Author Topic: Cows and horse  (Read 1950 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Cows and horse
« Reply #15 on: 17:49:25, 18/05/18 »
... It makes no difference so I have been told if you get chased if you have a dog or not..

Aye, that's true however animals are more likely to be protective of their young if there is a dog near them (on or off a lead) as the livestock associate a dog as a predator.

....I personally can't understand anyone who would have a dog off leash with lifestock...

Aye, neither can I.

However, if a walker has a dog (on a leash) and starts to get chased by livestock then the advice is to let the dog off the leash.  The dog is far more nimble than the livestock and will escape.  An added bonus is that the "loose dog" distraction may give you enough time to reach safety.

... I would not let my dog off leash chased by livestock..

That is your choice of course.  Possibly a good choice if your dog is badly trained or an aggressive breed which may harm the livestock.  Having said that, if that's the case it should be muzzled in public anyway.

...I feel farmers have a right to keep livestock under control where there are public rights of way too.

I sort of agree though I don't think "keep livestock under control" is the right phrase.  For example, a normally docile female horse coming into season is going to be far more skittish and flighty - hormonal, if you like!  What I do think would be useful for farmers to do could be to provide a temporary alternative route avoiding any field with livestock.  We can't expect them not to graze their animals on a field just because the stock "might" become agitated and chase somebody but it would be helpful/useful if there was an alternative path or easily accessible escape route just in case!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy