Author Topic: map ownership  (Read 6048 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
map ownership
« on: 12:58:24, 21/09/18 »
Serious question.
I use Viewranger and have a Garmin GPS device.

On both I have purchased maps for my day to day walking use.
I note others use these software apps/devices as well as others such as Memory maps.
How is my ownership of those map files affected if the company were to go bust and the app cease to exist? Or does ownership of software based products only exist in an imaginary parallel universe.
At least with paper maps I can continue to use as long as the paper physically lasts even if OS went belly up, and if Parliament removed their statutory duties which is a huge measure of protection for us taxpayers and possible subsidisers of that service.

Too little, too late, too bad......

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: map ownership
« Reply #1 on: 13:04:05, 21/09/18 »

Interesting question, and similarly, if you are storing 'stuff' in a 'cloud' and the cloud is closed down - what happens to all your 'stuff'.

I had loads of pictures stored on Photo-Bucket which I can no longer access unless I pay (to me) exorbitant sums of money.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:09:20, 21/09/18 »
Well even if Garmin went bust your GPS and maps will still continue to work.  VR will also be ok provided you've downloaded the maps to your phone.  The issue may be if you later change your phone.
Where there's a will ...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:56:22, 21/09/18 »
My complete set of UK 1:25k and 1:50k MemoryMaps are on the hard drives of two computers and backed up onto an external HD as well. Whenever I've had to reinstall the operating system on either computer, I've simply downloaded the free MM software and added my maps to it.

My original Anquet maps, however, are on a CD that is too old to get a new code if it needs reinstalling, which is a bit annoying considering I once paid for it. I was about to give up when a computer-whiz on this forum contacted me and very generously gave me access to a code generator he had once made especially for it; this still worked and it saved me a lot of anguish (and the expense of purchasing replacements).   

I'm a great fan of cloud storage, primarily for syncing data between computers, but I won't consider any service that doesn't have a downloadable local client, as it is called, so the stuff is in a folder on your computer as well as in the cloud. That way, if the service goes t*ts up you don't lose anything.
« Last Edit: 18:00:58, 21/09/18 by fernman »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:14:40, 21/09/18 »
I have my purchased VR maps stored on an SD disk which is currently in my GPS phone as extra storage.  I'm assuming all the time I have the VR app on that phone I'll be able to use them.  If VR (the "company") went bust I'm assuming the app would still be on my phone but I'd never get anymore updates for VR.  If they removed the app completely (not sure how/if they can if it's downloaded on my phone?) then the VR maps remaining on my SD disk would be pretty much useless as you need the VR app to view them.

.... That's as I understand it anyway  :-\

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:26:02, 21/09/18 »

Doesn't answer the OP question but "I'm OK Jack" as I use SatMap

I have 400 OS (total UK) at 1:25,000, and 200 OS (total UK) at 1:50,000 plus the whole of UK OS at 1:10,000 on an SD card, as long as the 'machine' keeps working (I have 2x spare) then I should be OK.

The SD cards are not up-dated, but they do enough for me.

I do prefer a separate device to relying on the phone for everything.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:28:27, 21/09/18 »
Spokily enough I was thinking about this yesterday.  I use the mobile downloads from the current 25k explorer maps.  The licence says I should only have maps downloaded to one device at a time.  Though in practice I have to admit to having a copy on my phone, for out and about and a copy on my tablet, for route planning at home.  I also have a lovley Set of Times atlas', that I have scanned into a database on my PC.

So I guess the answer to the OPs question is basically. Possession is 9 10ths of the law.  O0

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:36:08, 22/09/18 »
Possession of an object I. E. A download is one thing. Being able to use it is completely different.  If my hardware were to go kaput which is to be expected and the phone/garmin device had to be replaced then those down loaded maps would have nothing to run on would they.Or if I had not downloaded the maps and the mapping app went bust I wouldn't  even have an unusable file.In fact this question covers ebook,  streamed dvds, digital downloads of anything. Do we really own any of it? How could a court force a defunct company to hand over digital use of your purchased items?My brain hurts.

Dyffryn will understand as he probably has loads of those Philips Video discs in a wardrobe somewhere and no machine capable of playing them anymore even though they were the best quality available when he bought them after a 15 hour drive in a remote Welsh newsagents on the way up Snowden.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:41:14, 22/09/18 »
Dyffryn will understand as he probably has loads of those Philips Video discs in a wardrobe somewhere and no machine capable of playing them anymore even though they were the best quality available when he bought them after a 15 hour drive in a remote Welsh newsagents on the way up Snowden.

He'll be ok as he'll have another 4 machines capable of playing them still in their plastic wrapping  ;D
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:12:25, 22/09/18 »
He'll be ok as he'll have another 4 machines capable of playing them still in their plastic wrapping  ;D
O0 ;D

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:04:37, 22/09/18 »
I use the mobile downloads from the current 25k explorer maps.  The licence says I should only have maps downloaded to one device at a time. 

That's odd, viewranger lets you have it on up to 4 or 5 device at a time.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:12:25, 22/09/18 »
Funny you mention that.  I have my old phones with older versions of the OSmaps app loaded.  So I do in fact have a growing number of backups. I was warned, by the helpful tech chap at OS customer services, not to try and load newer versions, of the OSapp, to older phones.  So be Carefull on that one or eventually you load one that is ahead of your phone's operating system and can not go back, so it becomes useless.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:21:04, 22/09/18 »

Mine certainly does.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:02:28, 22/09/18 »

I re checked the FaQs on the OSmaps site.
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-maps-app-faq-android.html#myactivitiessync
 They state that the paper map downloads can be down loaded to multiple devices.  Then state:- Our terms state that each map should only be downloaded to one device at a time.

This is quite restrictive.  It also appears to not be inforced, within reason.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:18:14, 22/09/18 »

It's up to 4
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy