Author Topic: Photographers Question & Answers corner  (Read 87898 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Photographers Question & Answers corner
« Reply #60 on: 23:18:23, 09/10/12 »
Photobucket has re-sizing in the edit tab. I re-size to 600 pixels across, leave the dimensions linked and the height takes care of itself.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
Photography Tips
« Reply #61 on: 19:03:05, 05/02/13 »
You could do worse than following these tips for landscapes..............

http://blog.parkcameras.com/2013/02/landscape-photography-tips.html?utm_source=Park+Cameras+Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=Landscape+blog+banner&utm_campaign=5th+February+2013+Newsletter&utm_nooveride=1

Tip #2 is a novel way of controlling contrast (at least it is for a digital opponent)  ;)

Derek

Oldstephen

« Reply #62 on: 17:00:30, 23/04/13 »
Photos come out of my camera at between 5-6MB.  Can you tell me how to reduce them to less than 80KB to post on here without reducing the size of the photo too much?  I (try to) use ACDSee14 to edit but can't see a way to compress rather than reduce the size unduly. Any suggestions?
...because it's there.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 17:21:57, 23/04/13 »
Wrote something about this earlier today here;
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=23690.0

As said above picturebucket have resizing in their editing functions. But his does it on each picture individually, the PIXresizer software that can be downloaded free does batches of photos.

When I first started to post pics here I found 800 pixels width did not distort the page, 1000 pixels seems to work now.
BWW

Oldstephen

« Reply #64 on: 21:44:12, 23/04/13 »
But isn't there a difference between resizing and compression? I can resize  in windows  but "small" is still too big a file for here. And if i make it smaller it comes out very small in a post.
...because it's there.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 08:31:45, 24/04/13 »
If you resize in windows is that for e-mailing, it may reduce the size to a default size. When I resize either individually or in batches I nominate the size I want. For the size of page on the forums I have posted on 800 Pixels seems to fit the page size, it is worth experimenting.

My understanding is that jpeg's do not compress much because they are already a compressed file, so if you compress them into a zip file the reduction in file size is minimal.
BWW

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 22:18:01, 27/05/13 »
Is there a way of posting photographs when using the mobile format? I only view the forum using this and can't see a way to add photos.

Thanks.

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 08:10:46, 28/05/13 »
As I understand it the best way to post pics is to post them to a hosting site and then post the image file url.  Photobucket is the host I use.  Using that your pictures can be anysize.  I though have photoshop so save them in the lowest size to cut down the space they use up on the (free) hosting site as you have a limit, plus also they uplaod faster.

You can post images directly but they have to be small and I suspect theirs a limit i.e. you can't have 2 pictures that in total exceed that limit (but I'm not certain of that).

You can obviously post the image url using mobile format as it's just a written code.

Look at the last of the pinned topics in this sub forum for a more detailed explanation of how to do this.

Rob.

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 09:56:16, 28/05/13 »
The new revamped, although widely unpopular with a lot long time users Flickr now offers 1 terabyte of space with the free account.  That's a lot of photos!

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 10:11:48, 28/05/13 »
Thanks Rob. Shame not to have the favility to post directly from my photostream, but i expect that level of functionality is quite high tech.

I have a Flickr account, so am part of the way there. But as I use it mainly via an app (and that rarely)  no urls! Will have to dust off the laptop if I want to post TRs with photos. However as I am inherently lazy with these techy devices, it's probably not going to happen :-) Thanks for the advice, in any case.

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 23:49:48, 27/08/13 »
As I understand it the best way to post pics is to post them to a hosting site and then post the image file url.  Photobucket is the host I use.  Using that your pictures can be anysize.  I though have photoshop so save them in the lowest size to cut down the space they use up on the (free) hosting site as you have a limit, plus also they uplaod faster.

You can post images directly but they have to be small and I suspect theirs a limit i.e. you can't have 2 pictures that in total exceed that limit (but I'm not certain of that).

You can obviously post the image url using mobile format as it's just a written code.

Look at the last of the pinned topics in this sub forum for a more detailed explanation of how to do this.

Rob.

Would that work in the same way with Dropbox?

I uploaded a pic (via dropbox) in one of the threads on here, half expecting the pic to be resized to fit the page (this is what happens on other forums i post on) but it was the full 3.5K*2.5k size so only half of the pic was viewable on screen ::) ;D

Needless to say, i scratched that post.

Do you have to manually resize any pic before you post/link to on this site?
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 20:44:20, 28/08/13 »
I always resize my pictures because the site doesn't.  I deliberately don't upload full res pics to hosting sites so resizing them is no problem and takes minimal time.

Rob.

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 22:08:24, 28/08/13 »
I always resize my pictures because the site doesn't.  I deliberately don't upload full res pics to hosting sites so resizing them is no problem and takes minimal time.

Rob.

OK Cheers.

I used to use a nifty little free programme that resized my photos back in the day when resizing was needed.  Might have to search around for it again.

I've got so used to not needing to do it any more, it was quite a shock when i previewed a post and only half of the pic could be seen on the screen ;D
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 20:19:28, 29/08/13 »
I use an old version of photoshop which is 10-times cheaper than the latest version. Plus it's useful for editing pics in RAW.

Rob.

stuartc1470

« Reply #74 on: 12:44:10, 10/12/13 »
QUESTION:
I am thinking of getting a camera to take on hikes and general days out and have noticed that the brigde type cameras have a great zoom and seem to do what I need, however I am not sure if they can be used with filters etc. Or do I go for a cheaper DSLR?
Cheers
Stuart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy