Author Topic: What is a good flask to bring on the hills (0.5 - 1 litre size)  (Read 1523 times)

wbmkk

What flask would folk here recommend to bring with me, when out for a walk?

Just for a hot cuppa or two or three.

Obviously, a glass-lined Thermos is great, but they are not very tough .. My granddaughter dropped my last one and it ended upo in the bin.

Aluminium looks stronger, but I think some, if not all don't hod the heat very well. I suppose, as long as it keeps a cuppa reasonably hot for 3-4 hours, that would do me.

thank you

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Plenty of stainless steel flasks around, not seen aluminium. 1 litre is a lot of tea! ...but a larger flask will retain the heat better, as long as you fill it.

My son received a Lifeventure Thermal Mug at Christmas, he tried it out on Fairfield a few days later (pre lockdown). Had a hot cuppa after maybe 3 hours. 300ml capacity.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Worth a read but there are others http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=26034.0

Stick "flask" in the Google search box top right.
« Last Edit: 08:45:31, 04/02/21 by kinkyboots »

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
Stainless steel Thermos for me, keeps the drink warm / hot all day if the flask is pre warmed. 1L sounds too big. My old green Stanley flask still works fine after 30 yrs but weighs about the same as a brick.

ayjay

Stainless steel flasks work very well, until you get a dink in the outer shell and then you will have breached the vacuum and they lose an awful lot of their effectiveness, so treat them as gently you would a glass one.
I take an insulated bottle for my short (2 hours) afternoon walks: I take tea in mine and have to add some cold water otherwise I can't drink it until i get home again!

Peak

Black Lifeventure 700 flask for me, still had hot coffee after 6 hours and it's streamlined so fits nicely in rucksac pocket. The capacity is actually 750ml although called 700.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Mine is 700ml stainless steel. Enough for me for day.
For about 20 yrs I had an Aladdin stainless steel then the rubbery seal went and they don't make them any more :(
Current flask is from Next but cost me £1.50 in a charity shop

To help it keep hot, I always preheat it, make the tea in the flask (tea bag), don't add milk but take a little plastic bottle of milk to add when I have a drink, milk in first of course 8)
« Last Edit: 09:44:56, 04/02/21 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Peak

Jac,
I do the same, carry the milk separately, if added when first made my coffee tastes awful after a couple of hours.

Peak

Just need to add that hot Vimto in winter is very nice, when cold still nice to drink so no waste.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
I bring what I believe is a 750ml flask (it takes pretty much a whole cafetiere of coffee), which is a stainless steel flask I've had for about 15 years, originally bought in Scandinavia, and which seems to keep hot drinks at the rough temperature of molten lava.  Usually I end up needing to leave the top off for a while before closing it up or it ends up being far too hot on the hill when I first want to drink from it.  If I'm heading off into the fells it's usually flask + empty water bottle (I don't like carrying water uphill!).

Most other flasks I've tried have been unfortunately very poor - I do own a Thermos Food Flask which is a bit of an indulgence for a day hike now and again (usually I'm one of the minimalist dried fruit and raisins + protein bar types), I'd probably say you get five hours out of it if you're lucky and you need to make sure the food goes in piping hot.

For me tiny flasks don't make much sense, I know some swear by them but I'd rather bring an insulated cup with me and drink it before starting my hike.  Stuff to put in it:  tea, coffee (with milk premixed, I don't like faffing about with milk cartons and powders if I can help it), hot chocolate or ribena if it's going to be a big day and I need a very unhealthy sugar kick and want to fund my dentist's next sports car in a few years time.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
I just love the quality of my small Sigg Hot & Cold One flask.
It also comes with a stainless steel tea bag strainer built inside, which you can remove, or use, which ive never seen in another flask.

Bought mine in TK Maxx two years ago, for a very reasonable £12, and even though it has a small capacity, of around two cups of tea or coffee, its the portability and quality of the thing, that i like the most.

Its over engineered, and has a very nice carrying handle built into the handle

Its very high quality, for a reasonable outlay, and comes highly recommended
« Last Edit: 11:48:34, 05/02/21 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Eyelet

A black 700ml Lifeventure flask for me too, but I prefer a couple of fruit tea bags which don’t stew or some mulligatawny soup.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
I have several stainless steel flasks but recently I have been using the Lifeventure thermal mug 300ml. I found it to be very effective and need to leave the cap off before I can have my first sip. I pre warm before filling with hot black current.

As with all flasks once some of the contents has been used, the remaining amount doesn't stay as warm. When doing lots of all day walks with another person we use to have multiple 500 ml flasks as all the flask contents would be consumed in one go. This would ensure the afternoon drink was always hot rather than lukewarm as it was a full unopened flask.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Stube

I use a 300 ml stainless steel flask. The contents of which will still be warm to hot 10 hours after filling depending on how much I've drunk during the day.
I would recommend avoiding flasks with push-button tops - they take much more cleaning than the slotted side types.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy