Author Topic: As I age, what to do next?  (Read 4586 times)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: As I age, what to do next?
« Reply #15 on: 13:10:26, 18/04/18 »
At risk of going (slightly) off topic, is that a basking shark Owen?  Where were you? Amazing photo.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:22:00, 18/04/18 »
It is a Basking Shark, no teeth to worry about. There were five of them around us on the south coast of the Isle of Canna in the Inner Hebrides.

Troggy

« Reply #17 on: 08:33:25, 19/04/18 »
Well! If you fancy canoeing, the have a bash and see if you like it. But, to me, there's nothing to stop you carrying on walking but maybe not as far. It depends a lot on the state of health, I suppose, rather than age. I also think that, like barewirewalker has written, it's your perception rather than activity change that might benefit you (though try whatever other activity you fancy but not so much as an alternative rather, more as an enrichment to your life)
A mate of mine is in his late 70's and has no bother still walking the Wainwright hills and there was a bloke who I met in Llangollen, that I got nattering to and he'd celebrated his birthday by climbing Snowdon.
So if you still enjoy walking and wildcamping and can still do it, then why not carry on but mix it up with the idea you've got about using your vehicle to kip in while you try out some canoe courses and holidays.
I like what BWW has said and that's the way I look at being out in the country. I went on the Ridgeway last year (only for a few miles) and fancy walking along it again this year but I'm not really that bothered how far I'm going to walk, it was just magical being on the same footpath that has been in use for thousands of years.
So I think its not so much "how far" but how good anything that we do makes us feel, when we go out into the countryside.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:08:09, 20/04/18 »
Thank you everybody, I've read each entry with great interest and its helped me to get a grasp of the activity and perhaps where I start from. If I go down this route I will not obviously mange much in 2018, but I certainly can find the time do get into the basics, go on a course and so on. Again, thank for very much for your information.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:22:32, 20/04/18 »
I've fancied canoe camping for a while. I hope to give it a shot this summer. I did ask a couple of canoe hire firms when in Ross on Wye but they had strict policies of specific campsites only (you had to give them an itinerary) and I wanted more freedom.

I read Wild Camping by Stephen Neale: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Camping-Exploring-Sleeping-Ireland/dp/1472900340 and he indicates that canoeing can open up some wild camping opportunities that might otherwise be less available due to laws allowing camping on the "foreshore" or whilst collecting bait or night fishing. But when I walk rivers it seems to me that they are such desirable spots for properties that many navigable rivers are just about the least wild spots you could imagine.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 01:00:11, 25/04/18 »
I canoe with my son and I also climb mountains with him.  If you asked me which I am most likely to still be doing when I'm 80. Assuming I'm still around, I would say walking the hills?  It's just easier IMHO.

dartmoorrambler

« Reply #21 on: 09:16:32, 08/05/18 »
Just keep on walking!

Join a local walking group.

Our local group - Newton Abbot Ramblers - has people in their mid 80s doing regular walks of 10 miles. Our program has walks each week for all distances and abilities from 2 miles to 12 miles
www.newtonabbotramblers.org/ [nofollow]

KimE

« Reply #22 on: 08:28:46, 12/05/18 »

A company in northern Sweden makes a helicopter lift to a top of a mountain/fjäll/fell with a 9km walk down (could be extended) its suite both old people and children and you end it at a wilderness restaurant in roadless country.

"I've fancied canoe camping for a while. I hope to give it a shot this summer. I did ask a couple of canoe hire firms when in Ross on Wye but they had strict policies of specific campsites only (you had to give them an itinerary) and I wanted more freedom."

We have the right of canoeing and wildcamping for one night at each place in the whole of Sweden exept in some nature reservation areas.

hinterfeld

« Reply #23 on: 10:18:00, 06/07/18 »

I'm now 65 and have arthritis in both wrists & thumbs (probably caused by to much climbing and canoeing  ;D ;) )
I just stick to walking now  :)
Its great fun (canoeing & walking).

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:00:35, 06/07/18 »
Cameron mcneish is a great advocate of packrafting.

And it would be worthwhile learning to swim, gunwharfman; not only from the safety point of view either - swimming is a great all round exercise that places very little strain on the joints.
« Last Edit: 11:05:42, 06/07/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy