Author Topic: Which lightweight tent for wildcamping ?  (Read 1417 times)

Harry Fisher

Which lightweight tent for wildcamping ?
« on: 11:49:28, 18/09/17 »
I am 60 in late December and my two boys were asking what I would like for a present. I have said I would like a good 2 man lightweight tent for wildcamping, I am currently using a Vango Soul 200, it's okay but not the best and the poles broke so I had to repair them, and at 2.2 kg a bit heavy.I would also like one where you get in from the side instead of the end, also with a bit of head height to sit up if possible.I don't want them to spend too much money so will say £150 max, any ideas?

Rather be walking

Re: Which lightweight tent for wildcamping ?
« Reply #1 on: 12:17:08, 18/09/17 »
Hi Harry Fisher
        This year I've been using Zephyros 1 EP Tent, comes in at 1.5kg about £110 in January 2017.
Shop around, I think they are selling as low as £99.
The only bad thing is the tent pegs (alum) they're rubbish.

John.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:37:12, 18/09/17 »
You can pick up a Terra Nova Zeyphyros 2 for under £120. 2 man, side door, 1.81KG packed weight.

Still a 2 man so reasonably roomy, side doors, 1.8KG packed weight (as opposed to the meaningless "minimum weight")
A highly thought of budget backpacking tent. Not so sure about the sitting up room though.

Getting a light tent with good sitting-up room for that kind of money isn't easy because most of them at that price are wedge designs, and so you might have to go Chinese knock-off territory like the NatureHike: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Naturehike-Outdoor-Persons-Ultralight-Waterproof/dp/B00W1F7Q9U?th=1&psc=1

3 man so a fair bit roomier and better headroom. They quote 1.8KG but you have to add the pegs/guys at 200g so 2KG really.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:33:17, 19/09/17 »
I have a Zephros one which does the job, has always kept me dry but its not a tent I grew to love. I always feel like I'm sleeping in a tomb, but its my tent of choice for the winter. My other tent is a Marmot Pulsar One, out of action at the moment due to broken poles. For floor space and head room its far superior to the Zephyros but I only use it in the warmer months, the inner tent is mesh.

When I buy next a Naturehike tent, at the moment is top of my list, for the price they want I could buy two in a year and still be in pocket.

Harry Fisher

« Reply #4 on: 09:40:49, 21/09/17 »
Gunwharfman, just looked at Naturehike, I like the look of the TAGA 2 ULTRALIGHT.

Harry Fisher

« Reply #5 on: 09:41:01, 21/09/17 »
Thanks for your replies, I put this question to four forums and now have a good list. :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:43:14, 21/09/17 »
Harry Fisher, I have my eye on the Taga as well. If you buy please let us know what you think of it. It a copy of the Tarptent Rainbow I believe.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy