Author Topic: Really missing North Wales  (Read 16324 times)

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
Re: Really missing North Wales
« Reply #45 on: 09:01:50, 30/07/20 »
It is a fantastic view. I am not sure I would choose Elidir Fawr from Nant Peris as a short route. In my opinion the relentless uphill slog needs to be rewarded with a visit to Y Garn and the Glyders.
The original plan was to go to Carnedd y Filiast, round, and back through the mines, but the weather wasn’t great (despite how the photo looks).

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 17:49:26, 09/08/20 »
Lovely day on the Glyderau!

Pen yr Ole Wen is an impressive lump.

Dread

« Reply #47 on: 17:54:39, 09/08/20 »
Really beautiful photo!

Booga

« Reply #48 on: 17:16:36, 13/08/20 »
Cwm Caseg, has to be one of the remotest cwms in the whole of the National Park.
Its a long walk in, and when you get there, your feet are soaking wet, no matter what footwear your wearing, its almost impossible not to navigate past the saturated ground.

It has to be one of the finest alternative routes to gain the main Carneddau ridge, and the mountainside leading up to Er Elens main summit, is quite remarkable.

Apart from the Rhinogs, is the only location in Snowdonia, that during a very busy August Bank Holiday, i didn't encounter a single walker all day.

Maybe not the best route in poor visibility, but for total solitude and surrounding vistas, its absolute magic.

Probably the reason it gets so few visitors, is that its a long walk in, over very boggy ground, a lot of which, cannot really be avoided.

If you want dry feet, the Caseg valley is best avoided, but sitting down opposite the small lake below the slopes of Yr Elen, eating your sandwiches, with only the wild ponies or sheep for company.

Its one of those walks, that every keen walker should attempt once in their lives, as its so magical, surrounded by vast open spaces, and guaranteed peace and quiet.
Cwm Caseg was actually the first walk I did that got me into all this outdoor stuff. We wild camped just down from the cwm at the confluence of 2 streams. I have a photo somewhere of me sitting at the lake looking up at the slopes above, it's still one of my favourite photos of my outdoor adventures.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 15:22:09, 20/08/20 »
Another great spot in North Wales.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 23:01:36, 23/08/20 »
I'm missing North Wales too but our very limited trips further afield are focused around university cities at the moment. Unfortunately I haven't persuaded my eldest of the delights of Bangor  ;)

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 06:57:08, 24/08/20 »
I'm missing North Wales too but our very limited trips further afield are focused around university cities at the moment. Unfortunately I haven't persuaded my eldest of the delights of Bangor  ;)

In retrospect, Bangor and Aberystwyth are cracking places to go to Uni.  I guess at 18, walking in the hills was pretty low on my list of priorities though.

It’s funny, I loved hill-walking when I was younger, but lost interest in my late teens, then only really got back into it in my 40s. I bet many here have consistently been walkers.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 08:01:58, 24/08/20 »
Lancaster would be a better choice. Good campus, Lakes up the road. Dales not far, Trough of Bowland on the doorstep.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 08:33:03, 24/08/20 »
Lancaster is a nice city - good pubs too!

Oops - thread drift :-[

Back on topic- we are still entertaining the hope that we will go to Snowdonia for a week during the October half tern - the owner of the holiday cottage was very good about giving us a refund when we cancelled early (before lockdown) due to Coronavirus, so we would like to give her the custom. Looks like a lovely spot, on the northern slopes of Cadair Idris.
« Last Edit: 08:36:15, 24/08/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 08:47:29, 24/08/20 »
Lancaster would be a better choice. Good campus, Lakes up the road. Dales not far, Trough of Bowland on the doorstep.
He did consider Lancaster but as a determined non-driver felt it was a bit too much in the middle of nowhere.

pasbury

« Reply #55 on: 16:21:38, 24/08/20 »

Back on topic- we are still entertaining the hope that we will go to Snowdonia for a week during the October half tern - the owner of the holiday cottage was very good about giving us a refund when we cancelled early (before lockdown) due to Coronavirus, so we would like to give her the custom. Looks like a lovely spot, on the northern slopes of Cadair Idris.

There's a lot of nice country round there. The Cadair ridge, southern Rhinogs and all the foothills leading down to the sea are wonderful.

There's also a lot to be gained by heading over the Bwlch Oerddrws on the A470 towards Dinas Mawddwy. The Maesglase range look spectacular from the road, they make a very nice walk and you won't meet a soul. Carry on to Dinas Mawddwy and turn left and you get to both Cwm Cywarch and the Dyfi valley leading to Llanymawddwy. The Arans ridge is one of the finest in Snowdonia. Looking at the map to the east of the Aran ridge you might be surprised at how much good walking territory there is is.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 16:33:21, 24/08/20 »
Lancaster is a nice city - good pubs too!

Oops - thread drift :-[

Sorry - my fault  :-[
Before I realised the direction my summer was taking I fancied staying in the Dolgellau area and walking in the Rhinogydd, up Maesglase or on the Aran ridge. Then I worried I might be a bit too out of practice for the Rhinogydd and pondered a visit to the Elan Valley. Definitely got a lot of catching up to do in the coming years, I have been trying to visit at least one new Welsh mountain range each year but I haven't managed one yet in 2020.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 17:11:05, 24/08/20 »
Sorry - my fault  :-[
Before I realised the direction my summer was taking I fancied staying in the Dolgellau area and walking in the Rhinogydd, up Maesglase or on the Aran ridge. Then I worried I might be a bit too out of practice for the Rhinogydd and pondered a visit to the Elan Valley. Definitely got a lot of catching up to do in the coming years, I have been trying to visit at least one new Welsh mountain range each year but I haven't managed one yet in 2020.
When I first read your aim was to visit at least one new Welsh mountain range I thought that would be a fairly short list. My thought a hill had to be over 2000 ft to be a mountain so that was Snowdonia, the Brecon Beacons and the Black Mountains.  Then I read that there is no generally accepted definition of a mountain but I did find one I liked: a large heap.  Given that, you should find plenty to amuse yourself  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

pasbury

« Reply #58 on: 19:34:13, 24/08/20 »
When I first read your aim was to visit at least one new Welsh mountain range I thought that would be a fairly short list. My thought a hill had to be over 2000 ft to be a mountain so that was Snowdonia, the Brecon Beacons and the Black Mountains.  Then I read that there is no generally accepted definition of a mountain but I did find one I liked: a large heap.  Given that, you should find plenty to amuse yourself  :)

In the context of Wales I just reckon it means a distinct group of hills surrounded by lower ground, height has absolurtely nothing to do with it. the Preseli for instance.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 21:23:29, 24/08/20 »
There's a lot of nice country round there. The Cadair ridge, southern Rhinogs and all the foothills leading down to the sea are wonderful.

Indeed - I was lucky enough to live in Snowdonia for 17+ years. I moved away 19 years ago to somewhere rather remote, and I haven't been back since, so I am really looking forward to my return, even if it is only for a week. And my son wants to climb Snowdon.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy