Author Topic: Smelly rucksack straps  (Read 2631 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Smelly rucksack straps
« Reply #15 on: 23:29:53, 31/10/18 »
I live in a bedsit so bath tubs and washing lines are out of the question although I can get by using bowls and hanging the rucksack in my shower. I wish I had room for an embarrassing number of rucksacks!

Anyway, I got Grangers Performance Cleaner as recommended by the guy in Go Outdoors as Nikwax Tech Wash was for washing machines (but so is the Grangers so I don't know what he was talking about). It cleaned one strap successfully but the other one is still a bit smelly and needs doing again. I've ordered some Grangers Odour Eliminator too which I think might help finish the job after a clean. What do you guys think of Granger's vs Nikwax?

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:23:59, 29/03/19 »
The odour eliminator was useless. Today I put the backpack in the washing machine (with regular detergent) and the straps still smell. Think I need to buy a backpack with less thick and absorbent straps  :( 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:58:17, 29/03/19 »
The odour eliminator was useless. Today I put the backpack in the washing machine (with regular detergent) and the straps still smell. Think I need to buy a backpack with less thick and absorbent straps  :(
How are you storing your pack between trips?  I find keeping it open to the room so it can air helps it deodorise between trips, does nothing for the room it’s in though.  Dilute hypochlorite such as Domestos breaks down the odorants and kills the bugs that cause them - test it on an invisible part of the strap first, the dye might not like it.  Another technique that might work if you are in a confined space such as a bedsit would be to place a plastic tub of dilute bleach in a bin bag along with your pack and seal it up for a few days to fumigate the pack.  Shouldn’t rot modern stitching.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:05:43, 29/03/19 »
I just posted a post asking about buying a new one while you wrote this. Can't hurt to have two! It would be nice if I can save the Orbit 40.

It's stored open to the room. If left for a while the smell goes away but when the straps get wet it returns.

I'm no longer in a bedsit and now have a fair bit of space.

Thanks for the fumigation idea I will probably try that.

As the pack is not going to get used much more unless it stops smelling I'll give the bleach on the straps a go if fumigation doesn't work.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 23:42:52, 29/03/19 »
How much should I dilute the bleach? This bleach contains sodium hypochlorite and sodium laureth sulphate/Amides, coco. N[3-dimethylamino)propyl]. Is it suitable?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy