Author Topic: The one hiking item of clothing that I have never found!  (Read 1992 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I'm always on the lookout for a pair of very lightweight pyjama bottoms, made with some form of wicking material, with elasticated ankle cuffs to wear when I'm in my sleeping bag. I've ever ever found a a pair! I can't get on with sleeping bag liners, always end up in the morning trussed up like a chrysilis.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: The one hiking item of clothing that I have never found!
« Reply #1 on: 10:18:28, 27/07/18 »
A set of long john bottoms?
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:19:55, 27/07/18 »
Yes, I have a pair but a bit too thick for summer nights.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:26:48, 27/07/18 »

The ones issued to me by Aunty Betty for driving around in submarines were quite lightweight. Shame Dolphin has closed, you could have shopped there!

How about something like this https://www.baselayer.co.uk/Odlo-Men-s-Evolution-Light-Performance-Seamless-Leggings-O-184112--Black-product-1593-206
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:46:40, 27/07/18 »
Oddly enough I'm a fan of Odlo products and have such a pair of tights which I use in the winter when its cold. I have used them before hiking but being tight they are a bit of a faff to get on and off especially when in a horizontal position in my tent. I should have mentioned that what I hope for is loose fitting bottoms with elasticated cuffs. Sorry if I appear to be picky. I'm still keep my eyes open.

Stuff like this seems to have followed me through my life. I remember when I motor cycled to work, looked for boots that looked like ordinary street walking boots. I just wanted to get off my motor bike, go into a meeting and hope that no one would notice that they were motor cycle boots. I couldn't find any, the shops just sold boots with studs and other garish items and logos. I used to wear a motor cycle 'baby-grow' to protect my clothes, but the boots/shoes purchase always defeated me.

It was even a problem when I used to cycle from meeting to meeting. I just wanted to get off, go into a meeting and for no one to notice that my clothing was designed for cycling. I couldn't find a white shirt which was made with a wicking material, or a jacket, or trousers. I spent part of my working life having to swap items of clothing in the street, just to fit in with each meetings dress code as I arrived at each destination.

That was in the past, I assume things have changed now?

RogerA

« Reply #5 on: 12:57:08, 27/07/18 »
perhaps tights or leggings might be more lightweight

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:04:15, 27/07/18 »
perhaps tights or leggings might be more lightweight

I think we've been round that buoy.

Right what you do is take your second best pair of silk pyjamas as they are light and fold down small. Discard the jacket and sew inch wide elastic stirrups on to the end of the legs to fit under your instep. Simples.
« Last Edit: 13:24:41, 27/07/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Rajboy

« Reply #7 on: 15:33:09, 27/07/18 »
I use Rab 'Meco' base layers sleeping.
Buy a size larger than usual as more comfy to sleep in if looser fitting.
Easy to wash and dry fast.
Merino/synthetic mix.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:36:54, 27/07/18 »

For loose trousers with elasticated ankles it might be worth looking at women's pyjamas.
Or if you could find something that would do otherwise, you could always put the elastic in the ankles yourself.

staggerindragon

« Reply #9 on: 12:02:31, 28/07/18 »
Sadly, it's getting harder to find, but try an internet search for men's silk long underwear.  I love my silk sleeping bag liner/hostel sheet too!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:33:37, 28/07/18 »
Patagonia do silk weight long johns their made of capilene but feels like silk. Very light and makes good sleep wear.

KimE

« Reply #11 on: 12:34:07, 28/07/18 »
I use a merino wool set for sleeping clothes and doubbles as a middle layer in cold weather.

marmottungsten

« Reply #12 on: 20:06:23, 28/07/18 »
I use a Technicals Mens Merino base layer top and Technicals Mens Merino base layer pants as my sleeping night wear for camping.  Both are medium size, but the material is very stretchy so any of their size options can fit a wide variety of body sizes/shapes.
The material is 50% Merino wool - 50% Polyester...Which is warm, wickable, fast drying and, unlike pure Merino wool, or Silk base layers, it is machine washable.  They are also pretty light...The top weighs 200g and the pants weigh 177g.  You can get them from Millets for about £30 each, but I got them for about £15 each in Ultimate Outdoors in Kingston upon Thames when they had a sale on.
« Last Edit: 20:16:26, 28/07/18 by marmottungsten »

Ronin83

« Reply #13 on: 10:15:42, 29/07/18 »
This thread should be retitled 'lets talk about sleeping trousers'

Fitted(slim not skinny), stretchy, highly breathable, quick drying trousers with enough room for testicles.
They always seem to be really tight on the old Jacobs, in particular, when you lift your leg up in an uphill motion.

The ultimate, perfect fitting, strong, waterproof, non sweaty, comfy walking boots. Perfection is maybe a bit too much to ask.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:45:35, 29/07/18 »
GWM go to one one them hippy type ethnic shops and look at what they call Harem trousers, very baggy elasticated waist and ankle cuffs
In fact the interwebby thing may have some available to purchase online..
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy