Author Topic: First Aid Kits  (Read 3508 times)

Rather be walking

Re: First Aid Kits
« Reply #15 on: 12:41:32, 12/01/18 »
A wire brush and dettol ;)

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:11:28, 12/01/18 »
Check out the rather handy looking First Aid Kit being sold by Dash4It.
It only costs £5.95, so even if it does not quite fit the bill, it might make a suitable item to have at home, and it looks well made and thought out.
That small red pouch it comes in looks rather nice, and i recon there's room for a few compeed plasters as well.

I recon its small and compact enough to fit in anyones rucsack, and it looks pretty decent value.
« Last Edit: 15:15:00, 12/01/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:18:28, 12/01/18 »
I haven't seen any made up kits that are any good for me, and I suspect that goes for the vast majority here.  Far better to make up your own based on what you as an individual needs, and more importantly could use when needed.  No point for example carrying a pressure bandage if you have no idea how to apply one.
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:20:37, 12/01/18 »
What do you think of the little kit ive suggested, being sold by Dash4It.
For less than a gallon of fuel, it looks decent value, and might be handy for that rare emergency.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:21:35, 12/01/18 »
I think it's rubbish having just looked at it. 
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:27:07, 12/01/18 »
Well, what do you expect for the money.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:37:42, 12/01/18 »
Looks like a standard basic first aid kit. If you added some bits, would be OK. Better than some I've seen which inexplicably have about 30 different shaped plasters in them  & loads of "cooling wipes".
« Last Edit: 16:13:14, 12/01/18 by NeilC »

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 15:41:39, 12/01/18 »
Really, that's all most of us really need.
You can of course add a few extra bits and pieces, depending on what you think you may need, but for £5.95, what else can you expect.
Its a basic emergency kit, something that we all hope we will never need, and its portable enough to forget about in your rucsack.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 15:46:43, 12/01/18 »
It's so basic it's of no real use on the hills, fine for at home when the kids get a cut maybe.  Plasters are so small I'd be embarrassed to use them, any bleed they covered would stop in a few seconds  ;D

Guess the safety pins might come in handy  ::)

For those interested (!) it contains:

•5 Plasters
•4 alcohol pads
•bandage
•triangle bandage
•2 safety pins
•5 gauzes
•scissors
•nylon pouch

The scissors look as though they could manage a piece of paper but not much else  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:52:21, 12/01/18 »
A first aid kit has to be portable, and light weight enough to carry every time you head into the hills.
Bandages, splints, antiseptic cream, the list is almost endless, and so will be the increased bulk and possibly weigh.
When you try and include everything, then the size and weight of the kit, may get a bit too large.

Ive sprained my leg once over the years, and managed to get some shocking blisters, but i agree, unless your attempting a very long walk, Pennine Way, Coast to Coast, when you will need a more substantial kit, this tiny kit will suffice for most of us.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:19:02, 12/01/18 »
... But i agree, unless your attempting a very long walk, Pennine Way, Coast to Coast, when you will need a more substantial kit, this tiny kit will suffice for most of us.

Agreeing with whom?  I certainly didn't say that and can't spot any post that did? That kit certainly won't suffice "for most of us".

Where there's a will ...

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 16:27:25, 12/01/18 »

What do you actually do with a triangular bandage?
I don't carry one, mainly because I wouldn't know how to use it, though I know it appears in a lot of first aid kits.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 16:37:50, 12/01/18 »
Slings, padding, tying limbs together ... numerous uses. O0
Where there's a will ...

RogerA

« Reply #28 on: 16:39:03, 12/01/18 »
I'll still go with carrying duct tape:

•5 Plasters (use duct tape instead)
•4 alcohol pads
•bandage (use duct tape instead)
•triangle bandage (use duct tape instead)
•2 safety pins (use duct tape instead)
•5 gauzes
•scissors (not needed duct tape tears)
•nylon pouch (not needed if you dont have the above)

Seriously first aid is not about providing first rate medical care you can go home with ... bandage over a gauze on a forearm held up in a correctly folded triangular bandage held together with a safety pin, its about doing enough to get you to safety or stop things getting too much worse until help arrives. If you're 3 days trek from the nearest settlement or on top of a deserted mountain you'll need more than if you're never 2 minutes hobble from the dog and duck.

Sloth

« Reply #29 on: 18:06:15, 12/01/18 »
Triangular bandages are great! As well as slings they can be used as dressings, as pads over dressings, as bandages, eye pads ect ect with a bit of imagination.
I try and carry a triangular bandage, a couple of bandages , steri strips, a couple of dressings, a roll of plaster, a couple of alchohol wipes and a pair of latex gloves oh and pain killers. I've got some duct tape wrapped around my poles as well. It all packs down really small and is quite light. I've also got some needle and thread but have never had any volunteers for stitches!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy