Author Topic: Do you hike in the winter?  (Read 6827 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Do you hike in the winter?
« on: 21:22:20, 28/10/18 »
I hate it when the clocks change and the long hours of darkness, my mood changes for the better in the new year. I often wonder how I could make better use of my time by thinking more imaginatively about getting out and about in the colder months?

What am I missing out on?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Do you hike in the winter?
« Reply #1 on: 21:27:49, 28/10/18 »
 Nothing better than a hike on a cold crisp winters day when the sun is shining. If there has been a prolonged cold spell, boggy or muddy ground becomes accessible.

Watch the weather forecast and spend the bad weather planning future adventures.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ronin83

« Reply #2 on: 21:45:51, 28/10/18 »
I love winter hikes. Cold is quite easy to deal with, especially when on the move, but rain becomes a horrible problem when its cold.
I don't think I'd go near mountains or anything where it could rain and i'd be stuck in it. To me if it's not enjoyable then whats the point?
Circular rambles with a pub at the start/end are just as enjoyable in winter and keep the legs moving. Finish with a nice pint or a cuppa

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:06:08, 28/10/18 »

Absolutely O0
Some of the finest hiking is to be had in winter. :)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:38:54, 28/10/18 »
I do a lot of walking in the winter but, with the short hours of daylight, it tends to be mainly urban and the rural fringe rather than a long way out in the countryside.  I think coastal walking on a sunny winter's day is lovely.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:08:14, 28/10/18 »
I do more "serious" walking - i.e. going out to do planned day walks as opposed to summer wanders - between October and March than I do at any other time of the year. I love walking in bare woods, hearing the wind moaning in the tops of the trees, and watching wildlife survive; I like the greater solitude at this time of the year too.

There is a proviso, however. The temperature needs to be in double figures for me to go out on such a walk. Even though I'm wrapped up in baselayers, full warmwear and a windproof top, 8-9C might just about be acceptable but anything lower than that and I get no pleasure out of it, I don't see the point in it and I would rather be at home in the warm.

One thing I absolutely fail to understand is how people can enjoy going for a walk in the snow, but that's just my personal view. 

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:56:47, 29/10/18 »
Personally I love walking in snow, as long as I'm not trying to wade through it knee-deep.   Nothing quite like reaching the top of the hill and looking around at the other pristine white tops under a perfect blue sky O0
Not all those who wander are lost

motorlaunch

« Reply #7 on: 06:59:52, 29/10/18 »
Yes, when it is cold and sunny. The air can be much clearer giving views of far distant hills. This weekend I could see the Lakeland fells from Merseyside.
 If possible I plan routes with an escape which can be used if the weather deteriorates.

Ronin83

« Reply #8 on: 07:59:35, 29/10/18 »
I can only say ive been too hot in winter and had to strip off layers. That said, I'm still talking rambling here, not mountains or anything.
Wind can be brutal so those layers are needed at times and a scarf to cover the face if it's really bad, but other than that, keep moving and being too cold just doesn't really happen.
I'd walk with snow on the ground, but not when it's falling

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:05:53, 29/10/18 »
I hate it when the clocks change and the long hours of darkness, my mood changes for the better in the new year. I often wonder how I could make better use of my time by thinking more imaginatively about getting out and about in the colder months?

What am I missing out on?

Winter can be tough, but with decent gear walking can be a pleasure in all but the most extreme conditions.

And winter in the hills, with a good covering of snow, can be sheer magic (with ice axe, of course). Some of my most memorable walks have been in winter conditions.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:12:25, 29/10/18 »
One thing I absolutely fail to understand is how people can enjoy going for a walk in the snow, but that's just my personal view.

I love the snow. I had the opportunity to make a brief foray into the Lake District fells last February - set off at 1130 after an early start travelling from Lincoln so I was a bit pushed for time given the short daylight hours, but climbed Hart Crag and Fairfield from Brotherswater.

Quite a tough climb up a steep gully filled with hard snow to reach the high valley between Hart Crag and Dove Crag, but what a delight it was breaking out onto the extensive snowfields: I experienced a moment of what I can only describe as sheer joy as I viewed the unfolding panorama.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:48:37, 29/10/18 »
Because of shorter days, I tend not to travel too far and walk nearer home but I am lucky to have a large chunk of the Yorkshire Dales within an hour's drive. Nothing beats a walk on a cold, crisp day, preferably with a cosy pub for lunch. Lots of them in the Dales! You generally get clearer views than summer too.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:39:40, 29/10/18 »
More local ish stuff for me, as less daylight, but still plenty of places to go. Never run out of walks, no chance!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:56:52, 29/10/18 »
I find that if you set off to arrive at the start of your walk as it gets light there are enough hours of daylight with a safety reserve for a decent walk. Remember the days start to get longer in December and the depths of winter walking are more in Jan to Feb. The best winter walk I can recall was across Cross Fell on a gin clear day in February.  There was was a layer of snow with a good frozen crust but the route was still discernible.  The summit shelter was rimed in ice and there wasn’t a soul about.

One of the pleasures of deep winter walking is the vegetation has died back and the bogs are frozen so you can roam at will, especially if there is a good covering of frozen snow.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:13:38, 29/10/18 »
Do you winter hikers wear crampons in the hills? What's it like climbing up and down stone bits with big spiky crampons on?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy