Author Topic: Pre loaded cards - useful for hiking?  (Read 1893 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Pre loaded cards - useful for hiking?
« on: 12:08:12, 28/04/18 »
A friend of mine stayed last night who had just returned from Spain. He uses a pre-loaded card for his Euros, which he likes, doesn't have to worry about carrying so much cash with him. I can understand some of his reasoning but still cannot get my head around why it is any better (is it better?) than my debit or credit card. His cards obviously, well I assume anyway that they charge him fees and if he uses an ATM abroads I presume the ATM will charge him as well? I may or may not be wrong about this. Anybody know anything about these cards to guide my thinking as to their possible good use when i go hiking.

Coincedentaly, my wife and I received new credit cards this morning, contactless ones!!!! I phoned my bank and had a little, but polite rant about how stupid these things are and asked why are our banks, who are suppossed to protect our money, offering us something that doesn't protect us at all??? They didn't quibble, not even for a split second, which makes me even more suspicious of their motives towards me their customer. The member of staff made NO ATTEMPT WHATSOEVER to defend this product. We will get new ones which require a PIN number next week.

My view of contactless cards is that they are potentially dangerous to us the people who may use them, once lost or cloned they can be used to steal loads of money from our accounts. A least with an ordinary card, if stolen the thief would have to spend some time working out what my PIN number is first, with a contactless card you just need to wave it over a machine and as long as its less that £30 per transaction the villain is quids in! Mt wifes friends aunt lost £1200 over Christmas, someone 'borrowed' her card and went on a spending spree, mostly bought sctratchcards with the money.

I'd still prefer to carry less cash with me when hiking. Whats the best way?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Pre loaded cards - useful for hiking?
« Reply #1 on: 12:18:46, 28/04/18 »
I have a Caxton euro card that I use on my frequent trips to France.  There are no fees to use it.  The advantage is that you can pre-load it when the pound is strong and you then know exactly what you have on the card.
Where there's a will ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:32:36, 28/04/18 »
I once used a Post Office pre loaded card abroad. There are charges very similar to travelers cheques, not sure I would use one again. I guess they just handier than carrying cheques about and you can use them at ATM's which is quicker.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:32:03, 28/04/18 »
I'm going to look at Caxton, thats the card my friend has. Then I'll have a look at some others. Thanks very much.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:42:18, 28/04/18 »
It depends what your bank charge for foreign transactions and also how cheeky they are with the exchange rate.

We found it made sense to take one to the US for card purchases. It was cheaper than our debit and credit cards.

Haggiseater

« Reply #5 on: 23:18:05, 07/05/18 »
I had one of these cards preloaded with quite a bit of money for a month long holiday in Australia with the intent on using it, amongst other things, for rental cars.
The car hire firms wouldn't accept it so I had to use my credit card and bring the prepaid card home with lots left on it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:54:12, 08/05/18 »
Which card?  I've used my Caxton card throughout EU and in the US without any problems.  Only issue is that some petrol stations especially the 24 hour ones in France won't take it so generally pay cash there.
Where there's a will ...

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #7 on: 06:23:58, 09/05/18 »
I also have a caxton card for use abroad. It's only free to use abroad.

Be aware that different prepaid cards are geared towards different uses. If you want to use it in the uk don't get a caxton as they're marketed as currency cards. They're free overseas but not here at home.

Then there are others that are the exact opposite.

Whatever you want it for you'll find one out there. It's just a matter of finding the right one for you.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy