Author Topic: Factors that may shape our attitudes towards cattle...  (Read 7336 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Factors that may shape our attitudes towards cattle...
« Reply #75 on: 22:55:19, 07/11/20 »
My relation, a farmer, has installed an electric fence between edge of his field and ROW, to avoid any incidents. He is fortunate that the ROW comes down the side of his land and not across.
Seen that before. OK until he doesn’t bother to trim the hedge and vegetation.  If the path sees a lot is use, it can end up as a quagmire.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #76 on: 23:45:52, 07/11/20 »
Seen that before. OK until he doesn’t bother to trim the hedge and vegetation.  If the path sees a lot is use, it can end up as a quagmire.
Wouldn’t the path be more of a quagmire if the cows also had access?

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #77 on: 23:55:09, 07/11/20 »

The path is actually one of the Worlds oldest railway tracks!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #78 on: 09:11:22, 08/11/20 »
Wouldn’t the path be more of a quagmire if the cows also had access?
Round here quite a few paths are fenced off from the rest of the field they cross, usually by barbed wire but sometimes by what purports to be an electric fence.  Those that run by hedge lines often force the walker off the line of the path towards the fence. Many of them near villages are used by walkers and get churned up in the winter.
Not fencing gives the walker more freedom of line.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #79 on: 09:26:51, 08/11/20 »
Better a bit of clag than a curious beast getting too close and personal.

Well done that farmer, better to think of others than worry about accidents.

Kinkyboots can give you really good advice on footwear to wear on muddy tracks for free. A bump in the ribs and getting trampled into said mud is avoidable thanks to the thoughtful farmer. If only others did this or something similar.

Too little, too late, too bad......

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #80 on: 09:49:31, 08/11/20 »
I post this purely as an observation, because I don't have strong feelings in this particular case.  :)

The satellite view is of a field - a full half-a-mile across - that's just down the road from me (it's the one I cross only when the cows are indoors) and it's also the field featured in the very first post of this topic:

The green line is pretty close to the PRoW footpath as shown on the OS and council maps. However, fingerposts (white dots) direct walkers around the edge of the field by a drainage ditch (there's no fence). What interests me is that the fingerposts are of the very substantial kind which, in Kent at least, are only ever seen at junctions with roads and byways. Since two are pointing in the 'wrong' direction and the other is nowhere near the official RoW, I often wonder who put them there...
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #81 on: 10:09:43, 08/11/20 »
Better a bit of clag than a curious beast getting too close and personal.

Well done that farmer, better to think of others than worry about accidents.

Kinkyboots can give you really good advice on footwear to wear on muddy tracks for free. A bump in the ribs and getting trampled into said mud is avoidable thanks to the thoughtful farmer. If only others did this or something similar.
Equally nothing more frustrating than being forced through clag and overgrowth in a field that is more often than not devoid of cows.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #82 on: 10:50:13, 08/11/20 »
Equally nothing more frustrating than being forced through clag and overgrowth in a field that is more often than not devoid of cows.
Oh, the thought, "having one's cake and eating it comes to mind"

Most farmers work extremely long hours anyway, the thought of installing and removing, then repeating a needed action repeatedly will be very low down on their list of priorities. Once up and protecting an ROW, best left in place. In parts of Yorkshire, a long time ago, they put stonewalls up alongside paths as they last for hundreds of years, saves time and brass. Also keeps the paths extremely clearly defined.  This habit of fencing ROWs is to be applauded and encouraged.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #83 on: 12:51:08, 08/11/20 »
Whereas I prefer to walk without barriers on both sides in the first place - even less work for the farmer. O0
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #84 on: 13:42:46, 08/11/20 »
Whereas I prefer to walk without barriers on both sides in the first place - even less work for the farmer. O0
Ninthace,:
Have you no need to try to I understand the worries of others (who seem to make up the majority of writers on this and like topics).  Fences suit all those who are concerned, those who are not concerned can walk where they please anyway.

Personally, but without damaging anything I walk where I like, cattle and horses don't easliy bother me too much, though having had a farmer friend seriously injured by his own hand reared stock, I don't take the risks lightly.
I await your normal comeback with anticipation and will give way to allow you the last word.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #85 on: 14:32:32, 08/11/20 »

Thank you Jimbob.  Can I tackle your idea of permanent as opposed to temporary barriers?
I live in a county largely given over to stock rearing.  The animals are rotated between fields to protect the grazing so much of the time they are empty.  To protect the general public by fencing all the PROWs that cross fields where stock might be grazed would be a major undertaking as well as expensive, as would the maintenance of the fencing.  Moreover, when the the stock graze the fields they include the line of the PROWs.  Once stock are kept permanently clear of the paths, another means would be need to be found to keep the paths to stop them being choked by seasonal growth.
IMHO lines of parallel barbed wire one meter apart either side of every PROW that crosses grazing land would be a complete eyesore and would turn the countryside into little more than a theme park.  Such a proposal could also be detrimental to the current PROW network.  If landowners are forced to fence off paths, it will give them an excuse to challenge the continued existence of the PROW network, especially those sections that are little used.
I can understand that some people do not want to walk in fields with livestock in them and they are at liberty not to.  However, farms are first and foremost businesses, not recreational facilities - that is a bonus for us and rural communities but brings very little return to the farmers themselves.  This proposal would only serve to aggravate the the relationship between the farming and the walking communities.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #86 on: 15:04:17, 08/11/20 »
I realise that different herds are taken inside at different times of the year, but the good news for us is that every bovine within several miles of our house has now left the fields... for a few months at least.  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #87 on: 15:50:55, 08/11/20 »
I realise that different herds are taken inside at different times of the year, but the good news for us is that every bovine within several miles of our house has now left the fields... for a few months at least.  :)
We have a herd near us which. as of yesterday, was trying to convert its field into a working model of the Somme battlefield. Most cows round here seem to still be out and we even have fields with lambs that are a couple of weeks old.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #88 on: 15:56:09, 08/11/20 »
We have a herd near us which. as of yesterday, was trying to convert its field into a working model of the Somme battlefield. Most cows round here seem to still be out and we even have fields with lambs that are a couple of weeks old.
NintaceYour years being an expert in HM forces have clearly left you unsuited to the rural idyll.🤣

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #89 on: 16:02:17, 08/11/20 »
NintaceYour years being an expert in HM forces have clearly left you unsuited to the rural idyll.🤣
O0 O0   Agreed.  Whoever heard of an airfield in the countryside - ludicrous idea!  ;D ;D ;D
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy