Author Topic: Fountains Abbey-ish  (Read 2930 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Fountains Abbey-ish
« on: 10:15:11, 10/04/17 »
Putting this under Dales as its a walk from my AA "50 walks in the Yorkshire Dales" book. Driving to the more southerly carpark of Fountains Abbey yesterday in fab sunshine, it was full apart from disabled spaces, so had to park in the main carpark further North at Fountains-thankfully not full up-and walk back down the narrow roads :(
starting the walk proper, I finally left the road to follow a bridleway. A view of Fountains

through a farmyard

through woods

an archway with a PROW going into the Fountains estate......does this mean you can get FREE access to the NT Fountains estate? I must check.....

Markenfield Hall is at the back of this gatehouse.....apparently the gatehouse is "phoney" ie 200 yrs younger than the hall!

smelly oil seed rape, thankfully the wind blew the smell away, instead I got the manure smell :(

Strait Lane was nice..........I passed a bees nest in a tree right by the path, I blundered through the bees before I realised....thankfully didn't get stung. Took a pic but the bees just didn't show at all, so deleted it.

think this is the first Ramsons I saw this year?

xmas trees

first bluebells this year

Lesser/Greater Stitchwort (?).....used to know without checking.

How Hill Tower

a big [censored]

a building in the Fountains estate

Violets

6.5 miles or so walk, the last bit was tedious roadwalk, all the more so as I had to walk all the way back to the main carpark, as the lower one had been full. Wont do this one again, though it did have some decent  bits. Back at the carpark/visitor centre, consoled myself with a huge chocolate ice cream, at £3.15 think its the priceiest I ever bought, but the car parking was free! :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Fountains Abbey-ish
« Reply #1 on: 10:30:49, 10/04/17 »
Nice pics and good TR Pleb  O0
YA GREEDY BOGGER.  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:37:01, 10/04/17 »
Not as greedy as you and your boozing........................... :D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:11:23, 10/04/17 »
Nice pics pleb  O0

Are you an ice cream addict? :D
Hate will never win

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:42:33, 10/04/17 »
Interesting TR, and photos. would How Hill Tower be described as an agricultural building in it's original build. Just that I have started a bit of a collection of photos of old buildings from the agricultural revolution. Its also quite a good ploy to get into conversation with the the occupiers of the countryside be they farmer or landowner, or that rather mixed up version, if they are both wrapped up in the same package.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:43:33, 10/04/17 »
Lovely pictures. I've only been up to Fountains Abbey once so haven't explored the areas outside/around it, was nice to see what's on the peripheries of the estate.  O0

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:56:17, 10/04/17 »
Interesting TR, and photos. would How Hill Tower be described as an agricultural building in it's original build. Just that I have started a bit of a collection of photos of old buildings from the agricultural revolution. Its also quite a good ploy to get into conversation with the the occupiers of the countryside be they farmer or landowner, or that rather mixed up version, if they are both wrapped up in the same package.
No idea about that...............suspect its a relic from abbey days. Google may help.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:01:26, 10/04/17 »
According to a mate that lives just outside the estate, there used to be tracks/roads right across - direct routes from the Abbey to Fountains, or something like that - new owner shut them all down, didn't want oiks all over his land.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:24:07, 10/04/17 »
Nice photos pleb, love the flowers O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

John Walker

« Reply #9 on: 21:50:22, 10/04/17 »
Lovely pictures!  It's a early spring everywhere for flowers isn't it?  BTW I've never heard the name Ramsons before,  I call those white flowers wild garlic :)
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:09:58, 11/04/17 »
Far as I can see from Walkhighlands site, the PROW going into the estate from the ruined arch doesn't take you into the paying part of the estate......hardly surprising really!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy