Author Topic: Travel costs from Portsmouth, hike in the UK or France?  (Read 584 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I hope to get a 5 day hike in before the end of September so I've looked at two possibilities. First, to catch the train to Penrith and then hike in the Lake District. The cheapest fare is about £85.50 return, with my Senior Railcard! My second choice is to catch the ferry to and from Caen, catch a bus to Felaise and then hike back through the Suisse Normandy area via the GR34, the ferry return fare is £60!

Ok, the landscape is different but if I can fit it in, I'm off to France!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Travel costs from Portsmouth, hike in the UK or France?
« Reply #1 on: 22:00:21, 12/09/17 »
Food and wine is better too. Good area for cider too.

Seriously, if you are thinking of camping check site availability. The French have a strong view when you should go on holiday and open and close accordingly. As an illustration, we went to Rocamadour at the end of September, the hotel we stayed at was the only one left open and closed the day we left. The entire village was then closed until Easter with a caretaker population of around 40. Rocamadour is second only to the Mont St Michel as a tourist attraction outside Paris.
« Last Edit: 22:11:25, 12/09/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Travel costs from Portsmouth, hike in the UK or France?
« Reply #2 on: 15:06:38, 13/09/17 »
I have been caught out by sites closing for the winter before, the ones I've looked in this area suggest they will close at the end of September.

I hiked through Rocamadour last year, I really enjoyed the approach to it and the route after it as well. My campsite was at the top of the steep street, I had to walk up it on a very, very hot day, I was exhausted!

It made me realise why so many UK people move to this area, so much going for it!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy