Author Topic: Day sack dilemma!! Find me a (cheaper) alternative!  (Read 2433 times)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
Re: Day sack dilemma!! Find me a (cheaper) alternative!
« Reply #15 on: 10:10:11, 20/04/18 »
Twiggy, ultimate outdoors don't stock the one I want (or not as far as I can see) so the price match doesn't help in thsi case - and they are a bit of a trek for me.

Glyno - ha ha! I certainly wouldn't be using it for summiting Helvellyn! When we had a walking holiday in Tuscany, my normal 24 l day sack was too big for the amount if stuff required and my 4l hydration pack just a bit to small for both my lunch, outer layer, hat, sunscreen etc. Hence looking for something in between. Off to Norway soon and really this is what I want the pack for...

Maggot - ha! My husband covets fjall raven, especially the ones made of recycled products, so I might be in trouble if I got one of those!! To be comfortable I need a back pack tho.

Lakeland lorry - that deuter certainly looks like a good option. I'll have to see if I can see one in the flesh, as it were...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:48:17, 20/04/18 »
I went in GO today.  Luckily (for my purse) they didn't have the Osprey pack in the shop  ;D

nesty

« Reply #17 on: 19:54:39, 22/04/18 »
https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-red-grey-bike-rucksack/p/096264221229404

Not sure if this any good? Seems quite reasonable. Looks like it has mesh suspension system on it

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:39:09, 23/04/18 »
Gosh, Nesty - it's probably worth buying it just to see. I think Aldi has free delivery - not sure about returns though. Shame about the colour  - I am so shallow...

nesty

« Reply #19 on: 18:33:54, 23/04/18 »
Gosh, Nesty - it's probably worth buying it just to see. I think Aldi has free delivery - not sure about returns though. Shame about the colour  - I am so shallow...

If you go on the Aldi site and search 'rucksack' make sure you search all (not just special buys), there are another 4 products. Aldi now do online service, on other stuff which isn't necessarily in the weekly special buys section!
Though, they say these are bike rucksacks, I used my bike Vaude Aquarius 10L for walk day hikes, but found I required larger. The bike ones work, just as well for walking out etc.   

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:48:19, 23/04/18 »
Lowe Alpine make some quite large capacity waste belts, some are nearing 10L in capacity, which is certainly large enough to carry a full set of waterproofs, wind top, map and compass, and provisions for a day in the hills.
My personal favourites for Day sacs, are those manufactured by Camelbak, not because of their ability to store several litres of water, which in its self is important.
Ive got two Camelbak sacs, one a very old Cloudbreaker, that's done the three peaks challenge, three times, never on my shoulders but always borrowed by friends.

Its the materials used in their manufacture, their very high quality, and the stitching is very precise, almost as if their done by hand.

My Cloudbreaker is well over twenty years old, but looks new, and the nylon used for its construction, is made from a heavyweight ripstop material.

My favourite is the Camelbak Mule, which has more than enough capacity for a day out, and has one of the most comfortable and adjustable shoulder straps known to man.

Once its on your back, you simply have no idea its there, its really that cosy, and has four separate compartments, as well as smaller pockets for keys or spare change, and yet again, beautifully made.
« Last Edit: 19:54:25, 23/04/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy