Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276148 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #795 on: 13:22:41, 11/08/19 »
Blimey i thought the weather forecast for the SW was poor.
Spoke to my friends outside Cardiff last night, and they said the weather was diabolical, with a few trees having been blown down.
Its been wall to wall heavy rain and strong winds here on the NW coast of Wales.

Luckily i went for my walk last Thursday, when i drove down to llanidloes and explored the Hafren forest.

Gorgeous weather, but its been downhill from there onwards.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #796 on: 20:45:37, 13/08/19 »
I walked from Sullington Warren to Pulborough today, a varied and scenic linear walk in the Wealden Greensand, taking in heathland with the heather in bloom, the West Sussex Literary Trail through Parham Park, and a pretty stretch of the river Arun.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #797 on: 20:13:38, 16/08/19 »
On this coming Monday I am heading up to the North York Moors for my annual fix of purple heathery loveliness  :)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #798 on: 20:42:13, 16/08/19 »
On this coming Monday I am heading up to the North York Moors for my annual fix of purple heathery loveliness  :)
Oh I am also going to be there. Mrs Jimbob enjoying the delights of Whitby Folk Week and me walking.
Too little, too late, too bad......

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #799 on: 09:25:37, 17/08/19 »

Next week I will be based in Burton upon Trent for two nights. Going to a school re union, combined with walking. 55 years since I left school, will I know anyone. Just bought a new os map of the area because the one I have had for many years is massively out of date. WOW, the changes when I compare the two. This is the home town I was brought up in, so a trip down memory lane for me.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #800 on: 15:23:20, 17/08/19 »
Oh I am also going to be there. Mrs Jimbob enjoying the delights of Whitby Folk Week and me walking.

My Dad's off to Whitby for the Folking Folk music too.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #801 on: 16:14:21, 17/08/19 »
I googled the folk festival, I like celtic folk music and have often wondered if there's an evening or day of it I could go listen to up in Cumbria or North Yorkshire, perhaps a little further afield. Not sure what I'd make of English folk music though having never experienced it.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #802 on: 16:59:30, 17/08/19 »
There is a problem with heather beetles see:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-49320090

Warbler

« Reply #803 on: 17:22:35, 17/08/19 »
I googled the folk festival, I like celtic folk music and have often wondered if there's an evening or day of it I could go listen to up in Cumbria or North Yorkshire, perhaps a little further afield. Not sure what I'd make of English folk music though having never experienced it.
I haven't been in 20 odd years, but there was always a good variety of folk music back then. I wouldn't imagine it has changed that much. Once saw Bert Jansch give an impromptu performace, absolutely superb. It was always a good day out.

Warbler

« Reply #804 on: 17:28:03, 17/08/19 »
Had a 7 mile stroll around Martin Down Nature Reserve, just south of Salisbury, during the past week. Wildflowers giving off a lovely display of colours.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #805 on: 21:42:17, 17/08/19 »
There is a problem with heather beetles see:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-49320090

Oh no!  That doesn't sound good.   Perhaps they should have cancelled "The Glorious 12th" and let the grouse eat all the larvae  O0

... which reminds me, I'd best check that the bit of purple loveliness I want to walk all over isn't closed for shooting!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #806 on: 22:19:01, 17/08/19 »
I think grouse eat heather like the beetles do Mel.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #807 on: 22:29:07, 17/08/19 »

Whitby is in North Yorkshire... just sayin'  ;D 

If you like acoustic music, witty ditties and dirges, strange instruments and even stranger folk then you'll probably like "mainstream" folk music.  I was brought up on it, along with sea shanties.  Look out for any Open Mic nights in your local pubs and village halls cos that's where a lot of folk musicians ply their wares.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #808 on: 22:32:35, 17/08/19 »

:-[  I did actually know this - I just temporarily forgot  ;D

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #809 on: 14:44:04, 18/08/19 »

Whitby is in North Yorkshire... just sayin'  ;D 

I did not know this though I suspected it wasn't too far away. I just checked and it's in the east of Yorkshire while I'm on the west, a 2 hour drive away. I might investigate though, thanks Mel.

I like lots of different styles of music and I am partial to strange folk. I'm an off-key person myself, though in a different fashion to your average folk music fan I suspect.

I did not know this, educated by this forum yet again...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy