Author Topic: [TR] The Coledale Round - March '20  (Read 1187 times)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
[TR] The Coledale Round - March '20
« on: 16:12:08, 09/03/20 »
Really enjoyed this one.  Lovely weather and views to match.  Seems from Mel's TR that I just missed the dodgier weather too.

Link >here<

« Last Edit: 16:21:53, 09/03/20 by forgotmyoldpassword »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] The Coledale Round - March '20
« Reply #1 on: 17:04:04, 09/03/20 »
Great report FMOP - lovely round that, looks like you had cracking weather in the short window when it hasn't been peeing down and blowing a gale.  Couldn't even see the base of the fells from the Royal Oak last Tuesday morning!!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:26:07, 09/03/20 »
Fab write up and pics, an epic day out  O0
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:29:21, 09/03/20 »
Some excellent photos and an enjoyable report on what must have been a great day out on the hill.

I did some of this route in reverse many years ago - I walked up Coledale because I wanted to take a look at the Force Crag barytes mine - then climbed the steep ground to the right of Force Crag past more workings, and gained Coledale Hause, before tackling Hopegill Head, Grisedale Pike, and back down the ridge for a lunch time pint in Braithwaite.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:57:35, 09/03/20 »
Thanks all - it was one of those walks I'm sure we've all done at some point, within the first half an hour you find yourself regularly spinning 360 degrees to try and absorb all the views with an absolute perfect day for it.   You just know you're on for a good day and it definitely was.

Having walked it now, I'm not quite sure why I hadn't done it sooner - it's got some of the most spectacular Lakes vistas (in my opinion) outside of Langdale and loads of parking options. 

Richard - definitely time to get out again for another look now you're a Lakes local! The mine did look worth its own visit and it seems to have been left as a bit of a centrepiece of the valley as a homage to the history there, largely intact by the look of it too.

April - thanks, you can never take too many photos.  Especially when you need something to cheer you up on those days when you look out of the window in the morning and it's dark and drizzling - in other words, very often lately.

pdstsp - Must admit you had rough luck with the visit, seems the weather took a bit of a turn after last weekend.  I very nearly stopped for food there on the way back but ended up grabbing something in Keswick.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:51:59, 09/03/20 »
Classic round, fantastic vistas there and incredible luck with the weather.  O0

Speaking of which, when was this walk?. I can't see a date on it.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:22:44, 09/03/20 »
Great TR and pics from one of my favourite  lakeland rounds  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:30:59, 10/03/20 »
Richard - definitely time to get out again for another look now you're a Lakes local! The mine did look worth its own visit and it seems to have been left as a bit of a centrepiece of the valley as a homage to the history there, largely intact by the look of it too.

Definitely on my radar - I was looking at the map last night. Thinking of doing a big round, including the Newlands horseshoe, with a wild camp somewhere.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:08:37, 10/03/20 »
Definitely on my radar - I was looking at the map last night. Thinking of doing a big round, including the Newlands horseshoe, with a wild camp somewhere.

An extended Newlands ending with the pizza place at Portinscale would be a lovely trip.  I did a Newlands round in clag and gale force winds last month which was certainly robust walking, though made me want to come back when it was less temperamental. 

I remember you writing something about doing a Clough Head/Threlkeld traverse down to Ambleside with a wild camp and decided I was keen on that myself. I walked most of that route in one big day last summer and it was superb.

Wild camp wise I'll be doing a couple 3 day/2 night trips around the western fells next month since my weekends are sadly totally taken up this month.

Vg - it was the end of last week on Thursday, I ended up with a cancelled meeting and decided I'd rather have the super early start to make the most of it.  You aren't wrong with the weather being spectacularly kind, walking in my base layer most of the day has been unheard of this season.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:02:17, 13/03/20 »
I remember you writing something about doing a Clough Head/Threlkeld traverse down to Ambleside with a wild camp and decided I was keen on that myself. I walked most of that route in one big day last summer and it was superb.

Yes - still very much on my agenda. I have a number of similar fantasy routes on Viewranger, private until I have done them! Also got my eye on those remote northern valleys in the Howgills.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:07:34, 13/03/20 »
Lovely photos/report FMOP O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy