Author Topic: Dartmoor walk from Bennett's Cross  (Read 6062 times)

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Dartmoor walk from Bennett's Cross
« on: 11:41:24, 19/07/16 »
It's been some time since I posted a trip report, so I thought I would make amends and post the details of this walk that I did yesterday.  It was a really good walk as the landscape is a mixture of open moorland, hay meadows and woodland.  I started the walk from Bennett's Cross, which is situated beside the main road between Two Bridges and Mortonhampstead.
I parked in the small car park close to the cross and left these Highland cattle guarding the car.

Bennett's Cross is one of the old crosses that were set up by the monks to guide them across the moor.  The name "Bennett's" is probably a corruption of "Benedictine".

From the cross I headed in an easterly direction following the Two Moors Way to ascend the northern slope of Birch Tor.  Close to the summit is this shelter.  I don't know if it is ancient or if it was constructed in recent times.

This is the view looking back down to the car park.  The white building in the distance is the Warren House Inn.  Beyond that almost on the horizon is Princetown.

Continuing down on the other side of the tor there is a good view of the distant countryside.  The small white patch in the centre of this photo is a former reservoir that was used in connection with nearby tin mining.

Looking to the south-east is Hookney Down and King Tor.

Continuing downhill, I arrived at the reservoir.

A nice clump of Bog Asphodel on a mound in the reservoir.

I soon arrived at West Coombe Farm, where with some hesitation I went through the yard in front of the house.  The map indicated that the footpath went this way, but there were no signs that I could see.  After the farm the path continues between high hedges.

Further on the path crosses the main road and enters several hay meadows.  In one of the meadows the grass was being cut by a tractor & mower.  On reaching the tractor I was surprised to see that it was being driven by an attractive young girl with a ponytail, wearing a bikini top.  :o   Of course, I averted my eyes.  ;)   I resisted the temptation to take a photograph so you will have to make do with these.

Shortly after, I walked into the isolated hamlet of Lettaford, where there is an excellent example of a medieval Dartmoor longhouse.  These houses were built with an entrance leading into a central corridor that was used by both the residents and their cattle.  The residents went in and turned left into the house and the cattle went in and turned right into the barn. It's a shame that the roof on this one is no longer thatched.

From Lettford the path continues down this lane, which is marked on the map as an ancient trackway.

At the end of this lane there is a ford and clapper bridge over the River Bovey, which was an excellent place to stop and have lunch. I sat there for some time watching small trout jumping for flies.

Suitably refreshed I continued through the hamlet of Jurston, then on past a number of farms where finding the correct path was not always easy.  In fact I went wrong once and had to retrace my steps.
I came across this unusual stile that was fixed to the gate.

This is the view looking north towards Meldon Hill.

I then arrived at the road that leads to Fernworthy Reservoir and continued on this road for a while, turning off onto open moorland before reaching the reservoir, and heading south to Hurston Ridge where there is a good example of a Bronze Age double stone row.

From the stone row it was just a short walk back to the car, which was still being guarded by the Highland cattle.
The total length of the walk was just over 8 miles.  I prefer longer walks on Dartmoor, but it was extremely hot yesterday and although I quite enjoy the heat I find that the length of my walks is limited by the amount of water that I am physically able to carry.

bootson

• Veteran Member
Re: Dartmoor walk from Bennett's Cross
« Reply #1 on: 18:23:11, 19/07/16 »
Enjoyed looking at your TR. Interesting  O0

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:37:34, 19/07/16 »
What a beautiful day a lovely walk and lovely foties.  I like the Dartmoor Longhouse and the bronze age stones.  We've only ever done one walk on Dartmoor, but it's a long way for us.  I'm sure we'll get there sooner or later.   :) :)

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:17:54, 19/07/16 »
Thanks bootson  O0

Thanks also dittzzy.  Yes, we are a long way from anywhere down here.  We visit the Dales every year and it takes us about 8 hours to get there.  It's always worth the long journey though.  O0

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:48:56, 20/07/16 »
Looks like a lovely walk and the photos are great!  O0  The double-row of standing stones is fascinating, I've never seen anything like that before.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:33:08, 20/07/16 »
Thanks adalard.  There are over 70 of these stone rows on Dartmoor.  Some are single rows, others like this one are double, and there are also a few triple rows.  They were set up by the Bronze Age people about 4,000 years ago but no-one is quite sure of their purpose.  Some of them have a burial mound at one end, so it is possible that the rows marked a processionary route to the grave.  As well as stone rows, there are also many stone circles, menhirs and hut circles on Dartmoor.  I enjoy finding them and trying to imagine what life must have been like back then.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:35:42, 20/07/16 »
Lovely pics and nice TR. We walked from Bennetts Cross ourselves last week - round Fernworthy reservoir over to Scorhill stone circle and slid through the Tolmen stone. As usual we called into the Warren House Inn and got talking to the barman. The Highland cattle are his and he has 50 out on the moor.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:22:33, 20/07/16 »
Thanks Jac.  You'd better be careful - I thought that passing through the tolmen stone was some sort of fertility rite?  ;)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:19:04, 21/07/16 »
Thanks Jac.  You'd better be careful - I thought that passing through the tolmen stone was some sort of fertility rite?  ;)

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:44:38, 21/07/16 »
My first thought when I saw the row of two stones is that they are a row of graves  ???

Lovely trip report and piccies - I enjoyed reading it with my morning cuppa  O0

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:14:51, 21/07/16 »
Thanks Mel  O0

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:06:45, 21/07/16 »
Thanks for posting this TR - what a glorious walk - with a bit of everything.
The Dartmoor longhouse is quite something. Do you know of any that still retain a thatched roof ? 
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:43:05, 21/07/16 »
Thanks IM.  Yes, there are still some longhouses with thatched roofs.  Perhaps the most well-known one on Dartmoor is Higher Uppacott, near Widecombe-in-the-Moor.  This one is owned by the National Park Authority and is Grade 1 listed.  It is open to the public on certain days.  There is an excellent "virtual tour" here:-

http://www.virtuallydartmoor.org.uk/visit-uppacott2.html

If you click on the green arrows you can go into the various rooms.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:12:08, 21/07/16 »
Thanks IM.  Yes, there are still some longhouses with thatched roofs.  Perhaps the most well-known one on Dartmoor is Higher Uppacott, near Widecombe-in-the-Moor.  This one is owned by the National Park Authority and is Grade 1 listed.  It is open to the public on certain days.  There is an excellent "virtual tour" here:-

http://www.virtuallydartmoor.org.uk/visit-uppacott2.html

If you click on the green arrows you can go into the various rooms.
Thanks DD, that is a fabulous web-site, both for the technical aspects of the house and the history/social side of it.   O0
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy