Author Topic: Sighting compass to improve accuracy (and realistic expectation of accuracy)  (Read 5576 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
We need an up to date way of saying “have the ability to read a map be that a digital or paper version” cos that's what it boils down to really.  If you can't read a map then your route might as well be printed or overlaid on a roll of wallpaper. 

I wonder how the original poster got on .... his last post was this  :  

I'm going to head out this afternoon for some more practice.  

... and he's not returned... should we be worried? Maybe his nav skills aren't as good as he though    :o

John Murphy

Without taking sides, the improvements are very relevant.
Electronics reliability.
Electronic sensitivity more likely to get a lock
More powerful chips to detect and remove 'noise'
Battery efficiency of the circuits
Longer battery life from the batteries
Systems that use GPS and Glonass for quicker, more reliable and more accurate locks.
All these make it less likely to fail and more likely to get a lock.

I agree entirely. Similar arguments exist about footwear used for mountaineering, boots, running shoes et al. Horses for courses. Instead of using a car would you regress to a horse and cart? :D :D :D :D

Chump

We need an up to date way of saying “have the ability to read a map be that a digital or paper version” cos that's what it boils down to really.  If you can't read a map then your route might as well be printed or overlaid on a roll of wallpaper. 

I wonder how the original poster got on .... his last post was this  :

... and he's not returned... should we be worried? Maybe his nav skills aren't as good as he though   :o

Actually, I've just returned. I got following a bearing pretty accurately, but it was 180 degrees out. I followed a single bearing from Linn of Dee to Aviemore - but via the South Pole  :D  Hence why it took me 11 months!

On a serious note, after much practice in the dark (in the Ochils) I came to the conclusion that any difference in accuracy due to compass type (assuming that whatever compass being used was of a reasonable quality) was irrelevant relative to the inaccuracy of stumbling around the snowy Ochils in the dark! Relating both beginning and end points of any leg to the map and ground - and having experience of doing so  - Was much more important.

Of course, the excellent summer weather we had this year meant that I barely used a map, never mind a compass, between March and August. So I'm well out of practice.

Jim Parkin

Actually, I've just returned. I got following a bearing pretty accurately, but it was 180 degrees out. I followed a single bearing from Linn of Dee to Aviemore - but via the South Pole  :D  Hence why it took me 11 months!

On a serious note, after much practice in the dark (in the Ochils) I came to the conclusion that any difference in accuracy due to compass type (assuming that whatever compass being used was of a reasonable quality) was irrelevant relative to the inaccuracy of stumbling around the snowy Ochils in the dark! Relating both beginning and end points of any leg to the map and ground - and having experience of doing so  - Was much more important.

Of course, the excellent summer weather we had this year meant that I barely used a map, never mind a compass, between March and August. So I'm well out of practice.
This is part of it - look at how corse the resolution is of this orienteering compass and that is not a low-end product.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
It's why aiming off needs to be known about and practiced  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy