Author Topic: Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug  (Read 2952 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug
« on: 08:56:51, 02/05/18 »
I found this email in my spam. Below is the content of the email. A cause for concern? I wonder if they will start charging? I hope all the links to the pics remain the same so the trip reports aren't all cocked up.

"We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.

SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.

Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.

We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.

Thanks,
The Flickr Team"
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug
« Reply #1 on: 09:14:38, 02/05/18 »
Oh hell, it took me ages to move all my photos from Photobucket to Flickr and now this.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:29:00, 02/05/18 »
According to the help forum (link below) there won't be any changes as such and it will continue to be free.I don't think I would be that bothered if they started charging as long as it was a reasonable amount.

https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157668144275058/
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:24:52, 02/05/18 »
I had one of those and didn’t even know I had a Flickr account!

I did a bit of digging, it is linked to an old Yahoo acount that has long since lapsed so I am not sure how the message got to me. I tried to log in using an old ID and the I forgot my password trick but I couldn’t get past the second security question. Apparently I didn’t grow up where I thought I did!
I’ve already  deleted the email from Flickr so I cant follow that route. Smugmug will just have to preserve whatever is in there without my help.
« Last Edit: 13:42:01, 02/05/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:53:43, 02/05/18 »
Oh hell, it took me ages to move all my photos from Photobucket to Flickr and now this.
That's the first thing I thought of, the Photobucket fiasco. It wasn't just the storage of your hosted photos, they broke a vast number of online posted links to them overnight by preventing hotlinking for free accounts. Sorting that out would be a major task for many users and in some cases not feasible at all (I don't know if FlickR provide any help with this here in the form of redirected links, I suspect not).

Going for any free cloud service is a very bad idea for anyone that uses the facilities seriously. They can alter the terms, as in this case, or withdraw them completely if they don't make enough.
Be especially wary of Google - they've got form. A vast number of people, even small businesses, are deeply enmeshed in their ecosystem for all kinds of things and will find it very difficult to get out.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:02:46, 03/05/18 »
I fear the worst  :(
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

LeopoldRud

« Reply #6 on: 17:14:08, 04/05/18 »
I'm more surprised that SmugMug is able to afford the acquisition. More power to them I suppose. I wonder what they'll do with Flickr.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:14:43, 05/05/18 »
Balls it up?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy