Author Topic: Possibly the most ridiculous piece of lightweight gear ever!  (Read 4098 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Tread Lite Gear Hound ČO  Cuben Fiber Ultralight Collapsible Folding Dog Bowl 5g

Yours for the sum of Ł15.99 (I use the bottom cut out of a 2 litre milk bottle - weight 11g; cost Ł0.00)

Any other contenders for this title?

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
 ;D

Brilliant.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
"Ah but if you bought this you would save 6g; at a cost of only Ł2.66 per gram saved"

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
But think outside the box -
You can use it as a washing up bowl for your cutlery and mug (cannot fit a plate in as its on 6"), you can use it to have a wash, you can use it for the dog food (as well as water), you can use it to wash your 'smalls', probably loads more ………………..

In fact its so useful why not buy two ?

astaman

Since we are now going to such ridiculous extremes I feel inclined to ask if anyone as considered the use of powerful diuretics and laxatives as weight reduction strategies - they weigh next to nothing in themselves and could potentially slash the weight of food carried on long hikes post consumption. We've become better and better at shaving grams from the top end perhaps it's time to consider the bottom end! It may be the way forward in lighter than air backpacking.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
But think outside the box -
You can use it as a washing up bowl for your cutlery and mug (cannot fit a plate in as its on 6"), you can use it to have a wash, you can use it for the dog food (as well as water), you can use it to wash your 'smalls', probably loads more ………………..

In fact its so useful why not buy two ?

..or even use it -as- the plate?

On second thoughts, after seeing my dog's disgusting eating habits (excrement snaffled off the trail), no.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Since we are now going to such ridiculous extremes I feel inclined to ask if anyone as considered the use of powerful diuretics and laxatives as weight reduction strategies - they weigh next to nothing in themselves and could potentially slash the weight of food carried on long hikes post consumption. We've become better and better at shaving grams from the top end perhaps it's time to consider the bottom end! It may be the way forward in lighter than air backpacking.

But think of all that extra toilet roll that you would have to carry!

zuludog

From what I've heard of the durability of cuben fibre, and what I know of the table manners of most dogs, a cuben fibre dog bowl would make a good companion for your chocolate teapot

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member

I bet "Marmott" has an ultra-light weight version of toilet paper (its probably 'mesh' tho' and only ideal for use in the USA)

fernman

• Veteran Member

No, for that you use the pages of your book as you read them, or your printed maps once you've walked that section  :) .

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
No, for that you use the pages of your book as you read them,  :) .

Longer term, that may make the Kindle difficult to read.

beefy

• Veteran Member
 ;D ;D ;D  @everyone brilliant

Well fox will be ok, he can use his tent it's no use for anything else    :D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

fernman

• Veteran Member
Going back to the OP's question, "Any contenders?", if I owned a dog this thread could have been aimed at me!

Looking through my lists I see I saved 4.5g by buying a spinnaker fabric tent peg bag, 23g by swapping a plastic mug for a plastic measuring beaker, and so on. There are plenty more.

The top one has to be buying a little penknife for Ł7.99 to replace a Stanley disposable craft knife with the handle shortened, making a massive weight saving of - wait for it - half a gramme! Or should it be the perfectly good Braun battery shaver I've just replaced at great cost with a rechargable Wahl one that is 60g lighter? As it is discontinued I could only source one from Italy with a high postage rate.

I do add weight sometimes, though. For example a 17g rubber-and-plastic collapsible funnel for filling my water carrier is far more satisfactory than a homemade one cut from the top of a 500ml water bottle.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Or should it be the perfectly good Braun battery shaver I've just replaced at great cost with a rechargable Wahl one that is 60g lighter?

~ Or don't shave! That's how I started my beard 34 years ago.

note to self - wonder how much my beard weighs?  :D

beefy

• Veteran Member
~ Or don't shave! That's how I started my beard 34 years ago.

note to self - wonder how much my beard weighs?  :D
If you let it grow long enough you won't need a sleeping bag  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy