Author Topic: West highland way June 21  (Read 2381 times)

Mevmev

West highland way June 21
« on: 20:11:23, 28/10/20 »
My friend and I are planning on doing WHW next year and we are currently planning our itinerary. We plan to do it in 5 days.

We plan to camp at sites along the way, does anyone have any advice on what sites are best?

snoopdawg

Re: West highland way June 21
« Reply #1 on: 20:28:42, 28/10/20 »
Does depend on your itinerary and intended mileage each day. Campsites at Easter Drumquhassle, several on Loch lomond shore, Beinglas farm at the end of Loch lomond, two in Tyndrum then nothing until Kinlochleven. Hostels and bunkhouses in Drymen, Rowardennan, Inversnaid, Crianlarich, Tyndrum, Bridge of Orchy, Kingshouse hotel. Bothies at Rowchoish and Doune. Of course a lot will depend on any covid restrictions in place at that time as much is closed or restricted at this time.
Just been on the WHW in mid Sept. Did a hotel in Drymen the first night as LNER and Scotrail combined to leave me in Edinburgh at the time I should have been walking so after a Glasgow train and taxi to Milngavie I was well late in starting. Did 4 nights wild camping after that with camps nr Rowchoish bothy, Crianlarich crossroads, Rannoch moor and in the woods above Kinlochleven.
In answer to your question I would rate the Tyndrum sites the best for facilities and access to others in the village.
Enjoy it, I have now done it 3 times, I usually think of my stopovers first and then work out mileages between

snoopdawg

« Reply #2 on: 22:13:57, 28/10/20 »
Might also add, if you can alter your plans and go during May, earlier the better, then the midges will be avoided.

Mevmev

« Reply #3 on: 02:12:24, 29/10/20 »
Thanks for that snoopdawg. Should’ve said we are planning 20 miles a day.

Milngavie to Balmaha
Balmaha to inverarnan
Inverarnan to bridge of orchy
Bridge of orchy to kinlochleven
Kinlochleven to fort William.

Unfortunately as we both work offshore its the only available dates that we have for next year, we’ll just have to deal with the midges.

Sevenup

« Reply #4 on: 06:47:39, 29/10/20 »
Given your route this won’t matter much to you but others might benefit. There’s a campsite at the Glencoe Mountain Centre with pitches on AstroTurf and a good toilet block. They also have ‘hobbit huts’ for rent. After the fire in the cafe block they have some kind of shop serving snacks at the entrance to the car park. I often camp beside the river at Kingshouse. Facilities now include a modern toilet for walkers along with updated bunkhouse facilities. Breakfast and dinner are welcome variations on the trail.

snoopdawg

« Reply #5 on: 20:31:20, 30/10/20 »
In relation to your itinerary.
Day 1. No actual camping in Balmaha but further on at Milarrochy bay there is a C and CC site and 2 further on, though this would add to first day mileage.
Day 2. Camping at Beinglas farm.
Day 3. No camping site at Bridge of Orchy. Wildcamping is permitted however over the bridge and more 3 miles on at Inveroran. There is a bunkhouse at the Bridge of Orchy station, I have not used this.
Day 4. Camping at Blackwater hostel.
Day 5. Campsite in Glen Nevis.
If considering accommodation please consider that during the summer months availability is booked quite far ahead

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #6 on: 07:21:20, 21/11/20 »
I wild camped every night without too much trouble, but did pass a lot of well placed campsites that I could have used. I wild camped so that I was able to do the maximum mileage each day and also able to reduce the mileage when needed, as some days were unexpectedly harder than others. The path along Loch Lomond was a lot rougher and slower than expected. 5 days is walking the WHW fairly quickly, totally possible if travelling light weight and you're reasonably fit. But could turn into a slog if you get a lot of rain or blisters and trying to reach campsites you've pre booked. Unless of course you're extremely fit and/or experienced so you know what you can do. Myself I'm not particularly fit but am experienced.
Best of luck. It's a great walk, I really enjoyed it.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:10:33, 24/11/20 »
I hiked it in April last year as part of my WHW + Cape Wrath Trail hike. It was perfect because in April the WHW isn't too crowded yet and there were zero midges :)

Although I like to walk alone and generally look for seclusion, I quite enjoyed the social aspect of the WHW. I met some really nice people. The WHW has a bit of a trail culture, which is nice. It is hiked by people from all over the world and for many it is their first multi-day hiking adventure, so everybody is excited about it.

You can easily wild-camp, but in Tyndrum I stayed at By The Way campsite because it is a quite populated area and wildcamping there felt like camping in somebody's backyard. Some of the campsites along the WHW, like Beinglas Farm and By The way campsites are actually pretty cool for the social aspect. I have used them several times when car-camping/ day-hiking the area.

My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy