Author Topic: Pembrokeshire Coast path  (Read 1442 times)

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
Pembrokeshire Coast path
« on: 23:36:41, 23/07/18 »
Never done this one before and was hoping one of you guys could help. Could some kind soul who knows the walk suggest a 10/11 day schedule that would allow me to get a bed for the night along the way ( too soft to camp now). Not sure which direction is best. Would be coming by train. Not even sure what station is best.
Hope to get a chance to do it at the end of August; in the absence of a better option springing to mind

John

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Pembrokeshire Coast path
« Reply #1 on: 02:22:11, 24/07/18 »
I did it a couple of years ago staying mainly in youth hostels. Maybe some of the information on my website could be of help.

http://brians-walks.co.uk/pembrokeshire-coast-path.html
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:31:36, 24/07/18 »
I walked it in 2015 walking from South to North I got the train to Kilgetty.  As the train was very slightly late the bus I was hoping to catch to get to Amroth had already left and there wasn’t another for two hours so I walked the 3 miles instead.  As I finished on a Sunday there was no easy way to get me home from St. Dogmaels so I got a bus to Aberystwyth and caught the train home from there on the Monday morning.  The path is quite "undulating" but very beautiful for most of the way!

I stayed at the following:-

Panorama Guest House, The Esplanade, Tenby
St. Govan's Country Inn, Bosherton
Hibernia Inn, Angle
Neyland Court, Hill Terrace, Neyland
Allenbrook, Dale
Anchor Guest House, Enfield Road, Broad Haven
The Cambrian Inn, Main Street, Solva
YHA Whitesands Bay, Llaethdy
Hampton House, 2 Ffordd-y-Felin, Trefin
Fern Villa, Church Road, Goodwick
Hengoed B&B, East Street, Newport Town
Harry's Hotel & Restaurant, 40-46 North Parade, Aberystwyth

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:13:40, 25/07/18 »
Thanks guys, will jump onto this soon. The two tidal crossing places...how close to low tide do you have to be?

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:30:06, 25/07/18 »
Thanks guys, will jump onto this soon. The two tidal crossing places...how close to low tide do you have to be?
Sandy Haven is supposed to be 2 1/2  hours either side of low tide but there is an inland route adding I guess another 4/5 miles.  Pickleridge is 3 1/2 hours either side of low tide, again there is an inland route adding I guess another 3/4 miles.  So plan ahead!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:36:59, 25/07/18 »

The guide book says about Sandy Haven..."if low tide is at 2pm you should be able to cross at 1pm"....so it implies you need to cross an hour before low tide at the latest....or do the 4 mile detour. It says that if you get over Sandy Haven as the tide is going out you will have plenty time to reach the next crossing.

Tide times can always be found online, I checked the day before I did mine and found I had no problem. One such site is https://www.thebeachguide.co.uk/south-wales/pembrokeshire/sandy-haven-weather.htm
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:13:56, 25/07/18 »
Thanks guys. I remember all this tidal stuff from the SWCP last year!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:30:44, 26/07/18 »
The guide book says about Sandy Haven..."if low tide is at 2pm you should be able to cross at 1pm"....so it implies you need to cross an hour before low tide at the latest....or do the 4 mile detour. It says that if you get over Sandy Haven as the tide is going out you will have plenty time to reach the next crossing.

I can confirm that as we did this last year though we walk slowly and the second crossing (can't remember the name)was only just dry and it might vary a bit with
spring/neap tides.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy