Author Topic: Dot Watchers alert winter Wainwrights record attempt  (Read 1746 times)

emdaw

For those that might have Spine Race dot watching withdrawal symptoms, heard about this dot watching, you can follow him on the open tracking live app/site (can't post link as I am a new member). 

Dom Ainsley is currently attempting to set an official winter wainwrights record and then in the summer go on to break the summer record which is currently held by Paul Tierney, who in June 2019 completed in 6 days, 6 hours & 5 mins. Prior to that I believe it was held by Steve Birkenshaw who in June 2014 completed in 6 days, 13 hours & 1 min.  Think it was the fantastic Josh Naylor who set the original record of 7 days, 1 hour back in the 80's.  As I understand it there is no official record yet for a winter attempt so that's what he is attempting to do now then go for the summer record as well!!!  He is currently between Illgill Head and Slight Side. 

Found it very interesting to see the route he will be taking to link all 214 wainwrights in a logical manner, starting and finishing in Keswick.

Good luck to him, think he must be having a tough time of it with the current weather we are having over the last week.  Clearly this winter attempt will not beat the summer record but it will set the benchmark if he manages to completed.  Rather him than me.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Dot Watchers alert winter Wainwrights record attempt
« Reply #1 on: 12:32:03, 19/02/20 »
Very interesting, tracker here.

http://live.opentracking.co.uk/wwra2020/

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:00:10, 19/02/20 »

Seems he's going to be doubling back to the Northern Fells, Coledale and Newlands finally before the finish.  72hrs and he's done about 50?  Believe that would put his total time at around 15 days unless he gets a second wind. 

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:50:31, 19/02/20 »
Wow - don't envy him this week - must be like a marsh in places.  Thanks for posting up emdaw, and for the link Ridge.  Productivity here has reduced accordingly.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:04:58, 19/02/20 »
And that looks a pretty brutal way up Bow Fell

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:42:07, 19/02/20 »

Fair play to the fella for even starting in this weather O0  He probably thought he'd be galloping along over frozen turf under a  clear blue sky  :(

That looks like the Bob Graham runners route to Bowfell. I did it a few years ago ( definitely not as part of a BG attempt  ;D ) It's quite a nice way up http://www.karlswalks.co.uk/2010/littlestand24-04-10.html  

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:19:00, 19/02/20 »
Thanks Karl - looks an interesting route, I didn't know it existed.

Looks like Dom is now heading down the band - hopefully for a quick pint or two in the ODG  ;D .  It's peeing down here, so it must be miserable up there.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:34:05, 19/02/20 »
He's way off route, I wonder if he is calling it off.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:00:26, 19/02/20 »
Looks like I have joined the party a little late  :)

The weather has been atrocious for days, now tipping it down again, I wouldn't be surprised if he is sacking it.
Hate will never win

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:41:59, 19/02/20 »

Ta Ridge - bookmarked it.

Doesn't it just!
Skip

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:48:21, 19/02/20 »
Hoping for better weather from 6 March onwards as I start C2C then  O0
Where there's a will ...

emdaw

« Reply #11 on: 11:26:02, 20/02/20 »
Looks like he might have decided abandon??, he came down to Langdale last night, assume to get shelter.  Looks like his support vehicle eventually met up with him and took him to Wrynose pass but his last dot ping was at 23.48, still showing at Three Shire stone.  Can fully understand if he has called it a day, the weather has been really grim on the tops.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:39:37, 20/02/20 »
Yes, I wouldn't blame him at all, the weather today is terrible and it's looking pretty (very) bleak for the next few days.    

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:27:01, 20/02/20 »
Hoping for better weather from 6 March onwards as I start C2C then  O0

Me too. I had hoped to have a look at the Haystacks "notch route" when I was off on Mon and Tue but the weather has been pants. Looks grim for the next couple of days too. I thought it was nearer the end of March when you were starting sussamb? Have you decided which route you are taking? I suppose it will be weather dependent.

Hate will never win

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:26:35, 20/02/20 »
Yes definitely weather dependant but if all goes well I'll be following your fence line  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy