Author Topic: Hebridean Way  (Read 2519 times)

Doddy

Hebridean Way
« on: 16:14:46, 04/01/18 »

I shall be walking this later in the year. Like other LD paths I have done I wonder if I could use my micro camper and get too or from it each day by public transport. Any knowledge on the area would help me decide how to do it. Another option I could do is to drive or train from the Midlands to Glasgow -the flight into Barra looks appealing.
I could do it Early April or May or October ;which is preferable re the weather. I have done the Sky Trail and the Cape Wrath Trail both in May so I might be answering my own question

sparnel

• Veteran Member
Re: Hebridean Way
« Reply #1 on: 17:53:23, 04/01/18 »
Doddy  -   Island Plodder might be able to help you with this enquiry.  She is from these parts.........
May is usually drier than other months in Scotland.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:24:18, 04/01/18 »

As Sparnel says, May is your best bet, though October can be good.  The weather is not something you can rely on much in the Islands.  On the other hand there shouldn't be midges.
In theory using a microcamper would be a good way to do the walk.  There are buses, but not nearly as many as there used to be, but if you go onto the council website,  or just google buses Uist and Barra and then buses Harris and Lewis you will get the timetables, though they are a bit hard to follow.  Some of them are request buses, but the phone numbers are on the timetables.   Or if you stick your thumb out you shouldn't have to wait too long for a lift.  Or in desperation there are local taxi companies.  Because the islands are long and fairly narrow, you are never that far from the spinal route.
I would be inclined to be a bit creative about how you do the walk, there is a fair bit of road walking which some people skip, but there are nice alternative routes in some places which you could work out from the map.  Most of it you will find pretty quiet, and be warned, some of it is very boggy.  And if you go off the official route there probably won't be a path.
There is a TR on this site which I read with interest, it gives a very good idea of what the route is like.

snoopdawg

« Reply #3 on: 20:24:57, 04/01/18 »

Doddy

« Reply #4 on: 12:48:38, 05/01/18 »

Thank you for the information. I decided to fly into Barra and out from Stornaway and will camp or hostel along the Way. I am going in May.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:01:08, 05/01/18 »
Enjoy it.  I hope the weather is kind to you

Doddy

« Reply #6 on: 10:23:06, 06/01/18 »
I note from the posted link to the blog that there a few stores along the way. I wouldn`t expect massive places but are they sufficient to resupply from for the next day or so. I do try and get a bought meal once a day, or more if I can, and will search for Inns that do a meal. I do a menu plan so need to know how much I carry.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:52:40, 06/01/18 »

There is a co-op in Castlebay, a shop almost on the route in Eriskay, and co-ops in Daliburgh and Creagorry, and I think there's still a little shop in Howmore, in between.
Once you are past Creagorry there isn't anything until Lochmaddy, and a shop and café in Berneray about 1/4 mile from the ferry (incidentally the new bunkhouse should be open by then, also near the ferry.)  Bear in mind though that nothing is open on Sunday once you are north of Benbecula.
Further north, Leverburgh and Tarbert have reasonable stores and I think there's a little shop in Balallen. 
There are hotels/pubs in Castlebay, Eriskay and Daliburgh, one in Creagorry,  and one about a mile off to the west in Liniclate, a hotel in Carinish, another you go past at Langass but it's a bit pricey,  Lochmaddy has a hotel and a café in the Arts Centre, and  Berneray shop should be up and running for evening meals by then. 
Leverburgh has a restaurant and the butty bus,  I'm not sure how late the butty bus stays open, but they do good fish and chips on Fridays.  Tarbert has a couple of hotels and a chippy, then there are a couple of cafes on the way up to Stornoway which I think are on the route, but Snoopdawg might have more up to date info on those.
The main trick when travelling through the islands is to make sure you are south of Grimsay on a Sunday.

Doddy

« Reply #8 on: 15:47:12, 15/05/18 »

I have recently completed this walk in eleven walking days, it is 155 miles (247K) I stayed in three hotels, two hostels (one camping) and the remainder wild camping. A great trip though very windy some days making the hotel visits necessary as camping would have been miserable. Most commercial campsites are exposed.Not easy logistically to resupply; as shops are few and there are Sunday closures- another reason for using hotels for some decent meals. A fair bit of road walking. Pleased I saw my first Otter on a beach. [font=]  

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy