Author Topic: One of those days ...  (Read 1101 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
One of those days ...
« on: 14:40:25, 31/07/18 »
Picked up my rucksack today to see the bottom was wet, my hydration bladder purchased 6 years ago had started to leak.  No worries I thought, only off for a short walk so it'll do.  Half way around the walk the zoom in button on my Etrex 20, also purchased 6 years ago, failed!

They say things come in 3s so the only other thing I bought 6 years ago is my Lowe Alpine Airzone 35L, at least if that fails I've just bought a 35+10L one  ;D

Getting a new hydration bladder this afternoon, Millets is local and is doing 30% off at the mo, so a tenner.  Fixed the switch on the Etrex once I was home but no idea if it's a permanent fix or not.  If anyone sees any good deals please post  :)
Where there's a will ...

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Re: One of those days ...
« Reply #1 on: 21:57:57, 01/08/18 »
As the hydration bladder aged did it affect the taste of the water? Sounds like you had good value from this one  :D

Regards Keith

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:18:13, 01/08/18 »
Nope.  Apart from the leak it was fine although I had replaced the tube  O0
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:25:04, 02/08/18 »
My Source bladder leaked recently, I'd had it a long time as well. I noticed because as I hiked I was suddenly aware of a wet bum! I've just bought a new one.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:16:26, 02/08/18 »
Nope.  Apart from the leak it was fine although I had replaced the tube  O0
Thanks sussamb, must try a bladder because I find the metal water bottles do leave a taste as they age.
Regards Keith

Marsden Moor

« Reply #5 on: 20:36:57, 03/08/18 »
What I do when my water bottles start to taste a bit off is get some hot water, fill container two thirds full then drop a couple of denture tablets in once they’ve stopped fizzing fill to top with hot water put the bottle top on loosely and leave overnight

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:51:01, 03/08/18 »
<What I do when my water bottles start to taste a bit off is get some hot water, fill container two thirds full then drop a couple of denture tablets in once they’ve stopped fizzing fill to top with hot water put the bottle top on loosely and leave overnight>

Mmmm O0 ;)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:38:44, 03/08/18 »
With new plastic water bottles / collapsible water carriers I fill them with a dilute bleach (just strong enough to smell the bleach) give them a good shake and leave them 24 hours, rinse a couple of times and the plastic taste is gone.

Milton* (baby sterilising fluid) is basically just bleach and if its Ok for a baby, it'll do for me.

*Milton Sterilising Fluid can be bought from most local pharmacies or supermarkets. Milton Sterilising Fluid is a form of bleach and contains sodium hypochlorite 2%.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 00:29:24, 04/08/18 »
Just used a Milton tablet on my new Osprey bladder.  My advice is to rinse really thoroughly afterwards, the taste really lingers, beats me how babies put up with it.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:56:04, 04/08/18 »
Baby's have to go through a lot!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy