Author Topic: Penzance to Dover  (Read 8558 times)

rockshow6

Penzance to Dover
« on: 23:53:27, 19/04/12 »
Hi,

I've recently agreed to undertake a hike from Lands End to Dover in the UK. I'm an inexperienced hiker and have little understanding of the timing of such a walk. I am young and in average physical condition. I was wondering if others thought that allowing 25 days for such a walk was sufficient. I'm aware that it leaves little room for rest or compromise, but is it within the realms of possibility?

Thanks,

Madmax Jnr

• Veteran Member
Re: Penzance to Dover
« Reply #1 on: 07:46:31, 20/04/12 »
How far is it?

How many miles can you walk in a day?

Will you have to carry camping gear?

sgt_pepper46

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:51:05, 20/04/12 »
As a ball-park figure, the distance is 400 miles (360 as the crow flies), so over 25 days, thats averaging 16 miles a day.

is that doeable for you?
40/214
8/283
13/190
26/253

Ciao Marco

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:24:46, 22/04/12 »
That's too much.
You need to allow yourself some light or rest days.  If it's persisting it down you can just spend the day sitting in the cafe or the pub without fretting about losing time.

It could be a great route, though.  The coastal path between Land's End and Penzance is gorgous.  You could cross Bodmin and Dartmoor, Dorset's 'jurassic' coast, the Wiltshire Downs and onto the South Downs.  It would almost be a 'Best of the South' walk.
solvitur ambulando

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:50:54, 22/04/12 »
Are you planning to follow the coast? The SWCP goes about 350miles I think to Poole (can't remember where it actually ends but there is a good official website with loads of info. I haven't walked much of it but the bits I have done on the South Coast are lovely.)

Then you could(somehow) join the South Downs way further inland which goes from Winchester to Eastbourne (also has a good website). It is then fairly easy to walk to Hastings, Rye, Camber and via Dungeness to Dover via Hythe /Folkestone. (There used to be a closed bit just before Hythe but not sure if this is still in use a MOD training).

As said, it is a pretty long way and very variable terrain so although 16 to 20 miles a day is not that much to contemplate, doing it day after day for hundreds of miles is a different challenge.

Alewife

...beware of the bull!

rockshow6

« Reply #5 on: 14:26:50, 22/04/12 »
Thanks all. I've never done a walk for this many days. We've mapped out a route that includes between 15 - 20 miles a day, with a couple of days at around 12 (crossing dartmoor). The impression i get from the replies is that it's doable but won't be comfortable. Thanks a lot all.

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:45:10, 22/04/12 »
Sounds like the makings of a great adventure but if you have no experience it could be a tall order. 15 miles a day, come rain, wind or shine, day in day out will be a toughie.
roll on the weekend

rockshow6

« Reply #7 on: 15:07:54, 22/04/12 »
We're staying in accommodation for about 3 of the nights to 'recharge'. Some days only have around 12 miles of walking, so that we can spend some time relaxing. The weather is out of our hands and will potentially be an issue. We're doing it for charity however and have allowed a few extra days to account for problems. We've begun cardio and weight training on our legs in preparation. Will let everyone know how it goes. Fingers crossed.

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:03:43, 22/04/12 »
Hey good luck with that it sounds great fun  O0 As they say , build in rest days.
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:06:26, 23/04/12 »
I have just done the South Corwall section (last week - trip report in preparation) I did about 20 miles or more a day back packing, I reckon I am pretty fit for my age (Late 50s) but it was enough to make the legs ache.

I reckon that Land's End to Dover will be not much short of 650 to 700 miles perhaps even more  It is about 380 from Land's End to Poole Harbour which is less than half way on the map although the terrain becomes easier with less in and out thereafter but it sill has some "lumpy" sections. So you would need to plan on doing in excess of 28 or more miles a day - perhaps 30 which would be a great challenge- especially on the SWCP. Doing 30 miles/day on the terrain I just covered would be a big ask, the longest I did was about 27 and my legs knew about it. Then there is the problem of how you get around Southampton and Plymouth - how far around the estuary will you go or get a ferry? I think you will need longer than 25 days.

Good luck, this will be a great route and there will be plenty of B+B options if you don't like the thought of back packing.
« Last Edit: 09:46:00, 23/04/12 by mananddog »

rockshow6

« Reply #10 on: 10:51:20, 23/04/12 »
Hi. Yeah our route does allow us to cut a few corners. Specifically, we are cutting weymouth and the salcombe/kingsbridge area. We will be moving in a straight line that (according to mapping) should be around 400 miles. With Plymouth, we are crossing the estuary on the torpoint ferry which runs 24/7 and staying in a travelodge allowing a late arrival to both. We're bypassing southampton entirely by crossing to the Isle of Wight from Lymington to Yarmouth then from Ryde to Portsmouth.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:58:39, 23/04/12 »
Hi. Yeah our route does allow us to cut a few corners. Specifically, we are cutting weymouth and the salcombe/kingsbridge area. We will be moving in a straight line that (according to mapping) should be around 400 miles.

I would check your distances again - even with this I think you are still near 600 if you stick to the coast. Use one of the walking mapping softwares to measure it. You will be surprised.

rockshow6

« Reply #12 on: 11:29:42, 23/04/12 »
Downloading one as we speak. Will check back in when i've figured out how to use it.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:45:26, 23/04/12 »
Try this for the south west coast path

http://www.southwestcoastpath.com/faq/distance-calculator/

And this for the rest - though you have to register to get the 1:25000 - it is not just Scotland.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/

You can do them on line rather than download.

rockshow6

« Reply #14 on: 11:49:45, 23/04/12 »
Thanks, I will certainly have a look at them :) . I constructed the route on a walking route planning software, and it came in at 320 miles. As we won't be travelling in quite as straight a line as on that route, it's fair to round it to around 400.
Dunno what to say, i suppose i wasn't very clear about the amount of coast-corner cutting we'd be doing. For example, after Plymouth we're cutting across Dartmoore for a few days and ending up in Exmouth.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy