Author Topic: Cheap and Reliable Accomodation  (Read 85307 times)

hobgoblin

Re: Cheap and Reliable Accomodation
« Reply #30 on: 21:21:25, 24/04/14 »
 anyone know of basic  accomadation near the start of the Yorkshire 3 peaks walk,, thanks

Theo Frum

« Reply #31 on: 01:51:18, 10/08/14 »
Hi, there's a bunkhouse at the Golden Lion in Horton, but I haven't used it, so I can't comment.

http://www.goldenlionhotel.co.uk/accommodation.cfm

I have had B&B at the Crown in Horton, and got an upset stomach from undercooked food, but it might have changed hands in the twenty years since then.

TrevR

« Reply #32 on: 14:28:04, 18/10/14 »
If you ever get to Norway and find yourself in or around Flam I can thoroughly recommend the Brekkegard Hostel. I paid 45NOK (approx £56) per night in September 2013. Clean rooms, good facilities and great hosts. Don't shop at the local CooP supermarket in Flam harbour, this supermarket is there for tourists getting off the cruise ships and it is horendously expensive. Better to go to Aurland (8km) and stock up from a choice of two supermarkets (about 40% cheaper). You can also get popular butane and propane canisters in the Aurland Outdoor centre. Incidentally, part used gas canisters are often left at the hostel (behind the stove in the kitchen) because they are prohibited on the plane.

Bussekspress runs a regular service throughout west Norway, and its cheap. £3 to Aurland!

Forest Nymph

« Reply #33 on: 20:15:26, 20/11/14 »
This is such a helpful list, thank you.  :)

Elena

Diamond Backpacker

« Reply #34 on: 21:52:16, 22/11/14 »
anyone know of basic  accomodation near the start of the Yorkshire 3 peaks walk,, thanks

http://www.horton-in-ribblesdale.com/accommodation.shtml

I camped here on the PW 2004. Great.

Glenedge

« Reply #35 on: 14:45:41, 05/03/15 »

Try the LakelandAccommodation.co.uk hostels page.

Penmaiden

« Reply #36 on: 12:05:39, 07/04/15 »
Can really recommend Ardachearnbeg Cottages in Glendaruel if you fancy a trip to some seriously beautiful, completely ignored and genuinely wild countryside! The Cowal Peninsular is right on my doorstep (I'm on Bute) and it's glorious. Ok, it's also often very wet and walks can be rugged, but it's totally worth it. Really lovely couple running a group of cottages, so excellent for groups. They'll do you a packed lunch and the cottages are cosy but not swish, so you don't feel bad about dirty boots or dogs. They also do a concierge service so you don't have to do a shop. And the shortbread in the welcome pack is lush!
We paid £12pppn in the off season. Just look for ardachearnbeg online.

bobdelon

« Reply #37 on: 10:56:26, 17/06/15 »
it is helful! mark! :D

Mrnace

« Reply #38 on: 21:26:19, 18/10/15 »
Anyone use Airbnb.com?

I used it to go to New York last year and was awesome.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 18:27:18, 19/10/15 »
Ennerdale

Bradley's Riding Centre & Bed and Breakfast http://www.walk-rest-ride.co.uk/

Stayed at this place in the bunkhouse Saturday and I cant recommend it highly enough, paid £25 for the night with a full English Breakfast. The Bunkhouse sleeps 10 and they have a double and two twin rooms all sharing the same facilities. One shower, one toilet and one fully stocked kitchen including a washing machine and microwave as well as all crockery and even the basics tea and coffee, washing up liquid, shower gel etc.
Just like a YHA setup with the private rooms and bunkroom apart from sharing the toilet and shower. If full there would be a wait to use the shower but that to me is not the end of the world. Had a great front room with big leather couch and chairs, wood burning stove powering the central heating system, TV, games, books and cards. Really cosy on a evening in a traditional working farm environment.

Not for you if you don't like the idea of sharing the bunkhouse and B&B with possible strangers but the idea of meeting new like minded people in such a great place is to me one of the attractions .

They do camping as well with a breakfast if you like and have caravan hook up available although the roads leading to the farm are narrow with passing places so if your a nervous caravanner its not for you. The owners Dorothy and Graham are salt of the earth and cant do enough to make your stay a nice one.
I can imagine this place on a winters night full of walkers with the roaring fire going and the beer flowing and it being a right good night. Would make a great place for a forum meet to book it out for 10 people  :) so may just do that next year sometime.

Ennerdale Bridge is just down the road with 2 pubs and so  Cleator Moor for your usual stores and take aways. Great place and worth a try if you don't mind sharing etc

Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Buzzy-Beans

« Reply #40 on: 15:46:05, 19/12/15 »
I have only just joined so please forgive me if someone has suggested this before, but for very flexible and always available accomodation, why not build yourself a panel van conversion?

I spent 6 months converting a LWB Renault Master earlier this year and now we are off both far and wide visiting places we had never dreamed of stopping at before and more often than not by parking very carefully we are not having to pay caravan/camping site fees either.

Next September/October we will be travelling over to Europe and very slowly following the Channel coast of France then across the Northern coast of Spain before finally following the cost of Portugal, stopping, we hope, every night on either 'aires' or wild camping.  I have just read an article about someone who did just this and their total site costs over 8 weeks came to €47!

All the best

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Just spent 4 nights in the Spean Bridge Hotel.   Nothing spectacular, but very friendly. All the staff were charming and I think Polish.  There is also a small museum at the Hotel, dedicated to Polish Commandos.

The log cabins, out the back, are £55.00 per night and can sleep 3.  Full Breakfast was another £7.00.  But I bought a pint of milk and box of Fruit and fibre from the Spar shop 50 yards away, as I was out early walking each day.

http://www.speanbridgehotel.co.uk/

Deolman

« Reply #42 on: 11:19:37, 07/09/16 »
Fletcher House, Market Street, Kirby Stephen.    Tel: 01768 371013.  £55 single B&B (July 2016) One of the best of the many B&B's that I have stayed in.  En-suite bedroom . Separate "pamper bathroom" for guests to use. Foot Spa, comfortable guest lounge, hot drinks machine and cake available at anytime at no extra cost. (help yourself from the dining room) One that I would certainly use if ever in the area again.  

willow229

« Reply #43 on: 12:15:49, 07/09/16 »
Little town B&B, Newlands Valley, Near Keswick
I stayed at this lovely B&B earlier in the year. It was £44 per night. The rooms are en-suite. The breakfast is fantastic and they do packed lunches too. It's situated in the middle of the Newlands Valley so excellent walking options.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 13:19:56, 07/09/16 »
I had a good idea and decided to buy a new vehicle to solve my accomadation needs. It didn't work out! I bought a 7 seater car, the back 5 seats all fold flat to the size a a small double bed. My plan was to drive, park, hike and then sleep in it. 4 years later and I've never used it for this purpose. Awful idea really. I use a tent and hopefully cheap camp sites. I only need a an 6' x 4' piece of flat grass!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy