Author Topic: 8 Things I learned doing my first LDW (PW)  (Read 2577 times)

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
Re: 8 Things I learned doing my first LDW (PW)
« Reply #15 on: 22:03:36, 18/07/18 »
I can agree with you on all your points though I don't walk in the summer so water is ok and no blisters since my early 20s. and I'd slimmed the back pack to 5 kg  previously not camping though. Very well written too. 
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:12:54, 19/07/18 »

Congratulations on completing the Pennine Way, Daniel - and I enjoyed reading your tips.

Interesting point about camaraderie - I usually like to escape people on the hill, but on Monday I joined the hordes going up Ben Nevis with my family. We did notice the same faces as we were passed by and then overtook other parties, and got chatting to a few people, in particular a father with his 9 year old son (they made it to the top). And there was cheering on the summit when the sun (momentarily) broke through the mist - not the kind of mountain experience that I normally look for, mind you.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:28:32, 19/07/18 »
Mountain tops can sometimes be interesting places. A few years ago I was nearly at the top of Skafell Pike, when I saw ahead of me a bloke with unmistakable long hair. I instantly knew, even though I couldn't see his face that it was 'Shirley Temple', a fellow student from University days, that was his nickname because his hair was so bulky and distinctive. I shouted his name out and he responded immeadatly to my call. We hadn't seen each other for about 30 years and he told me that nickname was long back in his past. Up close he obviously had aged but apart from some grey his hair was still there. We had a beer together later that day but we havn't seen each other since. I always hope that as I hike, I might meet others from my past, but its never happened.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:20:37, 23/07/18 »
Well done, you were brave starting off with the Pennine Way! We started small and built up to it.  I always use walking poles now for a LDW, and always have a plentiful supply of compeed  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy