Author Topic: Sawyer Mini Filtration System  (Read 945 times)

jontea

• Veteran Member
Sawyer Mini Filtration System
« on: 09:02:22, 04/08/18 »
just purchased the above and asking for any tips on use and storage that isn’t mentioned on the bag from you regular users. Thanks in advance  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Sawyer Mini Filtration System
« Reply #1 on: 10:59:41, 04/08/18 »
When used, it will retain a bit of dirty water inside the filter, when you put it back into your pocket / pack / water 'kit' this water will drain out and contaminate your 'clean' water apparatus.

Solution :

Take a 500ml (or whatever) sized disposable supermarket water bottle, one with the thread that screws into the end of the Sawyer. Cut off the neck of the bottle and glue the screw cap onto the cut off end.

You can now screw the 'screw end' of the cut off into the sawyer and you have blanked off the 'dirty-end' and no cross-contamination can occur.

I would post a picture of mine, but for some reason when I click on 'add attachment' I no longer have the option to post pictures.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:10:44, 04/08/18 »
Whilst the sawyer gets rid of 'stuff' it is not effective at getting rid of 'tastes', you can still get 'earthy', 'stale' or 'chemically' tastes, to overcome this I use a Platypus inline carbon filter connected to the sawyer output side by a short length of the 'drinking straw' supplied with the filter.

This is the type of carbon filter I use - it removes pretty much ALL 'tastes'

https://www.addnature.co.uk/346255.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnZXbBRC8ARIsABEYg6CNT1-zNS-3ykIhjQuVB2HKfHXMql0-dZbI0PKsQ9ITHZ36H3vOQe4aAiQeEALw_wcB&_cid=21_1_-1_9_1930_346255_210875341811_pla&ef_id=WkDYXQAAAGfL7x-l:20180804100934:s

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:48:44, 04/08/18 »
Alan, doesn't adding an extra filter make the flow very slow?

re: the residue water in the sawyer, I just shake it out before putting it away.

Jontea, having some way of hanging your bottle or bladder up helps, I find it takes about 20 minutes to filter a 2lt bladder of water.

Back flushing regularly also helps keep things flowing.   

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:27:37, 04/08/18 »
Alan, doesn't adding an extra filter make the flow very slow?

re: the residue water in the sawyer, I just shake it out before putting it away.

I don't find it slows it down, its not doing any 'filtering as such' just letting the water flow over the activated charcoal.

I found that "no matter how much you shake your peg, the last drop always goes down your leg".
Shake the filter, and some time later there will be some dirty water that's back-draining.
For the sake of 'safety' (in my mind anyway) and 3 or 4 grams weight I'll blank off the dirty-end.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:44:48, 04/08/18 »
Thanks Alan and Owen, something to think about while I get familiar with it. Thanks for taking the time guys  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

dank86

« Reply #6 on: 20:59:17, 04/08/18 »
Back flush often and don't let it freeze I think are the biggest two

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy