Author Topic: snow shoes  (Read 601 times)

Doddy

snow shoes
« on: 15:15:47, 30/10/18 »
I would appreciate recommendations on what buy. I would like cross country skis but cannot justify the cost and solo skiing is not the safest idea whereas snow shoeing I think would be safer. I have read about Crescent Moon Eva shoes; they seem to fit the bill for occasional trips to snow on my own. I do downhill ski.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: snow shoes
« Reply #1 on: 15:46:16, 30/10/18 »
i have a set of TSL 325 Escape snowshoes that I acquired whilst living in the Pyrenees.  I have always found them ok and they are very easy to fit.  Make sure you have the length set correctly and toe loops adjusted before you set off, then all you have to do is step into them and ratchet up the ankle strap pretty much like a snowboard.  Release is easy, just pop the ratchet and step out.  I carry them strapped individually to the outside of my pack but they come with a carry bag.
See https://www.amazon.co.uk/TSL-Grip-Escape-Composite-Snowshoes/dp/B001CUUXTU
https://www.tsloutdoor.com/snowshoes/composite-snowshoes.html

The Crescent Moon Eva appear to lack a claw and heel lift so I do not know how they would work on any kind of gradient.  I have walked up the side of Skiddaw from Skiddaw House in mine, not sure I would like to try that in the Evas - they look like they are designed for walking on the flat, kicking in on a slope or over a drift could be a problem.  The fixings appear to be velcro, could be a bit of a faff in gloves and snow.  The Evas are also solid whereas mine are an open frame which I would suggest makes them easier to attach to a pack.

I have used mine in this country in the Lakes and North Pennines.  So far the only use they have had in Devon is a trip to the shop.
Solvitur Ambulando

Doddy

« Reply #2 on: 16:11:38, 30/10/18 »

Great info, thanks Ninthace.  What boots do you wear with your selection. I am trying to avoid getting a load of kit that I will not use much. I read an article on the Eva shoe on backpackinglight.com and Ryan Jordan over there seemed to be using them with trail runners and an overshoe.
I am skiing in France in January ;it might be wise to check what is on offer over there.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:36:47, 30/10/18 »
They will go with pretty much any walking boot.  I have worn them with both fabric and leather boots.  Bear in mind you are wandering around in the winter in the snow so you anything you wear for that should be ok with snowshoes.  You need to choose a pair to suit your weight though, bigger folk need bigger shoes.
Looking again at the Evas, my impression is they are intended for every day use in USA winter wandrin' round the countryside shootin' possum rather than for serious hill walking - could be wrong of course, never seen them in the flesh, never tried them, so it is just an opinion.  Mind you, never saw anything resembling them either in 5 years living in the mountains either.

Have a look on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD2irAdMzIw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpIYXKwe0JY
Notice that the snowshoes are hinged in the middle so the binding and the shoe move independently - I could not see this feature on the Evas.  Not really an issue on the flat but it could be on slopes.
« Last Edit: 16:54:47, 30/10/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

KimE

« Reply #4 on: 20:18:56, 07/11/18 »

I do also like my TSL 325 escape they fit for the late season of the winter then the snow are slightly packed. As Ninthace says you must choose snowshoes after your weight with backpack and also for the season you want to use them.

Skiis are as safe as snoshoes if you use them with a skin both up and down, you can travel a longer distance on skiis than on snowshoes. If you like downhill skiing you can buy a skiiequipment so you can makes turns down the mountain.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy