32, 04/02/18 »
That's all really good info and very helpful. Thanks.

I was planning to fly to geneva for the TMB. The car troubles just stole my hiking savings. We're not really able to replace them in time now. Especially as I'm still getting gear together too.

I've only got 1 set of holiday this year when the TMB is open so I'll just have to try again next year and do something even cheaper this year.

I might keep that coach idea in mind though. I love all forms of travelling by air land and sea. I enjoy the journeys as much as the destinations.

Are those lifestraws good then? I was going to go for a sawyer as I've heard mixed reviews about the lifestraw. It sounds like you're quite happy with yours though. That would make water a much smaller worry.

Cheers for the reply. This is such an easy way of getting advice and info I wish I'd joined a forum earlier.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:40:11, 04/02/18 »
The two that spring to mind are Cotswold Way (just over 100 miles) and Offas Dyke (177). We have done both, CW over 8 days and OD over 12 days. CW will be much easier walking than OD and not nearly so remote. We B& B ‘d though so can’t help with campsites and water. Best places to look are the National Trails website and also search for blogs, some you may find on here. Another alternative would be to walk as much of the South West Coast path as you can in the time you have available. At 630 miles not many people will fit it into one trip!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:21:36, 04/02/18 »
In answer toi your Lifestraw question. I have been presented with three so far. The best one uses a squeeze bag which you fill with water and squeeze into a bottle. Very good, reasonably quick. The other two as GWM says, ( Hint, the usage is in the name) you fill a container and suck up a drink. Very handy. The problem with the straws is that the filter does not have a great life and could I suppose get expensive to replace. Though with having three of them and a "water to go" bottle I don't think that will worry me for a while.

Strangely, at my age, I no longer get socks which I actually like to receive for presents, I get water filtration straws instead. Not complaining, just wondering, why?
Too little, too late, too bad......

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:50:40, 05/02/18 »
Both the South West and Pembrokeshire coast paths are ok for wild camping - just pitch latish outside the agricultural land on cliffs/beach/dunes and as they go from village to village food/water are no problem.
Both would be too long to do in total in your available 10 days but you could start from one end and plan a suitable distance for yourself (use Bing) with suitable transport links.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #8 on: 14:09:24, 05/02/18 »
Ooh.

Coast path sounds like a nice idea. And like you say water and food are never far away. I suppose it doesn't matter if I don't finish the trail. I could do the rest another time.

Thanks for that suggestion.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy