Author Topic: hello everyone help needed  (Read 1652 times)

danny c

hello everyone help needed
« on: 20:33:41, 13/04/18 »

hello everyone I need some help/advice on wild camping.
camping and survival is something I have been interested in my whole life and I am wanting to go wild camping with my children as a don't really like the idea of the commercial type campsites. I like the idea of us all having a backpack each and just walking finding a spot a pitching up and making some memories and not seeing another sole. the info I have found so far has got me confused to say the least so am hoping you more experienced men and women can help me out.

so the questions I have got are.

is there anywhere I can go where we could go just park up the car somewhere and walk until we found a spot and pitch up and spend the night with out getting any problems and without asking for permission ?

also small camp fires are they allowed?

any and all advise would be welcome and much appreciated.

thanks Danny

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: hello everyone help needed
« Reply #1 on: 22:39:22, 13/04/18 »
Legally? ?

Scotland except around Loch Lomond.

Too little, too late, too bad......

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:36:26, 14/04/18 »
To avoid repetition I refer you to our site linked below in my sig, but briefly yes, it's much easier in remote areas of low population density well away from dwellings. It's not illegal but you must pack up and leave immediately if requested by the landowner, the trick is judging the location to minimize the chances of that.

Please forget fires:- 'Leave No Trace'. At all. Though fortunately not common, I've occasionally seen infuriating remains of fires in the hills, stones pulled away to enclose them (even from dry stone walls) and no attempt even to tidy up the charred mess. It gives us all a bad name. If you want to get into that sort of thing in more suitable locations, it's in the realm of bushcraft, try the Bushcraft forum.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:04:52, 14/04/18 »
Individual small tents and how many, or a big family one?

For me wild camping is easy because I make a small footprint with my one man tent (soon to try out a Bivi) but also timing can be important. I do not try to pitch until at least dusk, by then hopefully everyone that might disturb me is tucked up indoors or down the pub. I don't cook whilst hiking so for me there is no fire. Depending on your tent size and/or space requirements you may have to make a personal judgement of taking a chance, or ask a farmer? Personally I would also suggest that you think about what time in the morning you will all be able to be 'up and doing and away'. Another consideration is, are you a noisy lot? Noise can attract undo attention. For me, I rise at the crack of dawn, I gather my stuff together and then walk on. I worry about food, shaving and so on, maybe up to two hours later when I've found a nice spot to have a break. Some people hang around their tent to prepare breakfast and so on before they decide to move on, or can sleep in for much longer than I can, its in these situations I think that you are likely to be discovered and are pushed into explaining yourself.

danny c

« Reply #4 on: 11:39:52, 14/04/18 »
Thanks for the replies people I think the way we would do it if we do would be with 2 small tents and we would be very respectful of the way it is to be done and do our best to leave no trace as I am into a lot of country sports myself that have been ruined by the minority of people with no respect so there would be no fires I think what I will do is go by myself first and see how it goes before attempting it with the kids in toe thanks for the replies and advice cheers

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:58:53, 14/04/18 »
Hi Danny

Lovely idea to wild camp with children. Wild camping is permitted on most of Dartmoor with few rules.

http://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us/about-us-maps/new-camping-map

Hope you have fun
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

danny c

« Reply #6 on: 12:23:24, 14/04/18 »
Thanks for the info jac

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy