Author Topic: Wet leather boots  (Read 4228 times)

PloddinPedro

Wet leather boots
« on: 14:11:47, 29/12/06 »
Does anyone have good advice on how to keep the water out of full leather boots? My trusty Scarpas (not Goretex lined) always wet out after a couple of hours. I 'm not talking about Lake District bog walking, just ordinary grass and muddy, puddled tracks. Despite my assiduous application of waterproofing after each use, they always let the damp through. I have used only something called "Hydrobloc" provided by a local outdoors shop - it's a translucent waxy paste made by Zamberlan and was supposed to be just what I needed, but it doesn't work. I think I need some heavy duty stuff - any suggestions?

titaniumdude

Re: Wet leather boots
« Reply #1 on: 22:17:00, 02/01/07 »
hiya Pedro.  Can't comment on the hydrobloc stuff, but have always found nikwax (the original stuff in a tin ) to be excellent, even through marshy/boggy ground.  I can't remember an  incident where an application of nikwax lasted anything less than a full day, even when wading through the odd stream.  Check out their website.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Graham.r

« Reply #2 on: 23:03:29, 02/01/07 »
It has to be NikWax in a tin -- plenty of application and buffing off on dry warm leather - then you can build up a super finish that will keep most wet out -- but never ever ue on wet leather -- or you trap the wet in the boot and it will rot.

Gortex boots not always the best idea - I have a fantastic light weight pair of Merrell boots -- supposedly waterproof goretex lined -- but the fools put holes in them for ??? effect ??? I use Nikwax liquid with sponge applicator to make these better in the wet and if its really wet I use another pair of boots!!

marmot

« Reply #3 on: 15:15:21, 09/01/07 »
Yes, Nikwax here too on my Scarpa SLs, not too often though as you'll over-soften the leather, I use it intermittently with normal shoe polish and no leaks - and on my 2nd pair now (previous ones were suade/fabric/goretex).

Whizzo

« Reply #4 on: 21:30:17, 10/01/07 »
I love the Scarpa leather boot and I only ever use dubbing, and I have never had any problems with them getting wet? I give them a good amount of dubbing, use the wife’s hair dryer to warm it up so that it soaks in to all the nooks and crannies. Leave them over night in a cold room and then give them a good buffing.
Never had wet feet! 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy