Author Topic: Really missing North Wales  (Read 16326 times)

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
Really missing North Wales
« on: 12:19:29, 10/04/20 »
I’ve only managed one trip this year.

Went up Glyder Fawr via the gribbin, down the scree-slope of doom to Llyn y Cwn, up Y Garn, then down the other side and along to Foel-Goch. Then went along the edge of Cwm Cywion and down back towards Ogwen.

Probably my favourite part of the world. Miss it, but it’ll still be there when all this craziness ends.

Lee R

Re: Really missing North Wales
« Reply #1 on: 12:25:31, 10/04/20 »
We're missing ANYWHERE! Even our usual more local stuff.

It's not so bad for me as I am still working. And we did manage a few days in the Brecons early March.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:26:11, 10/04/20 »
I’ve only managed one trip this year.

Went up Glyder Fawr via the gribbin, down the scree-slope of doom to Llyn y Cwn, up Y Garn, then down the other side and along to Foel-Goch. Then went along the edge of Cwm Cywion and down back towards Ogwen.

Probably my favourite part of the world. Miss it, but it’ll still be there when all this craziness ends.
I sympathise,  it is beautiful walking country but not my favourite part of the world.  The world is a big place  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:41:06, 10/04/20 »
Really missing it too. I've been anticipating a multiple-day walk in May since the start of the year, I had it all planned even down to the campsite I'd use for my first night when I got to Wales and where I would eat (and drink) that night.
The only thing I hadn't done was order any of the dried meals and other stuff that I would need, otherwise it would have been sitting around making me feel even more mopey.
But as a result the unspent pounds are building up in my pocket money account, together with what I'm not spending on petrol during lockdown.
Another thing it has meant is that I can delay buying the new boots that would have been essential for the wet Welsh uplands; my old ones are quite serviceable except they leak like colanders. Actually I might have to delay it even  longer, for I was intending to go to Cotswold for fitting and buy them there.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:50:56, 10/04/20 »
The Ogwen Valley really is stunning - not been there for two decades though. Maybe sometime soon now that I have moved south from Orkney - once lockdown has been lifted, that is.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:03:04, 11/04/20 »
Do not worry, its been there for millions of years, and no doubt, will be there at the end of the year, when  hopefully this virus leaves our shores.

Our thoughts should be with the grieving families, who have lost family members, during the past weeks.

This epidemic is far from over, with over 1000 casualties alone, yesterday.

If people are missing North Wales that much. theres some simply knockout videos on Youtube, a lot of them in 4k as well.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:52:22, 09/07/20 »
Looks like Wales is back in the menu again now. I’ve done a fair number of Peak District walks and been up to the Lakes a few times, but really looking forward to getting back to Snowdonia. Just need a bit of decent weather.

It’s going to have to be the Glyders as the first trip back.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:57:43, 09/07/20 »
Ah, Tryfan and the Glyders. Been many a year......
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:41:45, 10/07/20 »
Really missing it too. I've been anticipating a multiple-day walk in May since the start of the year, I had it all planned even down to the campsite I'd use for my first night when I got to Wales and where I would eat (and drink) that night.
The only thing I hadn't done was order any of the dried meals and other stuff that I would need, otherwise it would have been sitting around making me feel even more mopey.
But as a result the unspent pounds are building up in my pocket money account, together with what I'm not spending on petrol during lockdown.
Another thing it has meant is that I can delay buying the new boots that would have been essential for the wet Welsh uplands; my old ones are quite serviceable except they leak like colanders. Actually I might have to delay it even  longer, for I was intending to go to Cotswold for fitting and buy them there.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:52:08, 10/07/20 »
Fernman .
I was the same as you .
I Also had a couple of weeks of hikeing and camping planned and
 Worked out.
Walking the Llyn coastal path .
Had all the Campsites mapped and where to stay,
Was really looking forward to seeing all the Lovely places in the Wales coastal path.
Hopefully later this year maybe.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:13:35, 13/07/20 »
Got up into the Glyderau yesterday, and it was great to be back. Quite a few people knocking around, even on the tops, but the ones I chatted to said the same thing ie that they just wanted to get back out there, and this was the best day’s weather we’d had in a while.

I got out early and did the Y Garn, Fawr, Fach traverse, and conditions were fantastic.

I came off G Fach down the scree path that runs to the side of Bristly Ridge, and there were a couple of blokes going up that way. Can’t say I’ve ever tried going up that route, but it must be a real slog - it’s steeper and looser than the scree path on Fawr, and that’s bad enough!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:14:53, 13/07/20 »

I came off G Fach down the scree path that runs to the side of Bristly Ridge, and there were a couple of blokes going up that way. Can’t say I’ve ever tried going up that route, but it must be a real slog - it’s steeper and looser than the scree path on Fawr, and that’s bad enough!
That path is bad enough in descent. It must be horrible in ascent, especially dodging all the debris dislodged by those descending.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:47:03, 13/07/20 »
That path is bad enough in descent. It must be horrible in ascent, especially dodging all the debris dislodged by those descending.
On my way down I thought “you’d have to be certifiable to go up that”, and then I met them. I did say it was pretty steep and loose, but they said they’d been up it before. Fair play to them, and good effort. It’s the most direct route, I suppose!

They’d probably enjoy the SW route up Pen yr Ole Wen - another killer slog.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:42:10, 13/07/20 »
I suppose Bristly Ridge could be described as the direct route. I agree that the SW approach to Pen Yr Ole Wen is also a slog, made more interesting on my ascent by looking down on the RAF jets that almost made me jump out of my skin. I think that the ascent of Elidir Fawr from Nant Peris takes the biscuit for worst slog up a hill (or mountain). I have done it several times and each time wondered why I didn’t pick a different route. Once up it does give access to the Glyders, so it has one redeeming feature.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:42:17, 13/07/20 »
Yes, that’s another killer climb. At least the surface is better than the others, though.

I think a lot of the routes onto the Glyders are quite punishing. They tend to be short routes onto big hills, and very loose above a certain level. 

I was thinking Y Garn was steeper than I remembered. (Although I’m probably a bit off-form this year). Fair bit of scree in the final third.

Devils kitchen is no cakewalk, even before you’ve done that scree slope.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy