Author Topic: Zip Off: Lakes Watch  (Read 3707 times)

Lakeland Lorry

Re: Zip Off: Lakes Watch
« Reply #15 on: 13:01:15, 26/07/18 »
As April says, the Local Plan Review for the Lake District National Park is currently in the proposal stage.

There's more info about it here:

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/planning/local-plan-review

Although the first stage is closed, there will be a chance for the public to have their say.   You don't have to like within the Lake District National Park to have a say about it either.

Petrolhead

« Reply #16 on: 13:27:46, 26/07/18 »
I have to deal with planning in my job. For this to get this far there are already very wealthy and very powerful people with some very vested interests in this who have no consideration for anything but their own personal gain. Their voice will be heard much more than ours. Unless we all club together.

Proposal stage is ABSOLUTELY the time to be fighting this. If it goes beyond that then it's going to be significantly more difficult to fight.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:19:57, 26/07/18 »
For this to get this far there are already very wealthy and very powerful people with some very vested interests in this who have no consideration for anything but their own personal gain.

Now...… I wonder who this could be? Wires across a quiet valley? This time carrying gondolas?  :-\

Mike Turnip?  :o  ;)

(Sorry, I mean Turner)

I have just joined Friends of the Lake District as a member. I should have joined after the Thirlmere Rally.
Hate will never win

Petrolhead

« Reply #18 on: 13:38:14, 27/07/18 »
Now...… I wonder who this could be? Wires across a quiet valley? This time carrying gondolas?  :-\

Mike Turnip?  :o ;)

(Sorry, I mean Turner)

I have just joined Friends of the Lake District as a member. I should have joined after the Thirlmere Rally.

So I've been doing some digging. Honestly the more I look into this the more disgusting it gets.

There are two immediate plans of attack I can see:

1. UNESCO have already said they disagree strongly with the proposals. An excerpt from their report reads:

"The IUCN raised concern over tourism pressure and potential adverse impacts from tourism that may affect the balance of culture-nature in the Lake District, in particular erosion produced by heavily impacted walking trails in forested areas. IUCN reinforced the need for the State Party to implement 4 long-term monitoring of tourism impacts (among other threats to the cultural landscape and specifically its natural components).  
Given the above, we do not believe it is appropriate to support all types of year-round tourism within the National Park, as set out in Policy 19 (this is because some activities are more damaging to the landscape when carried out in the winter than in the summer). The approach taken does not meet the recommendations made by ICOMOS in the UNESCO World Heritage Site evaluation report, in relation to tourism as set out below, nor does it address the concerns raised in the World Heritage Site description regarding the integrity of the Lake District:-
In conclusion, ICOMOS considers that the management system for the property is overall adequate; however, special attention is needed to ensure that impacts of tourism are reduced, and economic benefits from tourism go more directly to the agro-pastoral sector."  

So, pressure on UNESCO to review the WHS accreditation is key. I would have thought the Lake District couldn't possibly suffer the embarrassment of it being revoked and the subsequent media coverage.

2. Rory Stewart, MP for Cumbria. Also Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. Mr Stewart spent two years walking around 6,000 miles through Asia, so is clearly a very keen walker. He was also instrumental in the expansion of the Lake District, introduced the plastic bag tax, was responsible for bringing the first draft of the 25 year environment plan in which he emphasised biodiversity and ecosystems, supported the bid for the UNESCO heritage bid etc. etc.

He seems like he could (should!) be an ally plus it appears he is rather close to Theresa May, who herself seems to be a relatively keen walker. That seems a very clear route to the top in my opinion and should be used as such. I'm looking into this (well my wife is!) to see what can be done to make it into a point that can't be ignored. If all else fails I'll stand outside Downing Street with a sandwich board and call all the press in.

Finally, I've been looking up this Mike Turnip. What a low life money grabbing scumbag he is. Quotes:

"The Lake District should not be preserved in aspic"

"The Lake District is not just for mountain climbers and fell walkers. It is for everyone"

"The Thirlmere Activity Hub will create the equivalent of 28 full-time jobs and attract an extra 127,000 visitors a year" (and lots and LOTS of money for you Mike huh?)

"Zip lines and cycle tracks are clearly not environmental matters – they are emotional ones. This debate is rapidly and sadly becoming about who should be using the landscape and what they should be doing in it. I for one want to see more people enjoying it." (read "I for one want to rinse it for every penny I can...")

And this propaganda from the Cumbria Chamber of Commerce is extremely worrying too:
http://www.cumbriachamberofcommerce.co.uk/why-cumbria-needs-the-thirlmere-zipwire/

This is all upsetting beyond belief. I simply can't believe it's got to this stage already without someone stepping in and clipping his wings, and those of his narrow minded, short sighted supporters. I absolutely see this as our Hetch Hetchy (anyone who doesn't know the history of this, please look it up, it's quite the story). I'm feeling the spirit of John Muir welling up inside me...

FLD are doing a magnificent job, clearly. What they don't seem to have is exposure, I knew nothing of this until I joined this forum. We can ALL help with that. I have quite a few ideas I'm going to put into practice as soon as I can. I'd like to think the owners and moderators of this forum would get behind this with a proper push too. There are thousands of active members on here, in my opinion every single one should be up and arms about it, even if they live no where near the Lake District, even if they have no intention of ever visiting. If this starts to move and these things happen, these evil money grabbers will move on to the next place but with more momentum.

What next? The Cairngorms? This is OUR land for US to enjoy. Not a vehicle for selfish people to expand their already considerable wealth at the expense of (in my opinion) Englands greatest treasure.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:21:51, 27/07/18 »
There are even more ridiculous quotes from Mr Turnip  :o You don't have to look that hard to find them  :D

Thankfully he was thwarted by the MOD with his Thirlmere plans. We will never know how the LDNP would have decided about the plans now.

We will be there at Downing Street with you, along with most people on this forum, I am sure.

Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #20 on: 12:51:59, 30/07/18 »
Friends of the Lake District are holding a rally on Latrigg this coming Saturday (4th Aug).

This is from their FB page:

*STOP PRESS* Speakers announced for Latrigg Rally Sat 4th August.

The strong local opposition to a proposal for a gondola-style cable car up to Whinlatter Visitor Centre contained in the Lake District National Park Authority’s Local Plan Review has added extra urgency to our Latrigg Rally where we will question, “What is the Lake District National Park for?”

The proposed Local Plan appears to prioritise the development of large-scale tourist ‘attractions’, ignoring its duty to protect the outstanding landscapes of the Lake District and the needs of local people.
Now really is the time to get to the heart of the question “What is the Lake District National Park for?”
Our rally will start this vital conversation and, we hope, stimulate an honest debate of the issues.
We want people to feel that their voices can be heard and do count.
Speakers
- Lord Clark of Windermere - the man who led the bid for the Lake District to become a World Heritage Site and has recently spoken out about his own concerns that the Lake District National Park Authority needs to put more emphasis on protecting the landscape which attracts visitors rather than seeing World Heritage status as a “money making venture”.
- Paul Rose - Polar Explorer, Diver and TV Presenter – currently appearing on BBC1 in his new series, “The Lakes with Paul Rose” which explores some of England's highest mountains and meets some of the folk who live and work in the UK's most-visited National Park.
- Terry Abraham - Acclaimed Film-maker and Photographer - the man behind the Life of a Mountain series: Scafell Pike, Blencathra and the third in the trilogy – Helvellyn – which will be released next year, whose passion for the Lake District shines through his work.
We’re asking you to:
- Walk with us from Keswick up Latrigg (which allows a view of the site for the suggested cable car route)
- Hear what our speakers have to say
- Give us your answer to the question “What is the Lake District National Park for?”
Suitable for: Any age but under 16s must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Walking: Moderate. 2.5km walk uphill (fairly steep in sections) on mainly aggregate/stone/soil path with approx. 250m of height gain.
If you have mobility issues but would still like to attend, contact Ruth Kirk 01539 720788 [email protected] Book your place:[/color]  [/color] https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/Event/great-landscapes-week-latrigg-rally

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:09:24, 30/07/18 »
Thanks for the heads up LL - I've registered for the event.  I think now is the time to start standing up against some of the LDNPA plans. 

I'm going to try to combine attendance with an early start walk, aiming to finish at Latrigg as the rally starts.

Paul

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #22 on: 13:26:36, 30/07/18 »
A lot of people aren't aware that Latrigg was the location of the first mass trespass in 1887

Around 2000 people gathered at the gate to Latrigg, opposite where the Calvert Trust stables are on Brundholme Road.   They were protesting against the landowner, Mr Spedding, who had padlocked the gate to prevent access to Latrigg.  After an address by Samuel Plimsoll (an MP and the same person who devised the Plimsoll line on ships), Mr Spedding, was asked to remove the locked gate giving access to the summit. When he refused, members of the group used crowbars to open the gate. Plimsoll’s support of these actions was an important legacy for future walkers in that access to Latrigg was never rescinded and it also led the way to the famous Kinder Trespass in 1932.  

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:43:36, 30/07/18 »
Friends of the Lake District are holding a rally on Latrigg this coming Saturday (4th Aug).

I'd seen this LL, it seems you have to book to go along on the rally though? Thanks for posting the info, I am sure there will be lots of people going.

We already have plans for Saturday - outside the Lakes for a change - or we would have gone/booked to go  :(
Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #24 on: 14:24:10, 30/07/18 »
@April.   

I can't go to the Rally on Latrigg either because I've already committed to leading a walk on the Whinlatter fells the same day.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #25 on: 14:26:19, 30/07/18 »
I haven't watched this all the way through yet, but it gives an insight into what the Lakes CEO has in mind for the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwGNxrmOKSc

Rather be walking

« Reply #26 on: 13:07:11, 31/07/18 »
Makes me wonder if the members of the department of planning Havant Borough Council ::) have moved up there (Only local people would understand).

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Petrolhead

« Reply #27 on: 19:01:56, 31/07/18 »
A lot of people aren't aware that Latrigg was the location of the first mass trespass in 1887

Around 2000 people gathered at the gate to Latrigg, opposite where the Calvert Trust stables are on Brundholme Road.   They were protesting against the landowner, Mr Spedding, who had padlocked the gate to prevent access to Latrigg.  After an address by Samuel Plimsoll (an MP and the same person who devised the Plimsoll line on ships), Mr Spedding, was asked to remove the locked gate giving access to the summit. When he refused, members of the group used crowbars to open the gate. Plimsoll’s support of these actions was an important legacy for future walkers in that access to Latrigg was never rescinded and it also led the way to the famous Kinder Trespass in 1932.

Brilliant story. Thanks for that!

O0

Petrolhead

« Reply #28 on: 19:07:37, 31/07/18 »
Ok so, I've finished with my contact via social media. Have left public messages on the accounts of UNESCO, UNESCOWorldHeritage, the Lake District official feed and finally I've left some very public thoughts for Mr. Lakes Chief on his account.

Next assault is the MP. My wife and I are putting something together.

And then directly contacting UNESCO.

Following that, I'm going to contact all the photographers on YouTube who frequent the Lake District as many of them have followers into the many thousands. So if they'd say something on their channel it would get a lot more exposure.

And then I'll post on the Trip Advisor forums.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:40:39, 31/07/18 »
Good work Petrolhead, the YouTube thing is a good idea to get the word out there too  O0

I haven't watched this all the way through yet, but it gives an insight into what the Lakes CEO has in mind for the future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwGNxrmOKSc

He sounds like Mike Turner when he talks about Zip Wires

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy