Author Topic: A Tier 3 - North Liverpool  (Read 3916 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
A Tier 3 - North Liverpool
« on: 18:48:12, 25/10/20 »
Well it's deja vu all over again with local restrictions meaning we are advised not to leave our coughing hell pits, so it was a local walk today.

Left home after the early rain had passed through to walk a circular route taking in parts of the Leeds-Liverpool canal, some roads and boggy fields, a bit of the Trans Pennine trail, some boggy fields, more roads and a local village, and some farm tracks and more roads, before finishing off on a boggy field leading to another road and home.

First part of the walk was a short road section to arrive on Rimrose Valley, a reclaimed council dump which has been turned to urban wild area between Litherland and Crosby.  This area is a lovely place to walk the dogs and to score some good quality crack (depending on the time of day I believe), but is the subject of much concern at the moment as the powers want to put a four lane road through it to serve the docks.

Rimrose Valley

Crossing Rimrose brings you onto the canal bank.. it's a fair way to Leeds

Plenty of  birdlife about - ducks, geese, coots and this grey Heron - I love his impish look;

I followed the canal for around eight of nine miles, through Aintree, where it turns (at the canal turn surprisingly) to head to the countryside.  I walked for a while with a chap who was cleaning up a stretch of the bank - he was telling me he plays golf four times a week, and cleans the canal three times - he does a half mile stretch near the racecourse.  He was 85!!  Best line was "I don't really like walking".  

Once into the country the views open out a little;  

After a while, the town of Maghull is reached - this has many properties backing onto the canal, some with wonderfully imaginative decks/gardens - but I'm not a nosy parker so I didn't take any pictures of them.

Shortly after Maghull my route took me across country for half a mile to pick up the Trans Pennine Trail, where I turned North.  This section of the TPT is an old rail line so is virtually dead straight, and has hedges on either side.  Views are fleeting in many places;

When the views do open out they are mainly of the West Lancashire plain;

After a half mile or so I took a sharp right, heading west on a farm track which runs dead straight for a lifetime and a bit,  

before reaching the mighty River Alt;  

The embankment was the only climb of the day    ;D

From there my route was across this boggy field margin

And then having to climb this gate as the farmer had locked the gate blocking the ROW, and had used a combination lock.  I tried my birthday but it didn't work;

From this point my route was mainly on roads for a couple of miles round the village of Ince Blundell - no pictures as I was dodging cars, and then across some fields towards the village of Little Crosby.  This is an interesting little place, local tradition is that there are no Protestants, Paupers or Pubs in the village.  It is a very Catholic place - many of my descendants are buried here - please excuse the old photo - my camera battery went flat.

From here it is a mile and a bit to my house, via some fields bordering the estate of the local Lord Fauntleroy.

Overall around 16 miles with 35m of climbing.  Pleasant walking, the first stretch along the canal being new to me, but I am looking forward to a return to the hills.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: A Tier 3 - North Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: 19:24:42, 25/10/20 »
I laughed out loud at that  ;D

That heron looks like he's just scored some good quality crack  :D

Really enjoyed reading that.  Thanks for posting  O0

Hope you get out of Covid-hell soon.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:49:06, 25/10/20 »
Looks a very pleasant canal walk    :)    I always love waterside walking

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:07:24, 25/10/20 »
An interesting walk from a city location. I assume it your ancestors, rather than your descendants, that are buried in the churchyard.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:15:16, 25/10/20 »
Thanks Mel and Dovegirl. Glad I made you kaugh Mel!  And top narks for paying attention,  BigFoot Mike, it is indeed my ancestors ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:00:00, 26/10/20 »
Nice photos pdstsp  O0

Shame you are being incarcerated again. It isn't against the law for you to travel out of your Tier 3 area just advised against, you are being very good.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:21:03, 26/10/20 »
Nice pics pdstsp O0
Ahh the Leeds Liverpool canal, I paddled a canoe along a stretch of that :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

stally

« Reply #7 on: 18:41:18, 26/10/20 »
Great post PD, enjoyable read, thank you.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:40:29, 26/10/20 »
Thanks everyone  - I noticed quite a few signs for canoe clubs, how did you get on with the anglers, Beefy?

April, I'm being good so far, as Tier 3 expands I might look for somewhere newer to me., with undulations  O0

Thanks Stally, glad you liked it.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:55:34, 26/10/20 »
Canny read, photos & storytelling. ;D

Must have been tempted to walk to Leeds ... one day maybe!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:59:50, 27/10/20 »
A good read PD thank you. I'm surprised there's not a pub in a 'very catholic place,' though perhaps it's not RC. The wind must whip across those flat fields in winter.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:11:56, 27/10/20 »
Canny read, photos & storytelling. ;D

Must have been tempted to walk to Leeds ... one day maybe!

I must admit that walking the length of the Leeds Liverpool does have some attractions - but I think I would want to continue on to Hull - I used to live there so it would be logical. The probelm for me would be the huge expanses of flatness before and after the Pennines - I think I would prefer something a bit wilder and hillier.   I once cycled Liverpool to Hull in a day which was fun - we had the aim of finishing at a pub called the Minerva on the dockside at Hull.  When we got there the landlord asked us where we had come from and how far it was - the total mileage for the day was 145 and he asked why we didn't do the extra five to make it a round number! We said we would if he moved the pub five miles down the road.

Jac - you are right it is very surprising, and yes it is RC!  The village has a very interesting history, particularly in relation to the reformation and suppression of Catholicism - priest holes in the landowners house, secret tunnels leading away for the village etc.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:16:11, 27/10/20 »
The wiki entry for Little Crosby is fascinating, especially the bibliography detailing the skirmishes around the bailiffs destraining cattle and other livestock from and the imprisonment of Wm. Blundell Esq who established a small graveyard for Catholics that were denied burial in the churchyard. I wonder if the location of that little graveyard is known. The detail in the accounts is amazing - one old lady, buried by the highway was dug up by pigs!
And we think we live in interesting times.

Thanks PD for opening this pandora's box

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:39:04, 27/10/20 »
Great TR PDSTSP enjoyed the banter too.  O0
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:57:24, 27/10/20 »
Thanks BWW - I took a picture thinking of you, earlier in the summer, which shows the wall of the Blundell Estate with an old gateway carefully blocked in to deny access - though when it was blocked, I have no idea.  This old entrance faces fields which I walk each morning with my dogs.  There is a matching one on the other side of the estate.

Jac - it really is quite a village, particularly given that it only has about 50 houses. 

And you are right - the wind does sweep over the area - even on a warm day.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy