Author Topic: 6 dales challenge - pure challenge  (Read 11507 times)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: 6 dales challenge - pure challenge
« Reply #45 on: 21:25:53, 24/04/18 »

If its not a scam its hard to see how such a business model can have cashflow problems unless they have been suddenly hit with a large VAT or tax bill.Webster's other company went bust last year so people were in effect trusting their money to a failed company director who is either a crook or completely incompetent.With the big bucks involved it was inevitable that this booming industry would attract some very dubious characters.Seven hundred plus starters at £45 a throw is good money for a few days work.

All good points.

The profit margin was enormous...I imagine large chunks of it were swallowed up by directors remuneration.

In addition loads of poor reviews by disgruntled customers from before the latest event was cancelled suggest that company made it near impossible to get legitimate refunds.

It’s sad, but it does look like it may be another example of how our existing limited liability company laws can be exploited. This is an area that should have been tightened up decades ago.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 22:58:07, 24/04/18 »
A statement from the company said they had gone into administration and had ceased trading.

Yes, I read that but who are the administrators? The company saying they are in administration.......and why would they lie?

LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 23:15:14, 24/04/18 »
If I remember correctly, an administration company only need to make themselves known (for want of a better word) to the company's staff and creditors. They possibly put an announcement in a "reputable" newspaper.  That could be for insolvency though  :-\

'Fraid I still think the bloke just really has no business sense, so, unless Humble Pie is a curd cheesecake, I'll remain unconvinced that Pure Challenge was a scam.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 07:38:21, 25/04/18 »
Yes, I read that but who are the administrators? The company saying they are in administration.......and why would they lie?

Obviously, I don’t know what happened in this particular case.

But in general terms, if you want to operate a “business model” where you set up a business where there’s no real drive to give customers the agreed product/ service, but take money from large numbers of customers, get credit from suppliers, pay generous remuneration to self before going “bust”...then they are real benefits to go through all the legal forms if you can.

That way you greatly reduce chances of jail term, and/or becoming personally liable for the debt.

That is why I don’t agree with Mel that the fact a particular company goes through the legal forms is a strong indicator that it cannot (effectively) be a con. Much more telling is the record of the person/s controlling the company concerned.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 08:36:07, 25/04/18 »
I agree about going through the legal process but people only have this companys word for it that they have went into administration, I’ve seen no other evidence.

With the recent record that this company has then who would believe them?

LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 09:49:57, 25/04/18 »
I agree about going through the legal process but people only have this companys word for it that they have went into administration, I’ve seen no other evidence.

With the recent record that this company has then who would believe them?

https://www.gov.uk/put-your-company-into-administration

Surely a notice would have to be posted advising creditors who the administrator is?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 11:17:21, 25/04/18 »
When companies enter administration a notice is served at Companies House.  No notice is showing up yet at Companies House, which might mean the administrators haven't yet filed the return , or that the directors are telling porkies to buy some time.

It should be possible to ring the company and ask for the administrator's name.

Paul

als31

« Reply #52 on: 12:46:42, 25/04/18 »
There were a number of other challenges organised by Pure Challenge Ltd both this year and next and it seems that there are possibly thousands of customers now out of pocket. Many of these paid months ago and are outside PayPal's 180 day buyer protection limit so are finding it difficult to get refunds. Some of us have been lucky and have managed to get refunds through our banks and credit card companies. There is no administrator as Pure Challenge Ltd is still an 'active' company according to Companies House. Initially, when  I heard the news about PC, I thought it was just 'bad luck' and that they were a genuine business who had run out of money, but having done a bit of research it seems that the director of Pure Challenge Ltd has been or is still the director of many companies since 2011 - at my last count 6 are dissolved and 6 are still active - they don't seem to last very long, generally around 18 months. It seems that once accounts and paperwork are due the companies are dissolved (compulsory strike off being a common theme), surely not the tactics of a genuine businessman.

For those still interested in the 6 Dales Challenge and not confident to navigate alone without 'back-up', Large Outdoors Ltd are putting on a replacement guided walk on the same date at a cost of £30 per person - details are on their website.

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #53 on: 13:48:34, 25/04/18 »
Well Mel from that link it seems they have a history of cancelling these challenge walks and people not getting their money back!

Added - https://www.largeoutdoors.com/event/pure-challenge-replacement-events/

als31
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

tkrugby

« Reply #54 on: 22:43:46, 11/05/18 »
I also have paid with several friends to do the six dales but have only just found out what is going on as we were expecting our packs to come through. Of course, they haven't. We have also prebooked and paid for our accommodation. We are undecided but does anyone know the route and where it would have started from please? May do part or all of it anyway.

Tolly

« Reply #55 on: 06:40:02, 16/05/18 »
Hi there,we also paid pure challenge but we have decided to go ahead with the walk as we are doing it for charity I am sure as long as you start of with necessary provision s could pick up top ups on the way

andrea.m.smith

« Reply #56 on: 16:50:48, 29/05/18 »
My friend and I were booked to do the 6 Dales Challenge. As we are travelling from Scotland, have booked flights and 2 night's accommodation, we are still keen to do all or part of the route. Happy to join others on the day. Please message me if you are interested.

Thanks
Andrea & Susan

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 09:01:44, 30/05/18 »
 If the company still has assets and is trading it is surely a case of fraud? Have the police been contacted?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 21:11:01, 30/05/18 »
The company has still not filed any insolvency docs, has anyone been down to the registered office?  Sit in reception and ask for the money back? Experience says the owner/directors wait for the fuss to die down, then apply for a voluntary dissolution and bingo, all gone. 

hollylucycharlotte

« Reply #59 on: 08:17:16, 06/06/18 »
Hi

I have only just found out that the company has gone bust. Not the best but things happen and I'll see if I can get my funds back.

Are people still walking and what is the meeting / starting point?

Cheers Holly

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy