Author Topic: TR Easter 19 Day 3 and 4 Allen Crags to Old Dungeon Ghyll  (Read 2907 times)

April

• Veteran Member
This is the second TR from Easter 19 see the first one here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=38361.msg545216;topicseen#msg545216

The wind had been blustery most of the night and it had kept me awake for a while. It had died down by 4am. We had another sunny and warm day but hazy again.

Great End in the morning sun

We packed up, pleased we just had a normal wild camp weight again. We are usually only out for one night and not used to the weight of a multi day trip. We could save weight by not bringing wine but what would be the fun in that?  ;D We traversed the slopes of Allen Crags to reach the Esk Hause path. Esk Pike was our first fell of the day.

Squeaky looking at Esk Pike

Close up of Scafell Pike

Great End from the way up Esk Pike

Beefy and Squeaky on Esk Pike summit

It was windy up here.

Bowfell and Crinkle Crags from Esk Pike

We were off to Bowfell next. At Ore Gap we had a search for some water, we had run out. We got some from the north side of the col.

Looking down at the climbers traverse from the top of Bowfell Buttress

We had our lunch here away from all the people, sitting in the sun and out of the wind.

Scafells from Bowfell summit

It was busy on Bowfell and I wish we'd got there before the rush hour. Some peeps were in a rush and were getting a bit close to me as I got onto the summit. I'm not sure what the panic was, the summit wasn't going to disappear if they had to wait an extra 20 seconds. I had to stop and move over a few times to let them overtake.

No other summit pics, too many peeps about. I really must try not to get so annoyed by other people  >:(  :-[

Walking by Great Slab

Across to the Scafells

Looking back at Bowfell

We were now going across the Crinkles. It was hard work in the heat with all the ups and downs and rough ground underfoot carrying wild camping gear.

Scafells from Crinkle Crags summit

Looking back at the Bad Step

Needless to say, we didn't come down it but took the western path down from the summit that avoids it.

Cold Pike from the bottom of the first Crinkle

The pollen had been very high over the weekend and we were both struggling with it and felt pretty grotty. Add to that the dust being blown from the dry paths into our eyes despite having our sunglasses on and our eyes were smarting and streaming. All three of us were tired and Cold Pike looked like a good place to find a pitch. We just didn't have the energy to go over Pike O'Blisco where we had planned to pitch. After a bit of a search we found a great spot out of the wind and it was pretty flat too.

The MSR near Cold Pike

Water was got from a nearby tarn that was surprisingly clear. We expected it to be brown  :o

Crinkle Crags from our pitch

We had a rest and had our tea. We said we would make the next multi day trip a bit easier, it had been hard going over the Gables and Esk Pike to Crinkle Crags.

The sun going down behind Slight Side

It wasn't a weekend for good sunsets.

Pike O'Blisco

We went to sleep early, we were tired out! Day 3 was Pitch below Allen Crags - Esk Pike - Bowfell - Crinkle Crags - near Cold Pike. 9.5km with 500m ascent.

For once I managed to get a photo of the sun coming up  ;D

The sun rising behind Pike O'Blisco

We were up and away by 8.10; first stop was Cold Pike summit.

Beefy and Squeaky on Cold Pike summit

It was another hazy day, not a great weekend for long distance views.

Toward the Coniston Fells from Cold Pike

Pike O'Blisco from Cold Pike

On the way down to Great Langdale

We wanted to catch the 11.05 bus. It would be a 4 hour and 20 minute journey home on 4 buses

Great Knott, Crinkle Crags and Bowfell

We chatted to a couple we know who get the bus to the Lake District in Carlisle. They were ascending as we were descending. They were doing Cold Pike and Crinkle Crags. It was nice to see them  :)

A look back at the descent from Oxendale Beck

The Langdale Pikes from near Stool End

Lamb and Ma at Stool End

Crinkle Crags from the bus stop at ODG

Our bus arrived at 11.05 and we chatted to a Japanese tourist who wanted to go up Scafell Pike. He obviously loved the Lake District and he was really excited to be here  :)

Day 4 was Pitch near Cold Pike - Red Tarn - Brownie Gill - Oxendale Beck - Stool End - ODG 6.5km with 50m ascent. We were shattered but we'd had a great 4 days, not the most miles we've ever walked but we'd struggled a bit over the rough ground. This is our first multi day trip for a while; we will get more practise in a fortnight on the bank holiday, some nice weather again if you please  :)
« Last Edit: 21:37:28, 25/04/19 by April »
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great stuff Ape O0
Was tough carrying all that wine ;D
Nice drinking it though :D
Fancy a WC this weekend  8)

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
Fancy a WC this weekend  8)

It looks a bit rainy for Saturday but dryer on Sunday. We can decide tomorrow night  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely pictures April.
Did you really only do 50m of ascent?

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Good show April. Have you considered putting the wine in plastic bottles to save weight? I think it's OK in PET bottles like a coke bottle for a while. Not sure what effect opening it would have, but I seem to recall you can re-cork wine and it keeps OK.

April

• Veteran Member
Did you really only do 50m of ascent?

;D On Day 4 it was just the ascent of Cold Pike and then mostly all down to Great Langdale. Day 3 was 500m of ascent. I didn't record the routes with Viewranger over the weekend, I left my tablet at home to save weight. The distances I've posted are pretty accurate but the ascent for each day may be underestimated.

Have you considered putting the wine in plastic bottles to save weight?

Yes, we use platypus bladders to carry the wine. The weight quoted is all wine  ;D  :-[ 
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Enjoyed your two TRs of the Easter weekend April    :)    Glad Squeaky is feeling better

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Yes, we use platypus bladders to carry the wine. The weight quoted is all wine  ;D  :-[

And why not if it makes you happy. I notice the wine weight information seems to have gone  ;D

Mel

• Veteran Member
Another lovely story to read April  :)

Are those white bits patches of snow up on the Scafells?

I like it that Squeaky seems to be coming out of the tent every time you take your wildcamp spot pic  ;D   Is a Squeaky Selfie known as a Squelchie?   :D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
More lovely photos April. Especially that sunrise!

Do you take anything for the pollen?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Easter 19 Day 3 and 4 Allen Crags to Old Dungeon Ghyll
« Reply #10 on: 23:30:14, 25/04/19 »
Lovely pics again April, what a fabulous weekend. How does Squeaky find the rocky paths? I'm not far off bringing Beelzebub the Puppy (Penny) for a walk  in the fells, but not sure how far to push it on young paws.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:37:53, 26/04/19 »
Are those white bits patches of snow up on the Scafells?

They are, there were a few patches about here and there on the higher tops

Is a Squeaky Selfie known as a Squelchie?   :D

;D It is now  :) Thanks Mel

Do you take anything for the pollen?

We do, I take antihistamine + spray. I got some eye drops on Tuesday. Beefy can't take antihistamine and has to take other special meds and sprays. Thanks Richard  O0

How does Squeaky find the rocky paths? I'm not far off bringing Beelzebub the Puppy (Penny) for a walk  in the fells, but not sure how far to push it on young paws.

Thanks pdstsp :)

Loving the alt name for Penny  :)
Squeaky gets up rocky stuff quicker than I can  :) Because she is a whippet she is built for speed over short distances. She does tire after a few hours so we may not be doing as much mileage this summer. She races about here and there for a few hours then slows down. I've never had a dog before so it is all new to me, I am amazed how well she goes up scrambly rock bits!
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:48:02, 26/04/19 »
We do, I take antihistamine + spray. I got some eye drops on Tuesday. Beefy can't take antihistamine and has to take other special meds and sprays. Thanks Richard  O0

I'm a fellow sufferer so I know what it can be like - and there's a LOT of grass up here in Orkney. Loratadine seems to work for me.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:26:58, 26/04/19 »
Another great TR, April - looks like you had a cracking weekend... There might be haze in the distance but the pictures of the closer fells are fantastic, in fact sometimes the contrast with the background works really well, I think.  O0

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:29:03, 26/04/19 »
Rather you than me! Camping I mean. Great stuff  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy