Author Topic: Vaude Power Lizard Gul 1 person tent  (Read 1956 times)

Zizag

• Veteran Member
Vaude Power Lizard Gul 1 person tent
« on: 19:01:10, 22/01/18 »
I have been looking and checking out this Ultralite tent

Quoted at around 700grams .

But find the Inside  headroom  75Cm ,

very low and Off putting .   

Plus the prices Very dear . 

Any thoughts ...................
Will be appreciated
 :)
Zizag

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Vaude Power Lizard Gul 1 person tent
« Reply #1 on: 20:25:21, 22/01/18 »
I have been looking and checking out this Ultralite tent

Quoted at around 700grams .

But find the Inside  headroom  75Cm ,

very low and Off putting .   

Plus the prices Very dear . 

Any thoughts ...................
Will be appreciated
 :)
Zizag
It's very light, but weight saving usually comes at a price,
There's little headroom as you say and you are meant to lie with your head at the higher end,
I don't like tents that are not symmetrical personally,
I would rather carry more weight and have more comfort, we have an MSR  elixir, we could have a lighter tent, but for us it's all about enjoying the experience,
We had to be realistic when choosing a tent an accepted the extra weight penalty
I personally wouldn't be comfortable in this tent, too much like a coffin
It looks like the rain would wet the inside when opening the flysheet for entry/exit
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:58:26, 22/01/18 »
I've just had a look at the site and the video. Personally, I wouldnt buy it, cheaper to buy a Zephyros 1, but then again I can be a right cheapskate when I want to be and I do not do enough hiking to may the outlay of cash. I'd rather spend the money saved on wine, beer and food.

OK its a light tent and it looks really flash but how really important is tent weight really? In the overall scheme of things (my fully loaded rucksack) I find its easy enough to carry, I don't consider my rucksack heavy, its no hardship at all.

Personally I'm a person who if using a one man tent I likes a big interiour and good headroom, thats what I prioritise first. I chose unwisely when I bought my Zephyros 1 (although it is a good tent) but I chose better when I bought my Marmot Pulsar 1. If I could choose again I'd go for a Naturehike Targa 1, a Chinese copy of the Tarptent Rainbow. On balance it looks like the Targa 1 has something superior over the Tarptent rainbow. On the opposite side to the tent entrance it has a half circle zip which allows the camper to put things outside of the sleeping bay but the gear stays within the outer tent area. Good for bits and pieces, like water bottle, wet clothes, boots possibly? I have a similar zip in my Pulsar 1 and I've always found it really useful.

At another level, the opposite to what I have just written, I'm also interested in buying a Snugpack Bivi bag. Not willing to buy a new model but just can't seem to find one. I'm willing to pay up to £100 for one. If you know of one I'll be most intersted.

I bet there are even better tents out there as well, but in the end I just couldn't summon the energy to keep comparing and contrasting them all.

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #3 on: 23:31:25, 22/01/18 »
I have a Crux X2 Storm that has been used extensively over the last couple of years (on Ebay now) but weighing in at 2.9kilos, also a laser Comp 1 (on Ebay now) - never been in the laser and it has sat in a rucksack for all the time I have had it.

I have had another tarp set up but it's not for me.

I managed to find a Nordisk Telemark LW2 for a reasonable price and is the reason why I don't need the other two

I never took the Crux on a wild camp - just too heavy.

The Laser was more a back up but I just never used it.

The Nordisk, I believe will give me the best of both tents, with some compromise on only having a 3 season tent but with footprint attached coming in at 1300g and I can have a virtually perfect pitch in about 1 minute.

Inner, fly & footprint in one go - attaching the footprint is a modification seen online - similar price as the Vaude.

A long time ago I had a Vaude Hogan and that was a fast set up as well, all in one go, a factor in purchasing the Nordisk - If I don't get on with the Nordisk I would have a serious look at Vaude again.

Good luck in your choice
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

Ralph

« Reply #4 on: 00:48:41, 23/01/18 »
I hope  you enjoy the  Nordisk, I have had the Telemark 1 for over 2 years and for weight and ease of pitch I can't fault it. It  has sheltered me in some heavy wind & rain and so far so good.

Stube

« Reply #5 on: 12:02:41, 23/01/18 »
I've had my Telemark 1 for over four years - I like it - but it is fragile, particularly during pitching wet in wind. Its asymetrical design can call for compromises when pitching on sloping ground.

I've replaced both the the carbon fibre main pole and titanium V-pegs it came with due to breakages. I've also had the pole separate and go through the pole sleeve during a wind gust! I regard it as a 2 season tent at best.

The tent is waterproof and warm and quick to pitch - but it can take over a minute just to thread the pole through the tight fitting sleeve when the fly is wet!

In comparison my TN Laser Comp 1 is altogether more robust, draughtier and about 150 gms heavier on the trail. I've never had any concerns about its strength. Pole threading is easier - probably due to the wider sleeve and the infamous pole sleeve protector now discontinued on the 2016 models.

The Telemark is more similar to the Laser Photon 1, both use the same weight of fly material.

The Lizard UL and GUL use an even lighter weight fly material so I would be concerned about its long term survivability - as were my local branch of Cotswold Outdoors which have sold all of them apart from the GUL.

Of course if you want to spend silly money there is always the TN Laser Ultra!

Nordisk have a new lightweight tent the Lofoten at ~500gms, but it has even less headroom than the GUL and is really a hooped bivvy.
« Last Edit: 12:19:24, 23/01/18 by Stube »

Ralph

« Reply #6 on: 12:37:35, 23/01/18 »
The only thing I changed were the V pegs for
MSR Titanium pins on my Telemark.As I said I have no problems so far .I tried 2  Terra Nova tents first and had to return them because  of pitching problems.The staff at Cotswold tried and failed to do any better, hence the Telemark.

Stube

« Reply #7 on: 13:10:05, 23/01/18 »
Interesting.

I have no trouble achieving a taut pitch on my Laser, but then I've shortened the fly side elastics by tying a knot in them.

The problem with the Telemark is getting the "foot" end of the fly taut enough to stop water pooling on the upper surface there. I've found pitching the guys at 45deg to the seams works best.

As you may have gathered I've done a lot of wet weather camping!

Ralph

« Reply #8 on: 13:31:20, 23/01/18 »
I've  done a fair amount myself, come to the conclusion that there is not yet a tent that suits all. Any thoughts  on tarps?, and new thread perhaps.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:16:46, 23/01/18 »
I tried tarping, just couldn't get the hang of it. I hope to have another go this year.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:30:24, 23/01/18 »
Dagnabbit GWM, get the tarping sorted out. I usually look to you for foryum guidance on stuff I'm thinking about.  What would be your purchase source of the Chinese Naturehike Targa 1, by the way?
Too little, too late, too bad......

Sloth

« Reply #11 on: 20:15:44, 23/01/18 »
I've got the power lizard 1-2, its quite spacious for 1 and you can get 2 in it with bags outside. While the fabric seems quite light it really is strong. I particularly like the way the tent clips to the outer pole, and the cord strengthener in side that keeps things taught. The inner is so light it almost looks like mosquito net. Its been a good tent for the last 2 or3 years. It will pitch without the inner to make it lighter. It weighs about a kilo. If I was buying now though, I would be looking at the Chinese knockoffs from Naturehike, most of our gear already probably comes from those factories.

Stube

« Reply #12 on: 20:52:52, 24/01/18 »
I also have a unnamed Naturehike freestanding tent ~1.4kg. It's heavier than the US originals mainly due to heavier/cheaper materials particularly in the groundsheet. I've no qualms about the general build quality.

Jimbob: You will find Naturehike and Geertop products on Amazon.

GWM You might like this supertarp/bivvy for its midgeproofness, only 550g and £210!

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/all-tents-c148/big-sky-international-wisp-super-bivy-tent-p6510

« Last Edit: 21:07:48, 24/01/18 by Stube »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:01:38, 24/01/18 »
Thanks Stube O0
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy