Author Topic: C2C Detailed Planning  (Read 2120 times)

johnberman

C2C Detailed Planning
« on: 08:38:04, 22/04/18 »

Hi so im planning my C2C walk going from West to East in late June, I have read quite a bit but am now looking at the detail

I have bought the Coast to Coast Walk M Wainright and Coast to Coast Path  H Steadman

Both are excellent and have detailed instructions for each section.

I was hoping I could get each sections instructions and print them for each day as I go along - Does this sound sensible or am i going over the top - if its sensible are they on line so I dont have to type them up

Thanks in advance

John B

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C Detailed Planning
« Reply #1 on: 09:57:46, 22/04/18 »
I rely on a GPS track so if you have one or an app like ViewRanger on your phone I can let you have a gpx file
Where there's a will ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:06:37, 22/04/18 »
We now cut out the relevant pages for that days walk so that we are only carryng those.  Yes ruins the book, which is why we never did it on our first couple of LDPs., but you learn as you go along.  We now have several guidebooks on the shelf held together by an elastic band!

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:34:22, 22/04/18 »
I carried the steadman and a-z map book once I got to Richmond I decided I didn't really need the steadman anymore. Like rural roamer I just cut out the pages.
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Maggot

« Reply #4 on: 19:19:46, 22/04/18 »
https://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/Coast-to-Coast-map-set-YHWRCCK.html#SID=4

No guidebook desecration needed.  These are waterproof, linear sectional maps and will solve all your problems.

But also take a little guidebook, they are great for little nuggets on the way.

If you don't want to carry a set, simply book your B&Bs on the way, then walk from the start to the end of guidebook one, but the day before you set off send your number two the B&B!  Repeat this for all the sections, and when you get to the end of one guidebook, send it back to yourself at home.  That way you get an up-to date guide, in one piece, and a message from home every few days. 

Or ditch the flippin gaiters and take a guidebook with the weight saving  ;)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:00:57, 23/04/18 »
I use the Wainwright guidebook and it's very good maps.
The 1:40,000 Harvey strip maps (which Ive tried) are useless imo. Not enough detail in places, best stay with 1:25,000 os.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:35:19, 23/04/18 »
When I first did the C2C, est to west, I used Harveys maps. I'm coloured blind (red/gree I believe) and I could only read them in natural daylight. If in a pub, under lights, all I could see was a blur.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:59:27, 23/04/18 »
My maps usually look like that too, after I've had a few drinks :buck2:

Maggot

« Reply #8 on: 18:11:47, 23/04/18 »
When I first did the C2C, est to west, I used Harveys maps. I'm coloured blind (red/gree I believe) and I could only read them in natural daylight. If in a pub, under lights, all I could see was a blur.

Yep, me too. I have had nights where I need a map to get to the bar  ::) ;)

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:59:45, 24/04/18 »
I use the Wainwright guidebook and it's very good maps.
The 1:40,000 Harvey strip maps (which Ive tried) are useless imo. Not enough detail in places, best stay with 1:25,000 os.

the a-z map book uses os maps 1;25,000 one book does the whole walk
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy