Author Topic: GPS  (Read 6229 times)

Chris

• Administrator
GPS
« on: 03:00:45, 09/04/06 »
Can anyone recommend a GPS device? Is a dedicated walkers gps or a Pocket PC the way to go?

mountaineer1974

Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: 22:29:01, 21/04/06 »
I personally use the garmin etrex fantasic for keeping a track of the day eg speed times distance etc and emergency use if the mist comes down and you can't see a thing !!
Simple to use and easy to see all the relevent info.
Just a note if you are using a GPS it is not a substitute for map and compass please do take these

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 18:41:39, 25/04/06 »
What is the battery life like on these devices.

I personally have a PocketPC and the most cost effective solution is to buy a GPS attachment for about £40. But I am concerned about battery life as it only lasts about 4 hours and probably less if powering a GPS card.

Also I guess the dedicated devices are more weatherproof? You'd need some sort of waterproof case or bag for a PocketPC.

The software for PocketPC's looks better though with your position shown on colourful maps on a large screen. Some of the dedicated devices look a bit primitive with black & white screens, no map and little more than a grid reference.

titaniumdude

« Reply #3 on: 04:09:46, 31/07/06 »
Thats krap battery life!  4 hours gets you nowhere, not even in the UK.  The Garmin etrex is class.  22 hours battery lie (enough for 3-7 days unless you're a total spanner) and very easy to use.  Personally I only switch it on when crossing featureless landscape or whwn there is mist.  Dont rely on a GPS alone is my thought. Take a compass and map as well!
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 21:30:02, 31/07/06 »
I notice there are a couple of versions of the Etrex, a basic black & white version and a more interesting colour version with maps:

http://www.sporttek.co.uk/eTrex_Vista_Cx_.html

The colour one costs quite a lot more, but is the onscreen map nagivation as good as it looks? I take it the b/w one just gives you a map ref that you then have to look up on a paper map?

Crag Rat

« Reply #5 on: 15:56:36, 02/08/06 »
I've just ordered myself the Etrex (black and white version) off Amazon.  Can't wait for it to arrive!!   8)

I'll let you all know if I think it's any good.
....because it's there....

titaniumdude

« Reply #6 on: 02:43:59, 10/08/06 »
Garmin do a whole range of Etrex Gps units.  Gohere to see them http://www.garmin.com/  I only use the basic one at the moment which is simply called the Etrex.  Not the Etrex Legend etc.  Hence when you asked if an Etrex was useful/good I was answering on this premise.  You can buy a £400 Etrex which is all singing and all dancing, but there is little point if all you're gonna use it for is a bit of low level hill walking.  To be quite frank, the only real reasons you may need one of these for in GB is for bad weather or where you reach a summit (or thereabouts) where tghere is a lot of magneti rock (Skye for instance).  Never checked out the more expensive models, but I'm sure they're the dogs!
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Crag Rat

« Reply #7 on: 15:54:03, 05/09/06 »
Well I've used my eTrex a couple of times now and I must say I am quite impressed.

I have also purchased Memory Map (http://www.memory-map.co.uk/ [nofollow]) which allows me to plot my route on my laptop and then download it to the GPS.  When you return from your walk you can then upload your route onto memory map and save it as a new route or compare it to ones previously saved.  Memory Map also enables to print of route cards, check ascent/descent and will give you a 3D fly through of your route.  If you haven't seen it before then I recommend downloading the free trial here:

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/downloads.htm [nofollow]

I'm going to be using my eTrex a lot in the Lakes next week as it can also give you grid references, altitude, miles walked, time taken, sunrise, sunset and a whole host of other great features.   

It's only £80 on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-eTrex-GPS-Personal-Navigator/dp/B000BTCF94/sr=8-2/qid=1157467788/ref=pd_ka_2/202-8087011-4439040?ie=UTF8&s=gateway [nofollow]

I think it's an absolute bargain and if your using it with software such as Memory Map then you'll definitely get the most out of it.

titaniumdude

« Reply #8 on: 20:25:02, 05/09/06 »
Which model of GPS do you use CR?  I only have the basic etrex (the yellow thingy).  Is it able to be used for this? The manual says to use "Memory Map Trip and Waypoint Planner" which I was planning to get (only 20-25 quid).  My Gps is not able to hold maps etc.

Crag Rat

« Reply #9 on: 08:35:27, 06/09/06 »
TD - I've got the basic yellow eTrex as well and it store's my routes from memory map no problem.  It doesn't hold maps but it will download all the waypoints on a route and guide to each one.  Best thing to do is download the trial version of memory map and give it a whirl.  8)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy