Author Topic: best way of drying altberg boots  (Read 1415 times)

nesty

best way of drying altberg boots
« on: 12:24:47, 05/10/17 »
I understand the answer might be on here somewhere.
Yesterday walked through a stream which deeper than the top of my altbergs. Yes I know gaiters would of prevented this?
What's best way to dry them out?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: best way of drying altberg boots
« Reply #1 on: 12:34:07, 05/10/17 »
This might help http://www.altberg.co.uk/military/drying-boots-out/

I suppose a lot depends on the ambient air temperature and airflow but the last time I did it with Altberg Sympatex lined boots it took about 3 days to get them fully dry. It might be a good idea to take the opportunity to give the insides a rinse round with some Nikwax Tech Wash and a thorough rinsing after with plenty of clean water. Same for the insoles.

Hanging them upside down near an open window with some airflow helps.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:48:57, 05/10/17 »

Stuff them with newspaper to get rid of the worst of the wet?
Then as kinkyboots said.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:16:45, 05/10/17 »
Silica Gel bags are the absolute best and quickest way to dry boots, shoes and all sorts.  Buy the crystals, (ebay local chemist? etc.) pack into two old socks loosely, tie them off with string, pop into boots and hey presto, dry boots fairly quickly. dry out sock packs on radiator, when dry pop into a plastic bag ready for use next time needed. Last forever.

or for £2.99 the electronic version at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Viskey-Portable-Electronic-Heater-Shoes-Dryer/dp/B00OCGQ05C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507212703&sr=8-1&keywords=boot+dryers
Too little, too late, too bad......

nesty

« Reply #4 on: 17:19:09, 05/10/17 »
Ok many thanks for the replies. News paper installed inside.

Good job I have 4 other pairs with me for backup!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:46:21, 05/10/17 »
Slowly, and away from any direct heat, such as near a radiator or fire.
What ever the material the boots are made of, leather or synthetic, dry them out slowly, in a cool constant temperature.
Placing boots too close to a direct heat source will dry them out too quickly, and possibly cause damage to the stitching.

Regular use of newspaper inside, will slowly draw the moisture out of the boots, but never force dry a boot.

nesty

« Reply #6 on: 21:05:10, 05/10/17 »
I don't have the option of intense heat anyway in a campervan. Slow natural is the only way open to me.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:25:08, 06/10/17 »
I will never forget a group of experienced walkers i met, whilst staying at the then Capel Y Fin Youth Hostel, back in 1985.
They were so intent on force drying their soaking boots, that they placed them in front of the roaring fire, you could see the steam being emitted into the room.
I did not want to tell them of their mistake, as i could see they were experienced walker, and they should have known better, but i bet their boots gave up the ghost far sooner than later.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy