Author Topic: SNOW ?  (Read 2339 times)

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
SNOW ?
« on: 19:37:59, 14/12/18 »
Are you looking forward to a cold winter with a good fall of snow?
I am watching the weather forecasts for the Lake District keenly from here in the south west.
I am planning to take a winter skills course in the Helvellyn. Have any of you been on one?
It's all uphill from here.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: SNOW ?
« Reply #1 on: 20:06:05, 14/12/18 »
I enjoy the snow very much. Though my winter skills are limited to lots of internet surfing and several winter trips into the UK mountains.  Hoping to get back to Ben Nevis in a few weeks time, if a suitable weather window shows itself.  Long way to drive and not climb.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:44:47, 14/12/18 »
I would prefer snow to rain. It has been quite a while since I have done any serious winter walking, but in the past I have managed a few Munros, some Lake District mountains, a bit in Snowdonia plus some summer walks / scrambles in the Alps above the snow line. I think I need to improve my general fitness before embarking upon anything high in the snow. I have never done a formal winter skills course, but have learned from more experienced walking partners and through trial and error (not always a good idea in the winter hills). One advantage of the snow is that normally busy hills can be deserted.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:52:02, 15/12/18 »

When I lived in Snowdonia, I would always experience a tingle of excitement when I saw the first of the winter snow on the Carneddau.

But living in Orkney I have been out of action in that respect for far too long -  I did get up Fairfield in the snow last February, but this was the first time that I have used my ice axe in anger for almost 20 years. That will change now that I have taken early retirement!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:04:41, 15/12/18 »

Best day out in the snow was with a friend at the head of Glen Clova one Easter may years ago.

Jock's Road, Tom Buidhe, Cairn of Claise, Tolmount, Cairn Bannoch, Broad Cairn, and then back down the glen in the gathering twilight. Started at first light and finished in darkness, everywhere plastered with snow - what a day!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Pitboot

« Reply #5 on: 09:36:51, 15/12/18 »
Are you looking forward to a cold winter with a good fall of snow?
I am watching the weather forecasts for the Lake District keenly from here in the south west.
I am planning to take a winter skills course in the Helvellyn. Have any of you been on one?

I live in Kendal, no sign of snow here yet but it might be different in the hills five miles away.
As for a winter skills course, I went on one a long time ago, it was thoroughly enjoyable and even though it was run by the army I considered it a two week holiday fully paid! It was worth it just to get to construct a snow shelter, I ended up making myself an igloo too. Seriously, anything you do to increase your experience is good, go willing to learn and you will have a great time.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:46:33, 15/12/18 »
Hoping for a bit of snow and colder weather in January as I'll be up supporting the Spine Race, and don't fancy mud along the route  O0
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:13:11, 15/12/18 »
Despite the amber weather warning, there's no snow here as yet but that wind is bitingly cold. 

I've mixed feelings about the white stuff.  I like to see it but don't really enjoy the slippery icy underfoot thing. 

I'm hoping for a sprinkling of snow in January to make the fells look pretty but not that much that it stops me doing my walks.  No Scott of the Antarctic style expeditions for me thanks!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:21:17, 15/12/18 »
Looks nice but I dont travel far if its like that, just an out the door local plod.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:34:03, 15/12/18 »
No snow in Dyffryn or on the Rhinogs, just miserably cold and wet.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:34:59, 15/12/18 »
I like pretty snow scenes, and when we get snow here in Brighton it's fun seeing snowmen on the beach.

But I'm not very keen on walking in the snow, and what with the probability of traffic disruption I tend just to do walks from the door.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:51:28, 15/12/18 »
I used to ski in Canada in a place that used to get around 37 feet of snow a year.  Now that's a decent depth to play with!
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:07:16, 15/12/18 »
Despite the amber weather warning, there's no snow here as yet but that wind is bitingly cold. 

I've mixed feelings about the white stuff.  I like to see it but don't really enjoy the slippery icy underfoot thing. 

I'm hoping for a sprinkling of snow in January to make the fells look pretty but not that much that it stops me doing my walks.  No Scott of the Antarctic style expeditions for me thanks!

My feelings exactly O0
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:44:21, 15/12/18 »
Nice to look back on the 1962-63 winter with fond memories, discovered my old ice axe a few weeks ago, and remember standing in the the middle of Llyn Ogwen and taking it in turns to chip away at the ice to see how thick it was. Much of my equipment was made up from old ex military buys modified but the ice axe was real, bought from Arvon's in Capel Curig.

And walking across much of Llyn Llydaw and then Glaslyn to climb the Trinity gullies.

Now I will go with those who settle for the warm fire and looking out at the view.
If the snow gets really bad I will remember the boy at school, a year older than me, who infected me with the bug for climbing. We had both left school by 1962, but in December he died close to the A5 near Tryfan. There had been blizzard conditions and almost certainly a complete white out, the evening he disappeared.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:45:16, 15/12/18 »
Since I sold my 4x4 driving in snow had become a lot less pleasant but I still love walking in it.  If there is a decent covering, I enjoy "straight lining" across areas that are difficult to cross the rest of the year.  Having the right gear helps so you don't sink in too far.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy