Author Topic: Walking shoe advice  (Read 1126 times)

Mattladd1

Walking shoe advice
« on: 13:30:09, 27/05/20 »
Hello I have recently started walking 5-10 k most days and am experiencing a lot of pain in the soles of my feet from my shoes which are just air cushioned trainers. Can anyone point me in the right direction where I should be looking for the correct shoe. I am mostly road walking and would love to increase the distance but I'm obviously struggling. Any help.would be appreciated Thanks

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking shoe advice
« Reply #1 on: 17:17:20, 27/05/20 »
Welcome to the forum.  :)

https://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40329.0

Take a read through this recent thread.  Plenty of suggestions in there.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:05:43, 27/05/20 »
Welcome to the forum.

It might not be your shoes at all if, as you say, they are air cushioned, provided  they are a good fit.  To suddenly start walking 5-10km per day can be a bit of a shock to the system.  It takes a while for your feet to get used to the idea, especially on roads, which are an unforgiving and monotonous surface.
Can we be indelicate?  How old are you and are you carrying any excess pounds?  These can have a bearing too.
If it is any comfort, as a pensioner, I walk similar distances every day, sometimes more.  If it is all road, I wear usually trainers and my feet have often had enough too, by the end.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mattladd1

« Reply #3 on: 20:01:21, 27/05/20 »
Thanks for the Welcome
 I have had a look and am going to try the Merril moab. I have been walking every day for about a 8 weeks (Furloughed from work) been driving long haul for the last 6 years so pretty seized up  and carrying a bit of timber. I was doing ok till I tried new trainers a couple if weeks ago and the pain on the soles of my feet started reverted back to old ones last few days and no problems so definitely the shoes. Anyway thanks for the advice Regards Matt

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:25:08, 27/05/20 »
Also consider the socks you are wearing.  Looped sports socks are best rather than flat weave "dress" socks.

If I wear flat weave socks with my trainers or walking shoes I get sore soles (best way I can describe it).  I've narrowed it down to be something to do with the material on the insole not getting on with a flat weave sock.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:06:32, 28/05/20 »
One thing I've learned about walking is that feet are funny things. We're all different and what suits one person might not suit another - so all we can do is say what works for us as individuals and perhaps offer some tips.

As Mel says, socks can make a real difference. Sweaty, damp feet will probably get sore more easily than dry feet and they'll be more prone to blisters. I prefer lightweight socks (usually Bridgedale) most of the year, but especially in hot weather. My favourites are a pair of Smartwool socks and I still remember thinking how ridiculous it was to pay over £20 for socks. It wasn't - they were worth every penny!

I've been through lots of different walking shoes and currently have several pairs on the go. I've found Merrells to be the most comfortable shoes I've had - I'm on my third pair of Cham 7 Slam shoes. Last year, I went to Go Outdoors certain that I'd buy a pair of Moabs, but they didn't feel right at all, so I didn't. My Cham 7 shoes have all been non-waterproof and they support my fairly weak arches brilliantly and they're extremely comfortable over long distances. The cons are that the soles are terrible on damp surfaces yet they still wear down too quickly.

BTW, I like to have several pairs of shoes on the go for two reasons. Obviously, one is that different shoes suit different conditions. The other is that if my feet suffer even a little bit, wearing a different pair of shoes the next day can allow the troubled part of my foot to rest a while. And in the long run, it doesn't cost any more anyway!

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:51:36, 28/05/20 »
I agree with you that feet are 'funny things' which is why I have made a real effort to make my shoes and boots really personal to ME. I've found because I took the time to find out and how my feet work, or don't work, I can now walk more comfortably and longer without all of my previous gripes, sore balls of feet, aching ankles, one foot worse than the other, blisters, and so on. I now only experience one problem, around day two or three my toes start to 'lock up' and are painful with a 'burning' sensation but by day five or six the pain/ache just vanishes?

But as for shoes, boots, and trainers, I'm a bit opposite to you. I have one pair of summer off-road trainers, one pair of summer boots and one pair of everyday shoes, and one of each for the winter months. I don't change them for other shoes until they wear out. I don't wear trainers as a routine so I don't own a pair for walking street use.

I've tried a few types of socks but for me, they really don't seem to impact on my ability to hike, I mean I don't notice anything particular about socks other than some obviously feel different and some 'move' in my boots and some don't. I prefer the non-sliding ones. I just carry a couple of pairs and alternate them, including wearing them outside in and inside out.

For me these days the essence of having good hiking days is to treat my boots, socks, underwear, and trousers as one working unit, if they all working together in harmony then I feel good, if they don't I don't feel good. So for me, to try to get it 'right' I divide my body into three distinct parts, feet to waist, waist to neck and lastly my head.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:08:19, 28/05/20 »
My most successful body section is below my waist and my head. For summer, for example, I carry/wear two amazingly comfortable pairs of Decathlon, less than £13 a pair walking trousers, all the same, and they fit me like a glove, two really comfortable Decathlon £3.99 a pair, boxer underwear, two pairs of Bridgedale no-slide socks and a pair of Salomon Ultra boots. They all just work so well together.

Its a bit like my sleeping and keeping warm arrangements, the mattress, sleeping quilt and pillow, and my sleeping garments have to work in harmony too, and because they do now I tend to sleep better than when I thought of them and purchased these items as separate items.

I've never really reached the same sort of feeling with my torso, still working on that. My head apparel has always been the easiest to solve so I don't need to spend much time thinking about it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:09:05, 28/05/20 »
And insoles - don't forget them!  Spongy ones set my feet on fire whereas gel ones are good.  Other folk are t'other way about and some folk are hard as nails and don't care.

I am getting desperate for new trainers.  I only own one pair and all this walking is wearing out the lining.  The soles on the other hand are amazingly hard wearing.  Internet shopping for shoes is just too weird - I need to try them on as I have pre-computer age feet.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:54:41, 28/05/20 »
And insoles - don't forget them!  ......

Oops, I did forget about insoles.  :)

I haven't changed the insoles in my Merrell shoes, because they've all come with excellent supportive ones.

I've got Superfeet Green insoles in my Scarpa shoes (Vortex GTX).

I replaced the not-so-good original insoles in my Salomon shoes (Sandford GTX) with the Scarpa ones. 

(Not shoes, but I've replaced the original insoles in my excellent Scarpa boots (R-Evo GTX) with Superfeet Blue insoles. And I replaced the standard Berghaus insoles in my Hillwalker 2 boots with Superfeet Trailblazers - but even they won't make those boots wearable for me!)

I've found that it's all about trial and error to see what works best.

I am getting desperate for new trainers...

I'm really pleased with the Asics Gel Excite 4 running shoes (or simply lightweight trainers!) that I bought from Sports Direct - reduced from £69.99 to £45. I've found them to be very light and cool, and comfortable. Might be worth a look...
« Last Edit: 13:00:29, 28/05/20 by WhitstableDave »
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:10:04, 28/05/20 »
I'm really pleased with the Asics Gel Excite 4 running shoes (or simply lightweight trainers!) that I bought from Sports Direct - reduced from £69.99 to £45. I've found them to be very light and cool, and comfortable. Might be worth a look...
  Thanks for the thought.  Nearest store with parking is a 40 mile round trip and they are shut at present!  My feet are non standard so mail order is a non starter.  I think I shall have to soldier on until Boris says I can go shopping.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy