Author Topic: Daypacks  (Read 1956 times)

badgerboy

Daypacks
« on: 19:33:13, 25/07/18 »
Narrowed it down to a few different day packs, was wondering if anyone had any experience of any of them?

Berghaus FreeFlow 25
Berghaus FreeFlow 30
Osprey Hikelite 26
 Osprey Talon 22
Lowe Alpine Airzone Z 20
Deuter Mistral 30 Daypack

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Daypacks
« Reply #1 on: 19:39:16, 25/07/18 »
I've got the Lowe Alpine. Only had a few trips out with it up to now but so far,  I can't fault it.  O0 

badgerboy

« Reply #2 on: 19:42:16, 25/07/18 »
I've got the Lowe Alpine. Only had a few trips out with it up to now but so far,  I can't fault it.  O0

Do you think it's big enough for winter walks? (set of waterproofs, extra fleece, water and lunch) that's the only thing putting me off - it's the smallest!

Ronin83

« Reply #3 on: 20:13:04, 25/07/18 »
I own the Berghaus freeflow 25. As far as airflow backpacks go I think its the best system I found. Bare in mind though that the curve being so...curvy, does mean the bag is an awkward shape for fitting certain things in(eg boxes), but that harsh curve is what keeps you cool too.
For me that was important. It doesn't stop your back from getting hot and sweaty, but it does help.
It's very good quality, has decent storage/pockets/options and looks swish too  ;)
Any questions, ask away

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:23:52, 25/07/18 »

Badgerboy:
I'd say no, not really.
I bought it because I wanted a smaller pack for summer use. It couldn't take what I'd call full winter kit.
I have my waterproof jacket, Anker battery and leads, 3 Litre Bladder and a beanie hat in there. Some odds and ends in the top pouch (Buff, glasses and the like).
Once a butty box goes in, you miiiiight just be able to squeeze a micro fleece in there. Maybe.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:33:12, 25/07/18 »
I use the LA Airzone 35L.  Plenty of space then for both summer and winter kit  O0
Where there's a will ...

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:48:06, 25/07/18 »
I use the LA Airzone 35L.  Plenty of space then for both summer and winter kit  O0

Ditto! Well, for the winter kit anyway.. Hence the 20 version for me for summer. :)

wombat

« Reply #7 on: 22:39:00, 25/07/18 »
Hi, I use a Berghaus freeflow 25 in summer and find it perfect. I also use it for short winter trips, but for all day winter walks and if more kit is needed due to weather conditions i use a 30 year old Berghaus bullfrog 30/50 which i also love. As per previous comments care is needed to pack the freeflow due to the curved back  O0

badgerboy

« Reply #8 on: 00:57:57, 26/07/18 »
Hmm..
The oxa rapide 24 is on offer at go for £25, by the sounds of it I might be better getting one around the 25l mark and then saving to get a bigger one?

This would be a second rucksack for when my gf comes walking - otherwise be using an old jack wolfskin 24l airflow rucksack .. Unsure if I want to spend osprey money on a spare

20 seems perfect, 25 is slightly too big, but it's handy to have the extra if you want to take other things along or buy something en route... Think a 25l (ish) each would be good enough for most spring-autumn walks but I get what people are saying about winter needing more

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:36:23, 26/07/18 »
What is everyone taking with them in summer?

I manage:

3 litre bladder
Waterproof jacket and trousers
Small medical kit, loo roll, wipes
Lunch box
Map
Hat and gloves
Snacks
Lightweight fleece

In an 11 litre Osprey Talon. I suppose technically the bladder is outside the pack and the fleece is often in the bungy cord on the back but it will fit with a bit of effort.

nesty

« Reply #10 on: 09:11:56, 26/07/18 »
I have a Lowe Alpine Airzone Trail 35L. I selected this one as I wanted max day sack capacity without the bulk. The 35L Airzone (according to the Lowe Alpine website), is the same dimensions, as the 25L Airzone.
Also, has airzone ventilation on the back, so the pack isn't resting directly against your back.
Though you if you are a Go Outdoors member, you could price match + 10% off and get it for under £47, as I did!

https://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/bags-packs/daypacks/lowe-alpine-airzone-trail-35-backpack_1.htm?opt=45071&gclid=CjwKCAjw4uXaBRAcEiwAuAUz8CQuh6OhkScQX4Ds-Ksr8Hbm3jjlg0aQfAJT9_-VRRyifQej1WiQGxoCUrwQAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: 09:16:42, 26/07/18 by nesty »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:39:14, 26/07/18 »
What is everyone taking with them in summer?

I manage:

3 litre bladder
Waterproof jacket and trousers
Small medical kit, loo roll, wipes
Lunch box
Map
Hat and gloves
Snacks
Lightweight fleece

In an 11 litre Osprey Talon. I suppose technically the bladder is outside the pack and the fleece is often in the bungy cord on the back but it will fit with a bit of effort.
In 35 litre Kestrel

Much the same except I carry most of Mrs N’s kit too. Differences to your list are:
2 litre bladder,
Waterproofs x 2
No lunch box
Hat on head to keep weather/sun off, no gloves - it is summer
Sweater x 1 sometimes, Mrs N wears hers if it’s that cold.
Storm shelter and/or space blanket
Spare batteries
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy