Author Topic: West Highland Way  (Read 10833 times)

Vincent82

West Highland Way
« on: 17:00:48, 18/02/20 »
After doing some research and some thinking, I think I'll try to walk the West Highland Way this year, end of May or beginning of June.

I'd do it in 8 days. The 7 days schedule has a 20 miles day and I think this is too much for me. The Cicerone book and the West Highland Way website show different stages for the 8 day options though.

Has anyone done this walk and has any piece of advice?

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: West Highland Way
« Reply #1 on: 17:07:40, 18/02/20 »
The 7 days schedule has a 20 miles day
It is under 100 miles unless you are going the Great Glen Way as well.

Vincent82

« Reply #2 on: 17:09:39, 18/02/20 »
Yes, I only meant that if I tried to do it in 7 days, there would be one very long day. So I'll have to do it in 8 days. I've never walked for 8 days before (or 7).

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:32:15, 18/02/20 »
I don't remember it as a very hilly walk so for me it was easy enough to make good progress, if you are lucky enough to have good weather then that will be real bonus for you. I think I did it in May, so no midges around. I camped and had no problems with finding a place for the night. One site I remember but not the name, had a restaurant in the middle of it and the Way came directly into it as well. That was good.

Vincent82

« Reply #4 on: 17:38:58, 18/02/20 »
I won't be camping, but yes I'm hoping for good weather, otherwise it might not be that enjoyable.  And for such a distance I was also looking for something not too hilly, and there's still Ben Nevis at the end, if I feel like doing more.

watershed

« Reply #5 on: 18:37:46, 18/02/20 »
Hi Vincent, I am sure you will love it. I did it last July with a mixed ability Church group. We all loved it. It is a great choice for your first multi day walk, 4 out of eight of us hadn’t done one before. Each day is different as the scenery evolves, it just gets better each day as you head North. As GunWharfman (GWM)says there are no massive climbs (By experienced Hill walkers standards) but it is a notable challenge. Our group found the stretch along Loch Lomond the Hardest, as the path is undulating and a bit rougher and broken up than you may have anticipated. The main thing there is just to take your time and watch your footing on this section. The camp site GWM mentions is probably Beinglas and it was a good stop. We stayed the night there and enjoyed it. If you aren’t camping I would advise booking all your accommodation very soon as May is the busiest time and will soon be booked out.

Vincent82

« Reply #6 on: 19:18:07, 18/02/20 »
That’s useful information thank you! I didn’t expect the bit near Loch Lomond to be the hardest so that’s good to know.

I’ve done some multi day hikes before (three of them) but not that long, and one of them kind of failed :-)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:51:25, 18/02/20 »
I think I'll try to walk the West Highland Way this year, end of May or beginning of June.

Doing the WHW at that time of year, I hope you like company!. There will be an awful lot of people on the route from all over, if not camping I second the advice to sort out accomodation well in advance, like now maybe.

We did it in January over seven days, four of those alone, much better  :) That was wild camping though.
It is a great route, I hope the weather is kind for your trip. The Loch Lomond section is relatively time consuming, picking its way up and down over tree roots etc, but overall the route isn't strenuous.

Vincent82

« Reply #8 on: 23:03:06, 18/02/20 »
I’m going alone so I don’t mind it being busier at this time of the year. Everybody seems positive about it so it should be good!

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:59:45, 19/02/20 »
I walked the WHW last April (solo, camping) as walk-in for the CWT. It is a great choice, especially if you have limited experience with multi-day adventures. When I hiked it in mid April it was not too crowded yet and there were no midges.

It's generally an easy trail. The Loch Lomond shore is the hardest section. The descend from Devils Staircase into Kinlochleven can be a bit harsh on your knees, so take it easy there.

l found it a quite social trail. For many walkers on the WHW it is their first multi-day adventure and they are excited about it. So there is a great atmosphere. I was also surprised how many people I met from outside the UK: Swiss, Belgians, Serbs and even a group of young Brazilian ladies.
« Last Edit: 09:02:58, 19/02/20 by Birdman »
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:19:18, 19/02/20 »
For me, the hardest part of the walk was at the very beginning, even before I set one foot on the route. I arrived, identified my pitch for the night and then wandered into town. I wanted to eat, all of the places that looked good were full up so I wandered along to find a pub that served food. In the end, I had to go to a pub which served horrible food, which I ate because I was so hungry. This pub also had a visiting disco, the compere was middle-aged, raucous and drunk, and because I come from the South and he came from Glasgow I couldn't understand a word of what he said. At the same time all around the bar, there were about 6 TV's, they were all switched on showing a football match and their volumes were also at full blast. Everyone around me was swilling beer, including me, some people were dancing, some were looking at the football, some were doing both and everyone had to shout at each other which included shouting a beer order to the bar staff. I had three pints that night, one more than usual because in its own way the whole scene was amazingly entertaining. That evening for me was MADNESS and when I left my throat was raw and my whole head was buzzing and ringing with the noise and intensity of it all! One memory is still with me, there were 'hundreds' of cigarette butts on the pavement as I left. I had a good time though but obviously I was only an observer of what was Saturday night live.

Vincent82

« Reply #11 on: 10:39:41, 19/02/20 »
Thank you for the last responses.  The main issue seems to be the hotels. I've checked two places, and some of them don't allow reservations for one night only, and they're all super expensive (£200-300). I'll look into it a bit more.

That's at Kingshouse. Check in is on specific day only, minimum 2 nights, for a total of 560 pounds. That's a bit mean...

« Last Edit: 10:49:51, 19/02/20 by Vincent82 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:14:02, 19/02/20 »
Good time of year, but watch out for the midges! I was eaten alive at Beinglas in June 2018, quite the worst that I have ever experienced!

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:16:55, 19/02/20 »
Thank you for the last responses.  The main issue seems to be the hotels. I've checked two places, and some of them don't allow reservations for one night only, and they're all super expensive (£200-300). I'll look into it a bit more.

That's at Kingshouse. Check in is on specific day only, minimum 2 nights, for a total of 560 pounds. That's a bit mean...

Ouch! You could buy a very nice tent for that kind of money!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:17:31, 19/02/20 »

You wrote that you don't want to camp, but for that money you can already buy quite decent camping gear. Perhaps you should reconsider! :) . That would also solve your problem with the 20 mile hiking day.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy